Dubai

welshbairn

Thanks chaps. It's a well established private school so pretty secure. It's a decent opportunity, but I'm not sure about it morally or being surrounded by dickhead expats.

Got plenty of time to think about it tbh.

What school?

Thanks chaps. It's a well established private school so pretty secure. It's a decent opportunity, but I'm not sure about it morally or being surrounded by dickhead expats.

In what way morally?

I hear you about dickhead ex-pats, but you don't have to work abroad to be in the company of dickheads.

20 hours ago, JMDP said:

but I'm not sure about it morally or being surrounded by dickhead expats.

Morally .... nope, genuinely perplexed about that - what exactly are you planning to teach them in this private school then? :huh:

Dickhead expats - well, you choose the company you keep.  There's good guys and there are dickheads, and by 3 pm on a Friday it'll usually pretty obvious who's who.

Dubai is expensive,  though the oil price drop has certainly shaken things up a bit.  If it's like Abu Dhabi, then the good news is rents are a fair bit lower now, but the bad news is that new taxes are being introduced to increase 'non-oil' government revenues.  The sin tax on carbonated drinks (50%) and cigarettes (100%) came into force on October 1st, and VAT is being introduced at 5% soon.  But there's still no income tax, so if you don't plan on getting pissed all the time then you'll be unlike every other teacher out here manage to save a fair bit for the next stage in your life. 

From my experience, I certainly wouldn't put anyone off coming out here.  It can be frustrating at times (as can living in any foreign country) but it can be a very good life if you let it.

Thanks for the replies.

Morally, it's the aspect of living in a country where homosexuality is illegal. Turning a blind eye to the goings on around in buildings constructed by guys in horrendous conditions, that I've seen described as modern day slavery. That's not even scratching the surface of some of the human rights issues.

The human rights aspect basically, thinking can I morally be a part of that society and feel alright about myself as a person. I have been there as a tourist years ago when I didn't really think about these things.

I've lived in a couple of different countries now, but the moral aspect hasn't applied there. It's just something I am considering.

12 minutes ago, JMDP said:

Thanks for the replies.

Morally, it's the aspect of living in a country where homosexuality is illegal. Turning a blind eye to the goings on around in buildings constructed by guys in horrendous conditions, that I've seen described as modern day slavery. That's not even scratching the surface of some of the human rights issues.

The human rights aspect basically, thinking can I morally be a part of that society and feel alright about myself as a person. I have been there as a tourist years ago when I didn't really think about these things.

I've lived in a couple of different countries now, but the moral aspect hasn't applied there. It's just something I am considering.

It's good that you are contemplating these things.  One of the things I hate about the UAE is that you will see balconies with tents on them.  This is where the far East Asian home servants, maids, nannies and carers are living.   You, on the other hand, will be given a nice apartment and a salary which allows you to go out every weekend, and generally live a life of some luxury.  That said, the same imbalance of distribution of income exists everywhere you are going to go, in some form or other.  

I will say this, it's not like Saudi Arabia.  It's not as blatant where if you have any kind of self-reflection, then you automatically feel uncomfortable.  

The dickhead expats are easy to avoid.  

I'm a pinko Grauniad reader with 15 tattoos.  I thought Dubai was morally acceptable enough. 

And wherever I've been, I've found there's a huge difference between the government, the monied elite, and the ordinary punter in terms of attitude and values.

8 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

It's good that you are contemplating these things.  One of the things I hate about the UAE is that you will see balconies with tents on them.  This is where the far East Asian home servants, maids, nannies and carers are living.   You, on the other hand, will be given a nice apartment and a salary which allows you to go out every weekend, and generally live a life of some luxury.  That said, the same imbalance of distribution of income exists everywhere you are going to go, in some form or other.  

I will say this, it's not like Saudi Arabia.  It's not as blatant where if you have any kind of self-reflection, then you automatically feel uncomfortable.  

The dickhead expats are easy to avoid.  

I'm a pinko Grauniad reader with 15 tattoos.  I thought Dubai was morally acceptable enough. 

And wherever I've been, I've found there's a huge difference between the government, the monied elite, and the ordinary punter in terms of attitude and values.

The builders are kept in places Westerners won't see, I believe. They'd think they'd struck gold with a tent on a balcony.

I have some very good friends who were teachers in Dubai for 12 years so cant be that bad. There are morally reprehensible things going on there but there are also various social injustice's going on in Scotland too. At least its sunny in the middle east.

Every country has its various frustrations. But also has its good points. Worst case scenario is that you go for a year or 2, hate it and leave with a whack of money in your pocket.

On 08/10/2017 at 00:34, Booker_d said:

I have some very good friends who were teachers in Dubai for 12 years so cant be that bad. There are morally reprehensible things going on there but there are also various social injustice's going on in Scotland too. At least its sunny in the middle east.

Every country has its various frustrations. But also has its good points. Worst case scenario is that you go for a year or 2, hate it and leave with a whack of money in your pocket.

People who go and live in a reprehensible society are enablers.

The most materialistic and simple guy in my group of mates went to Dubai for a few months and waxed lyrical on whatsapp about how fantastic their society is.

Now I don't mind people going there to make quick money while recognising it combines hyper-capitalism, rigid caste systems and repressive theocracies in a 40 degree melting pot, but acting like that is the way to run a country really gets me on my soapbox.

The only other people I have met who really like Dubai are the same women who really like Marbella.

For my own part I've been there for about 3 hours and seen the Burj and world map islands from the airport and/or plane, which I think was enough for me.

20 minutes ago, The OP said:

The most materialistic and simple guy in my group of mates went to Dubai for a few months and waxed lyrical on whatsapp about how fantastic their society is.

Now I don't mind people going there to make quick money while recognising it combines hyper-capitalism, rigid caste systems and repressive theocracies in a 40 degree melting pot, but acting like that is the way to run a country really gets me on my soapbox.

The only other people I have met who really like Dubai are the same women who really like Marbella.

For my own part I've been there for about 3 hours and seen the Burj and world map islands from the airport and/or plane, which I think was enough for me.

I hate to admit this but I agree with you.  There.  I said it.  I've been to Dubai several times for work for a week or more each time and I fail to see the attraction.  I also have a mate from Dungannon who has been there for close to 16 years.  His motivation is simply money. and he has pretty-much banked his wages each and every month and lived off expenses.  He and his Mrs will moved back in a couple of years when their younger daughter goes to Uni.  I suppose it makes financial sense but it wouldn't have been my choice.

2 minutes ago, Finch road said:

On the construction world the British expats are done. The Arabs are realising the can get 2 Egyptians or 5 Sri Lankan with dual degrees for the same price. Saudi still recognises British professionals and I'd gladly go back.

The bloke I referred to above is a QS/Project Engineer and still gets plenty of work in Dubai but he has been there a while.  Would you really go back to Saudi?  I've only been to Riyadh and Dammam and only for a couple of days each.  I don't see the attraction.