The Relegation Darr-by: Young vs Dods

After four away defeats out of four, this is the moment of truth for Rovers fans: was the Ayr United game a sign of promising, season-saving home form, or was it purely jammy?

We seem to have something resembling a skeleton squad now, but some reinforcements wouldn't go amiss. Things don't look pretty for Brechin either: their results and squad woes have been similar to ours, but it's very early in the campaign.

If City win by three goals they'll be out of 10th place; if Rovers win, we get an early 6-point cushion from the bottom, so this could prove to be an early 6-pointer. Both Darrens will see this game as winnable, so it could make for a spectacle.

Why did Dick Campbell always seem to prefer Derek over Darren?

Anyway, good luck to the Vers.

Albion Rovers 3 Brechin City 1*

*will probably be more entertaining than Thistle Vs Aberdeen. Shame I've bought my ticket already :(

I've been critical of Albion Rovers' new pricing scheme, but I'll say this for it: they give you your money's worth!

That game had everything: four goals, three penalties, a red card, a female linesperson, a wee ned lashing out, drama, tension, stramash, and the rarest of sights: a Ross Dunlop goal. He looked absolutely delighted with himself when it went in. Well done, Ross.

Well done also to the other Ross, Mr. Stewart, on another brilliant game in goals. He looks to me like an upgrade on Neil Parry; a safe pair of hands, always taking the ball at its highest point, and by and large a superior kicker. Granted, Brechin's only dangerous chances were the penalties- one well-taken by their best player, one not so well-taken, and saved.

The win was almost routine in the end, but it was hard-fought, and the Darren Young genius was very much on show: our style of play was as "high intensity" as Albion Rovers have ever been. They played good football at a proper tempo, with clever passing, movement and balls in the box. Nobody had a bad game, although some clumsy mistakes were made out of possession, not least Craig Johnston being allowed to make a 50-yard mazy run from his own half into the box, which caused the first penalty.

Our strikers got 45 minutes each, and a goal each. John Gemmell perhaps should have had two, but his "offside" is a matter better forgotten: I'll save the "injustice" card for another time. The trio of Mullin, Willis and Love were all players I thought might get found out in this league, but they have proved themselves fully able; Mullin especially has been so impressive in his forward role.

All in all, 6/12 is a very positive start to our challenging season, but we have a suspended defender already, and it has come at a bad time. It might be worth accepting doom at Balmoor next week and playing a 10-0-0.

Commiserations to Brechin, who have quality in their squad but look dodgy under Dods. It might be a long season for them.

Great 3 points.

Agree with Albino, Ross Stewart looking good although got out of jail with an elbow to a Brechin player at the second penalty stramash. In saying that how Brechin's no2 stayed on the park at the end is beyond me, probably because Gary Fisher needlessly got involved beforehand.

A pretty entertaining game all round- I think the ref got the first 2 pens right but totally lost it at the end.

Paul Willis' best game in a Vers jersey so far.

A welcome 3 points.

Thought Rovers were the better team in the first half, couldn't tell if the disallowed goal was offside or not, linesman certainly had the flag up early. Brechin's first penalty looked fair enough, thought the Rovers one looked a little soft but the ref felt obliged to award one. Deserved to be leading at the break though.

Glad to get the early goal in the 2nd half. We sat off a bit after that but did have another great chance to kill things off. I missed what happened for the 2nd Brechin penalty but a decent save by Stewart who I thought commanded his box quite well today. The sending off pretty much ended any chance of pushing forward for a 4th goal. How the Brechin player stayed on the park at the end is a mystery, just as well the game ended there and then as Ally Love looked intent on settling the score and having a square go with the Brechin fans.

So along with the 3 points the most pleasing part was the Beast and Barrowman getting on the scoresheet for the first time this season. The Beast came off at half time and had taken a knock just before the first half ended, hopefully nothing serious.

No complaints about the result today since we were outplayed all over the park. The defence couldn't clear, the midfield couldn't hold it and the forwards couldn't score.

Just a few points to make about "attitudes" during the game. I realise there is history between Gemmill and Brechin fans, but nobody made any comments etc towards him before his goal, so we didn't understand his waving and blowing kisses towards us. I think this played a big part in the chaos which happened later. Two weeks ago our keeper was sent off for an elbowing incident off the ball. Why was the Rovers keeper given only a yellow card for the same offence? We could clearly see the linesman giving an elbow sign to the ref when they were consulting just in front of us. Finally, wtf was Love on at the end? Winding us up and kissing the badge! Who does he think he is and did he think he'd won the league today? Just so I'm not accused of only seeing things one way, I think some of the City players were stupid in their actions too -Tiffony was lucky to stay on the park at the end.

Brechin have a LOT of work to do if they are to get themselves out of trouble. Our own fans shouting abuse at players and manager is not going to help.

Great 3 points.

Agree with Albino, Ross Stewart looking good although got out of jail with an elbow to a Brechin player at the second penalty stramash. In saying that how Brechin's no2 stayed on the park at the end is beyond me, probably because Gary Fisher needlessly got involved beforehand.

A pretty entertaining game all round- I think the ref got the first 2 pens right but totally lost it at the end.

Paul Willis' best game in a Vers jersey so far.

Thought Willis was your best player against Cowden, but he got subbed.

From what I seen, Love was sending some choice words towards the player who tackled him and a Brechin fan said something to him, to which he then retaliated. Can't be sure but I think his winding up was directed towards one fan but everyone else around that person took offence

I think Gemmell's kisses were aimed at the stand side linesman who appeared to disallow a good goal

No chance! He did it all the way up the area the City fans were standing. The linesman was up at the halfway line by that time . If it was to the linesman, he should have been sent off. Btw - he was offside at his "goal"!

No complaints about the result today since we were outplayed all over the park. The defence couldn't clear, the midfield couldn't hold it and the forwards couldn't score.

Just a few points to make about "attitudes" during the game. I realise there is history between Gemmill and Brechin fans, but nobody made any comments etc towards him before his goal, so we didn't understand his waving and blowing kisses towards us. I think this played a big part in the chaos which happened later. Two weeks ago our keeper was sent off for an elbowing incident off the ball. Why was the Rovers keeper given only a yellow card for the same offence? We could clearly see the linesman giving an elbow sign to the ref when they were consulting just in front of us. Finally, wtf was Love on at the end? Winding us up and kissing the badge! Who does he think he is and did he think he'd won the league today? Just so I'm not accused of only seeing things one way, I think some of the City players were stupid in their actions too -Tiffony was lucky to stay on the park at the end.

Brechin have a LOT of work to do if they are to get themselves out of trouble. Our own fans shouting abuse at players and manager is not going to help.

Love was quite right in his actions. You're player almost halved him in two which some of your players and fans were giving him dogs abuse for play acting. Your no2 should have been sent off for that challenge and his reaction to the ref was ridiculous. The grown men who then ran down to the tunnel to go at Love were embarrassing.

Archived