I took in the Hawick v Ormiston game last night. Overall it wasn't a bad game. I thought Ormiston were probably the better team, but credit to Hawick who took their chances and looked dangerous on the break.

However, Paul Hanlon was the referee! The SFA should be re thinking this appointment on a permanent basis. It was all about him. The worst tackle of the game went unpunished whilst Ormiston had a player sent off midway through the second half for a 2nd booking. The first one should never have been a booking and the 2nd one dubious as to who actually fouled. The ref could not wait to get the card out his pocket. Hawick had a player sent off late in the game. No common sense shown by the referee att all. No consideration for a wet pitch etc.

I watched how the referee conducted himself and spoke to the players and coaches. It's just not right. How can anyone have any respect for that!

General consensus from people I spoke to after the game from both sides was that the referee spoilt a perfectly well spirited game. I would tend to agree.

In general, the standard of the refereeing is poor with the exception of George Calder. You can at least tell that he has played a bit and give him his due, he speaks to the players before and during the game.

Thoughts people.

I was at the WW v EU last night and the ref and linesman were shambolic for both teams I may add

I have never had the displeasure to see so many incorrect and woeful decisions in 1 match

at least I had the solace that they were not biased just abysmal

The standard/level of the referee mirrors the standard/level that is being refereed, take from what what you will. They have an all most impossible task running it solo especially when pro refs have support from 2 linesman 2 behind the goals and a further official dealing with subs ect. Without them the game doesn't go ahead which is alot worse than 3 or 4 bad decisions in a game. No team can say that at the end of a season the decisions made by a ref doesn't end up 50% for you and 50% against, always averages itself out. Quite frankly I salute them because anyone that comes to ref an average standard like EoS with no real financial benefit to get abused and criticised as they do need all the thanks going

The standard/level of the referee mirrors the standard/level that is being refereed, take from what what you will. They have an all most impossible task running it solo especially when pro refs have support from 2 linesman 2 behind the goals and a further official dealing with subs ect. Without them the game doesn't go ahead which is alot worse than 3 or 4 bad decisions in a game. No team can say that at the end of a season the decisions made by a ref doesn't end up 50% for you and 50% against, always averages itself out. Quite frankly I salute them because anyone that comes to ref an average standard like EoS with no real financial benefit to get abused and criticised as they do need all the thanks going

Did I really read no financial benefit???

I took in the Hawick v Ormiston game last night. Overall it wasn't a bad game. I thought Ormiston were probably the better team, but credit to Hawick who took their chances and looked dangerous on the break.

However, Paul Hanlon was the referee! The SFA should be re thinking this appointment on a permanent basis. It was all about him. The worst tackle of the game went unpunished whilst Ormiston had a player sent off midway through the second half for a 2nd booking. The first one should never have been a booking and the 2nd one dubious as to who actually fouled. The ref could not wait to get the card out his pocket. Hawick had a player sent off late in the game. No common sense shown by the referee att all. No consideration for a wet pitch etc.

I watched how the referee conducted himself and spoke to the players and coaches. It's just not right. How can anyone have any respect for that!

General consensus from people I spoke to after the game from both sides was that the referee spoilt a perfectly well spirited game. I would tend to agree.

In general, the standard of the refereeing is poor with the exception of George Calder. You can at least tell that he has played a bit and give him his due, he speaks to the players before and during the game.

Thoughts people.

I'v had a good moan about the refs. All the competitive games i have watched this season every ref has been terrible. Even hanlon as you mention done us a great turn against spartans a few weeks back by sending off 2 two players and booking almost the rest of the players on the park including the spartans guys. Even recently against Stirling uni the ref gave out about 12 yellows in the whole game yet there wasn't a bad tackle in the game and recently the other nights game against spartans the ref sent off Brydon for the spartans kicking him in the bad of the leg and even got a pen yet in the second half we got a pen in the same situation and the ref didn't send him off.

We know refs do have a hard job and they do have my utmost respect but where the hell do the EOS get these guys?

Heres hoping the refs improve and we can talk about the football rather than the refs.

Another worry is that some of the younger lads are on the SFA fast track system and some of them even referee SPL youth initiative games. Is this really the standard that our game is aspiring to. Not to slate them on a personal level, but have any of them even played football at any sort of level. It would seem not. They don't seem to understand the game and as for any common sense prevailing......dont even get me started.

EoS is now at the 4th tier when it comes to allocating refs and is at the bottom on the ones who get the "Senior Listed" refs. The pro leagues come first, then Lowland/Highland, then Juniors, then EoS. After that its the grade 5 & 6 guys that ref amateur/kids etc.

So you are either going to get inexperienced refs who need the experience or "experienced" refs who are not going to go any higher.

Thoughts people.

It gets better, the Ormiston secretary did not name Brian Johnston on the team sheet last night which excludes him from being in the technical area, which is fair enough?

But when he tried to go into the changing room at half time, Paul Hanlon told him in an agressive manner that he would be reported if he tried to enter it as his name wasnt on the team sheet.............absolute bollocks, our secretary made a call and was advised that this was a complete nonsense, since when did you need to be on a team sheet to enter a changing room?

