Every season, a new referees thread. Same old complaints, same old personal digs. Unlike players, managers & spectators, referees actually get inspected/observed. Unlike the previous groups of people involved in the game, they genuinely do it for the love of it, as they can never ever win a game of football, so the rewards of competing are out. The financial rewards are not huge, especially given the time most games are played - Saturday afternoons and Tues/Wed evenings are not ideal when you've just done a week's or a day's work. And, of course, we have a shortage of referees just now and will always do if threads like this persist.

Mr Hanlon's name comes up a lot in these threads. I've seen him ref over 10 times at least. He IS strict - but only because he actually goes by the book and, sadly, a lot of refs don't. I've stood next to managers and coaches saying to a feisty player, "It's Hanlon, no silly fouls, dinnae talk back, he'll book ye for dissent" - 5 minutes later that same player gets a yellow for a two footed tackle, then moans about it and gets sent off. It's not as if Mr Hanlon's reputation does not precede him - surely it would be excellent tactics to perhaps adapt to him, rather than expecting him to lower his standards. To be fair, I've seen games he's reffed with no yellow cards because the coaches and teams have had the sense to raise their games.

PS I am not a ref!

PPS I am neither Paul Hanlon or related to him!

PPPS I am not the Kelso goalkeeper...yet!

i play junior now and paul hanlon has refereed my previous games i have been involved in, i also watched him a number of times last season, which included duns v ormiston, how u can defend him and only call him strict is a disgrace, the guy has no people skills, gives players no respect, so why should he demand any? The biggest factor is that he has clearly never played the game before. Yes i agree with the fact that the level of football reflects its referees and everyone knows east of scotland is not what it once was but he is not capable of this level. this is not personal its fact.

If it was a fact then he would not be a referee. The actual facts are that he has his badges and passes his observations every year. I wonder how many players, coaches and fans can say they are qualified to make on the spot decisions. Like you, I have see Mr Hanlon in action several times and I have not seen him get into verbals with players just lay down what are the actual laws of the game. If you want a cuddly ref to have a wee chat with fair enough, he is not your man, but I'd much rather the players played rather than talked.

Been a critic of the guy in the past but today he refereed the game pretty good ( never thought i would say that haha ) but seriously he done well today. Got all 3 pen decisions spot on IMO and didn't go berserk with the cards today. Only gripe is he didn't let the game flow for both teams at times but apart from that he did good.

Yip got to agree Duns fan , Mr Hanlon did have a good game yesterday. Didn't get carried away booking people for nothing .Didn't have a great view on the Peebles pens , Duns one did look a tad soft, but have seen them given , so I am not saying he got it wrong. To say that Mr Hanlon didn't flash loads of cards, he didn't have too , don't think there was a real bad tackle in the game, to be honest in all the games I have seen this season , I haven't seen anything that a referee should be rushing to show yellow cards , and definitely nothing that has merited a red !

Yip got to agree Duns fan , Mr Hanlon did have a good game yesterday. Didn't get carried away booking people for nothing .Didn't have a great view on the Peebles pens , Duns one did look a tad soft, but have seen them given , so I am not saying he got it wrong. To say that Mr Hanlon didn't flash loads of cards, he didn't have too , don't think there was a real bad tackle in the game, to be honest in all the games I have seen this season , I haven't seen anything that a referee should be rushing to show yellow cards , and definitely nothing that has merited a red !

What was your take on the game??

My take on the game is easy , best team won , Duns looked a bit lack luster , with a few of there better players missing , with them in the side don't think there would have been a lot between these two teams. Duns did look a bit better in the second half after changing there set up at half time ,and I am sure Peebles would have been gutted if they had dropped any points after missing two penalties . Don't think the guy that took the spot kicks for Peebles will be on duty this weekend . On another day that could have come back to bite them .

My take on the game is easy , best team won , Duns looked a bit lack luster , with a few of there better players missing , with them in the side don't think there would have been a lot between these two teams. Duns did look a bit better in the second half after changing there set up at half time ,and I am sure Peebles would have been gutted if they had dropped any points after missing two penalties . Don't think the guy that took the spot kicks for Peebles will be on duty this weekend . On another day that could have come back to bite them .

Agreed! Duns were not at the races in the first half, gave Peebles too much space in midfield to dictate the play. With the improvement in the second half a think the wind played its part for both teams. We hardly threatened the Peebles keeper the whole game. Only thing he had to do was pick the ball out of the net. Peebles should have buried the game with the 2 pen misses and our keeper pulling off a couple of good saves. Hopefully there will be much improvement next weekend.

I took in my first E.O.S game for a 18 months last Saturday at Ormiston, mainly to see the new set up I`d heard about. I was a bit early!

The game was going along without any problems until the last few mins. I was fortunate to be standing at the botttom of the hill where Burntisland were attacking and had a perfect view of the penalty claim. This may upset a few but the ref was correct, the Ormiston player got the ball and then there was a collision with the Ormiston player also attempting to get the ball. The problem is the ref tried to explain but nobody wanted to listen apart from one burntisland player, no3 i think. This resulted in two possibly three bookings. Incidently the the goal that made it 2-2 was scored from an advantage played by the referee, he explaind he had seen the foul to the goal scorer as they celebrated at the corner flag in front of me, to the players credit he did thank the referee.

The game was ok but the players dont help themselves, I dont know who the ref was he was older than some ive seen, but seemed to get on, talk and have a laugh was both teams until the last few minuets.

As has been said they dont get everything correct and this guy didnt but the main ones were from my veiw. Best laugh was the Ormiston player arguing with the ref at the end about a throw in and its the worst decision he`s ever seen, the goal was scored about 2 minuets after the throw and its the ref fault they scored!! The juniors players are the same and most players in other leagues as well im guessing.

I`m also not a referee or dont know any apart from talking after the game. Back to juniors this week, maybe EOS next week, any decent game`s I`ve lost touch?

I was also at this game. No one was disputing the penalty. It was the fact the ball had went out for a throw in on the half way line just before the penalty incident. The ref gave Ormiston the throw in which was correct. However he stopped play for an injury then subsequently forgot who the throw in was given to and gave it to Burntisland. Moments later, penalty! Unbelievable. However the defending was poor that led to it..............

Archived