Ayr v Stenhousemuir 1/09/15

A comfortable 5-2 victory against a decent looking side with a shite defence.

That seemed to be the pre-season consensus with Stenny (well from me anyway, but a few others from what I can remember), some good players middle to front but big questions over the defence. 14 goals conceded in 5 games is pretty awful.

Ayr have added the players that they needed to to push them on. Thought after the Albion Rovers defeat they were still 3-4 players short but since then getting Preston and Moore up front and Graham at the back so they have 3 good centre backs will make a big difference. With that team they'll be play-offs no bother.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We are killing ourselves with our defending at the moment.It then leads to us becoming a bag of nerves at the back so nobody wants the ball and everything just goes long.We are really young at the back,Malcolm aside but we have to get them confident or this will get worse.

Best performance at Somerset for a long time but that is mainly down to Roberts more than anything else. A front 3 of Moore Preston and Forrest could really run riot in this league and that's with Trouten still to come back in. Real competition in the squad for the first time in years. Still hoping Graham will come back in to the starting 11 against Dunfermline thought he was excellent last Saturday.

Negatives were Fleming still think the jury is out on him. We need to learn how to defend set pieces aswell, always look like we can throw one away.

Ross Caldwell can GTF, didn't even look like he wanted to warm up then when he finally got on he was strolling about flinging his arms about, not interested in looking for the ball. He then managed to score and just turned around and wandered back to his half with hardly an acknowledgement of his teammates. FT whistle went and he was back the down the tunnel with his fastest turn of speed of the night.

Best performance at Somerset for a long time but that is mainly down to Roberts more than anything else. A front 3 of Moore Preston and Forrest could really run riot in this league and that's with Trouten still to come back in. Real competition in the squad for the first time in years. Still hoping Graham will come back in to the starting 11 against Dunfermline thought he was excellent last Saturday.

Negatives were Fleming still think the jury is out on him. We need to learn how to defend set pieces aswell, always look like we can throw one away.

Ross Caldwell can GTF, didn't even look like he wanted to warm up then when he finally got on he was strolling about flinging his arms about, not interested in looking for the ball. He then managed to score and just turned around and wandered back to his half with hardly an acknowledgement of his teammates. FT whistle went and he was back the down the tunnel with his fastest turn of speed of the night.

Agree about caldwell the boss wont take that i imagine he will have a word

Funny, I read the Caldwell thing differently initially. Scored, couple of small hand slaps but running straight back to the centre to get the game going again. Quite liked it as it was a bit of a statement; however, didn't pay attention to his half time warm up and didn't notice him running off at the end without shaking hands etc. Wee bit different if that was the case.

As already been said; very good attacking performance tonight but some ropey defensive moments. Poor at set pieces (although deliveries were good) and the odd shaky moment.

Moore definitely onside for his goal. Nicely in line with it on the North Terrace and although it was tight, he was in line. Can't wait for the highlights to show I'm wrong.

Funny, I read the Caldwell thing differently initially. Scored, couple of small hand slaps but running straight back to the centre to get the game going again. Quite liked it as it was a bit of a statement; however, didn't pay attention to his half time warm up and didn't notice him running off at the end without shaking hands etc. Wee bit different if that was the case.

As already been said; very good attacking performance tonight but some ropey defensive moments. Poor at set pieces (although deliveries were good) and the odd shaky moment.

Moore definitely onside for his goal. Nicely in line with it on the North Terrace and although it was tight, he was in line. Can't wait for the highlights to show I'm wrong.

Saw McCalls after match interview no mention of any problem though i suspect he wouldnt have went public we have to defend corners/free kicks better my only complaint,good to see Preston doing what he had chances to do against Forfar

Caldwell's gone from being the next big thing at a big Premiership club to third choice striker at a part time club two levels down in the space of a few years. His attitude was poor tonight but he's only human and it's understandable if he's feeling unhappy with how things have turned out. Don't write him off yet.

Archived