Just another example of this guys attitude towards players, officials and the EOS league, as you said eastlothianfootballer.....'its all about him'

It gets better, the Ormiston secretary did not name Brian Johnston on the team sheet last night which excludes him from being in the technical area, which is fair enough?

But when he tried to go into the changing room at half time, Paul Hanlon told him in an agressive manner that he would be reported if he tried to enter it as his name wasnt on the team sheet.............absolute bollocks, our secretary made a call and was advised that this was a complete nonsense, since when did you need to be on a team sheet to enter a changing room?

Just another example of this guys attitude towards players, officials and the EOS league, as you said eastlothianfootballer.....'its all about him'

it will depend why he wasn't named on the team sheet. if he is suspended (and we all know Breeks is partial to a visit to the disciplinary committees) then he is not permitted in the technical area duing the game and cannot be in the dressing rooms for an hour before and an hour after kick off.

Dont know any other reason why he wouldn't be on the team sheet.

I remember a previous EOS manager of a team somewhere close to galashiels who used to name himself as a sub and then abuse officials from the technical area whilst wearing his suit. When he was subsequently reported he said he was a player so wanted to treated as a player and not as a manager. Dont think that one worked then!

So can someone from Ormiston care to explain why their manager wasn't on the team sheet

it will depend why he wasn't named on the team sheet. if he is suspended (and we all know Breeks is partial to a visit to the disciplinary committees) then he is not permitted in the technical area duing the game and cannot be in the dressing rooms for an hour before and an hour after kick off.

Dont know any other reason why he wouldn't be on the team sheet.

I remember a previous EOS manager of a team somewhere close to galashiels who used to name himself as a sub and then abuse officials from the technical area whilst wearing his suit. When he was subsequently reported he said he was a player so wanted to treated as a player and not as a manager. Dont think that one worked then!

So can someone from Ormiston care to explain why their manager wasn't on the team sheet

To my knowledge, Breeks isn't suspended. It was a genuine mistake.

This is a thread about the standard of refereeing!

To my knowledge, Breeks isn't suspended. It was a genuine mistake.

This is a thread about the standard of refereeing!

Yeah I was just wondering if the ref was right in this case! Unlikely!

One the big issues with refs is they have phased out most of the older guys who were happy to be in the juniors and EoS and replaced them who are using the EoS as a development to progress higher in the game.

Another issue is that the younger refs used to be paired with an older and experienced assistant to help them and the younger assistants. This doesn't happen anymore either so we are left with inexperienced refs with inexperienced assistants.

I hear a story about Mr Reid a few years ago which was in relation to his chosen profession in Law and how we was courted by the SFAS referee high heid yins to be fast tracked. As we all know, lawyers make fabulous referees!

Every season, a new referees thread. Same old complaints, same old personal digs. Unlike players, managers & spectators, referees actually get inspected/observed. Unlike the previous groups of people involved in the game, they genuinely do it for the love of it, as they can never ever win a game of football, so the rewards of competing are out. The financial rewards are not huge, especially given the time most games are played - Saturday afternoons and Tues/Wed evenings are not ideal when you've just done a week's or a day's work. And, of course, we have a shortage of referees just now and will always do if threads like this persist.

Mr Hanlon's name comes up a lot in these threads. I've seen him ref over 10 times at least. He IS strict - but only because he actually goes by the book and, sadly, a lot of refs don't. I've stood next to managers and coaches saying to a feisty player, "It's Hanlon, no silly fouls, dinnae talk back, he'll book ye for dissent" - 5 minutes later that same player gets a yellow for a two footed tackle, then moans about it and gets sent off. It's not as if Mr Hanlon's reputation does not precede him - surely it would be excellent tactics to perhaps adapt to him, rather than expecting him to lower his standards. To be fair, I've seen games he's reffed with no yellow cards because the coaches and teams have had the sense to raise their games.

PS I am not a ref!

PPS I am neither Paul Hanlon or related to him!

PPPS I am not the Kelso goalkeeper...yet!

I took in my first E.O.S game for a 18 months last Saturday at Ormiston, mainly to see the new set up I`d heard about. I was a bit early!

The game was going along without any problems until the last few mins. I was fortunate to be standing at the botttom of the hill where Burntisland were attacking and had a perfect view of the penalty claim. This may upset a few but the ref was correct, the Ormiston player got the ball and then there was a collision with the Ormiston player also attempting to get the ball. The problem is the ref tried to explain but nobody wanted to listen apart from one burntisland player, no3 i think. This resulted in two possibly three bookings. Incidently the the goal that made it 2-2 was scored from an advantage played by the referee, he explaind he had seen the foul to the goal scorer as they celebrated at the corner flag in front of me, to the players credit he did thank the referee.

The game was ok but the players dont help themselves, I dont know who the ref was he was older than some ive seen, but seemed to get on, talk and have a laugh was both teams until the last few minuets.

As has been said they dont get everything correct and this guy didnt but the main ones were from my veiw. Best laugh was the Ormiston player arguing with the ref at the end about a throw in and its the worst decision he`s ever seen, the goal was scored about 2 minuets after the throw and its the ref fault they scored!! The juniors players are the same and most players in other leagues as well im guessing.

I`m also not a referee or dont know any apart from talking after the game. Back to juniors this week, maybe EOS next week, any decent game`s I`ve lost touch?

Archived