RISE - The "Scottish Syriza"

DeeTillEhDeh

A wee bit off topic but from the same newspaper:

Outlander star Sam Heughan on Scottish independence…

http://www.heraldscotland.com/arts_ents/14400555.Outlander_star_Sam_Heughan_on_Scottish_independence__super_fans_and_his_life_changing_role/?ref=mr&lp=6

…Hackles were further raised in April last year when it was revealed that the "importance" of Outlander to the political atmosphere of the independence referendum was highlighted by key TV executives before a meeting with Prime Minister David Cameron.

In a cache of leaked memos from the Sony organisation obtained by WikiLeaks, an email written by Keith E Weaver, executive vice president at Sony Pictures Entertainment, discussed a meeting with Cameron in the summer of 2014.

The email fuelled speculation that the UK Government did not want the show broadcast before the independence vote in September that same year. It specifically referred to Outlander and "the political issues in the UK as Scotland contemplates detachment this Fall".

When the topic is raised, Heughan – unsurprisingly – chooses to tread carefully. "If you believe what they print in WikiLeaks," he says. "I don't know, I couldn't possibly say, but there is material there. Whether or not, I mean, who knows …" he trails off, giving an apologetic shrug.

Given Heughan can only speculate, does he have a personal opinion on whether Outlander could have potentially served as a rallying call to those who may have wanted a Yes vote? "I guess," he says. "We have a show that celebrates Scotland and its culture, it looks fantastic and has some very pro-Jacobite or pro-independence messages in it.

"But that's at that period of time and the politics now are very much different – or the reasons for wanting independence are different. It probably could have been used either way to be honest."

Yet, for Heughan, filming the debut series of Outlander in Scotland during the build-up to the independence referendum did stoke his own modern-day political leanings.

"I was a no and thought independence wasn't a good idea initially, but then I did a 180 and towards the end became quite vocal in the Yes campaign," he says. "I thought that ultimately it was a move towards more democracy for the people of Scotland.

"It is interesting what it has done to politics, not only in Scotland, but the whole of the UK. There is less apathy, especially in Scotland, and the turnout to vote was high. We have seen across the rest of the UK, a lot more diversity in politics."

"Jim Sillars: I couldn't care less if the SNP expel me for backing RISE"

No Jim, the truth is you care desperately that the SNP do expel you. You want to be a martyr. You want to feel important again, & getting yourself chucked out of a party you've stabbed in the back countless times ("90 minute nationalists") is your last wee moment of getting centre stage.

"Jim Sillars: I couldn't care less if the SNP expel me for backing RISE"

No Jim, the truth is you care desperately that the SNP do expel you. You want to be a martyr. You want to feel important again, & getting yourself chucked out of a party you've stabbed in the back countless times ("90 minute nationalists") is your last wee moment of getting centre stage.

I can remember when Jim was the scourge of the SNP.

Back in the day I called him Attila the ***.

Still he is 78 so cut him some slack :thumsup2

A wee bit off topic but from the same newspaper:

Outlander star Sam Heughan on Scottish independence…

http://www.heraldscotland.com/arts_ents/14400555.Outlander_star_Sam_Heughan_on_Scottish_independence__super_fans_and_his_life_changing_role/?ref=mr&lp=6

…Hackles were further raised in April last year when it was revealed that the "importance" of Outlander to the political atmosphere of the independence referendum was highlighted by key TV executives before a meeting with Prime Minister David Cameron.

In a cache of leaked memos from the Sony organisation obtained by WikiLeaks, an email written by Keith E Weaver, executive vice president at Sony Pictures Entertainment, discussed a meeting with Cameron in the summer of 2014.

The email fuelled speculation that the UK Government did not want the show broadcast before the independence vote in September that same year. It specifically referred to Outlander and "the political issues in the UK as Scotland contemplates detachment this Fall".

When the topic is raised, Heughan – unsurprisingly – chooses to tread carefully. "If you believe what they print in WikiLeaks," he says. "I don't know, I couldn't possibly say, but there is material there. Whether or not, I mean, who knows …" he trails off, giving an apologetic shrug.

Given Heughan can only speculate, does he have a personal opinion on whether Outlander could have potentially served as a rallying call to those who may have wanted a Yes vote? "I guess," he says. "We have a show that celebrates Scotland and its culture, it looks fantastic and has some very pro-Jacobite or pro-independence messages in it.

"But that's at that period of time and the politics now are very much different – or the reasons for wanting independence are different. It probably could have been used either way to be honest."

Yet, for Heughan, filming the debut series of Outlander in Scotland during the build-up to the independence referendum did stoke his own modern-day political leanings.

"I was a no and thought independence wasn't a good idea initially, but then I did a 180 and towards the end became quite vocal in the Yes campaign," he says. "I thought that ultimately it was a move towards more democracy for the people of Scotland.

"It is interesting what it has done to politics, not only in Scotland, but the whole of the UK. There is less apathy, especially in Scotland, and the turnout to vote was high. We have seen across the rest of the UK, a lot more diversity in politics."

I thought that at the time. That show came out everywhere in the world except here. I didn't even know about that wiki leaks thing, is that common knowledge?

I thought that at the time. That show came out everywhere in the world except here. I didn't even know about that wiki leaks thing, is that common knowledge?

I didnae pay attention so I've nae idea.

"I was a no and thought independence wasn't a good idea initially, but then I did a 180 and towards the end became quite vocal in the Yes campaign," he says.

"I thought that ultimately it was a move towards more democracy for the people of Scotland.

Good for him :thumsup2

I also spotted this

New York Tartan Day Parade – Saturday, April 9th, 2016, 2:00pm

http://nyctartanweek.org/

Grand Marshal Sam Heughan, star of the popular Starz television series “Outlander,†will lead a parade of thousands of marchers up Sixth Avenue,

including pipe bands, dancers, clans, families, our Barbour Tartan Dog Pack of Scotties and Westies, Nessie, and so much more.

Edited by Wee Willie

You got in there before I did it is shite to the nth degree.

Probably for the TV forum but f**k it.

If you were a non Scot you probably wouldn't be bothered by the enormous liberties they take historically -Jacobite uprising is a quest for Scottish independence and linguistically - Gaels talking Gaelic when necessary to the story but some sort of Oor Wullie/Brigadoon Scots the rest of the time in accents not heard outside of the Simpsons.

Leaving that to one side the dialogue, acting and production values are painful to watch.

It's not game of thrones, it's not even the last kingdom it's probably somewhere below Braveheart.

Proper nutcase is auld Jim.

An embarrassment to any yes voter. Much like Natalie McGarry.

No an embarrassment tae me.

Auld Jim can say onything he wants as long as he votes SNP.

(and provided he disnae talk up mrs windsor & co., of course) :lol:

Edited by Wee Willie

nah.

cantankerous, yes.

but spot on on most things, politically.

a shame that RISE seem pretty risible, on the whole.

As I've said repeatedly, I know plenty of really good folk in the SSP and Jim when I've met him over the years certainly is always worth listening to so I can't understand why they won't/don't get at least one. They just can't seem to get their act together.