EPL on the brink of losing 4th CL spot.

TV company which doesn't have the rights to matches in saying competition is impacting on competition to which it does have TV rights shocker.

Or something.

To be fair, Sky don't have the Champions League rights either.

But then I suppose they're just being consistent. They've always rubbished the Europa League.

I was listening to Chris Evans on Radio 2 the other day and his sports reporter, Vassos Alexander, made some really snide comment about the Europa league, something along the lines of "here's the Europa league results for the one person out there who may be interested".

I certainly don't remember the Uefa Cup or the CWC being dismissed in this way. The English deserve to lose their 4th place just for displaying such arrogance.

What I still don't understand is why playing Thursday/Sunday is somehow worse than Wednesday/Saturday.

9.55pm Thursday - 1.30pm Sunday is 63h35m; 9.35pm Wednesday - 3pm Saturday is 65h25m.

A difference of just over 2 hours. Any professional footballer that's affected by 2 hours less between games a serious problem.

And even then that's only on the very rare occasion that a Europa League team is televised in the early Sunday kick-off. Normally they'll kick off at 4pm, which gives a longer gap.

What I still don't understand is why playing Thursday/Sunday is somehow worse than Wednesday/Saturday.

9.55pm Thursday - 1.30pm Sunday is 63h35m; 9.35pm Wednesday - 3pm Saturday is 65h25m.

A difference of just over 2 hours. Any professional footballer that's affected by 2 hours less between games a serious problem.

And even then that's only on the very rare occasion that a Europa League team is televised in the early Sunday kick-off. Normally they'll kick off at 4pm, which gives a longer gap.

While I don't disagree, there will also be the psychological aspect of it moving away from the usual Saturday kick-offs. It's very likely that most of the teams around you will have already played the day before, so you're playing catch-up slightly. You're also on TV - maybe that affects attendances, or general performance (unless you're Newcastle, in which case you'll definitely win). And when you have to do that at least six times a season, I guess it could build up.

Of course, if that's true then it's still ridiculous. It shouldn't make a noticeable difference. It's probably just down to being a reverse placebo - they've convinced themselves that it makes a big difference, so it ends up making a difference.

And yet another article from Sky running the Europa League into the ground.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11960/10099975/does-europa-league-football-damage-premier-league-clubs-domestic-form

Of course, the stats are meaningless without a baseline comparison, i.e. what was the average place drop in the entire league that season?

But by all means encourage Man Utd, Liverpool and Spurs to go out as early as possible. It just increases the chance of them not getting into the CL in future.

It's reversion to the mean.

The fact that teams are in Europe suggests they had a particularly high finish the previous season and so they're more likely to go down than up the following one.

• 2 months later...

No they aren't, they're over 3 points ahead for the 2016 list, which will determine qualification places for the 2017/18 European competitions.

They are currently just behind on the 2017 list, but they will have all of next season to make that up.

No they aren't, they're over 3 points ahead for the 2016 list, which will determine qualification places for the 2017/18 European competitions.

They are currently just behind on the 2017 list, but they will have all of next season to make that up.

so their behind, just

As I recall there are bonus points for QFs onward in both competitions.

If say Juventus and Lazio went on runs to finals, while the English clubs mainly exited in Last 16 or QFs (with associated fewer tie wins), could this 3pt deficit be made up? Or is it already insurmountable.

• 2 weeks later...

As I recall there are bonus points for QFs onward in both competitions.

If say Juventus and Lazio went on runs to finals, while the English clubs mainly exited in Last 16 or QFs (with associated fewer tie wins), could this 3pt deficit be made up? Or is it already insurmountable.

Yes it could be made up

Winning both legs of a tie and going through gets you 5 points (2 for each tie and one bonus point for reaching another stage) so if Lazio got through the round of 16, the quarterfinals and the semifinals they could amass 15 point on the way to the final, Juve only have one round of 16 tie left so they can only get 13 on the way to the final. Winning the finals would be another 2 points each giving 32 total. That's divided by 7 (the number of Italian teams in the competitions) to give just over four and a half.

England are guaranteed at least another 0.625 as even the worst case scenario see's Liverpool or Manchester United through to the last 8

• 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...