• Announcements

• Div

Pie and Bovril Nostalgia Mobile Phone Cases!   12/09/18

We are delighted to have partnered up with Nostalgia Cases to offer a huge range of fantastic Scottish Football phone cases to our visitors. These high quality cases are available in a range of retro and up to date designs and there variations available for all Premiership, Championship and League 1 clubs as well as four of the League 2 teams. Within each club there are a range of choices. You'll find it difficult to choose! This is an Edinburgh based start-up, and they also provide a custom design service so if there is a kit you don't see that you'd love for your phone you can get in touch with them and they'll add it to their range. Naturally there is a HUGE support for all the major phone manufacturers and models and what's more delivery in the UK is completely FREE. What's even better is that Pie and Bovril users can get 10% off their order using the coupon code PIEANDBOV Take a look and browse the full range for your favourite club by clicking through to the website below. https://bit.ly/2M5laZs
DeeTillEhDeh

RISE - The "Scottish Syriza"

On 7/18/2017 at 09:32, mjw said:

Cat Boyd seems to have caused a bit of a storm by admitting she voted for Jeremy Corbyn (not sure he was standing in her constituency though)
That's her that came out against brexit although she didn't vote in the referendum.

I wonder if any Indy supporters who gave Rise their second vote at the Holyrood elections are regretting it now?

Think Cat's based in Glasgow North - Labour candidate was Pam Duncan-Glancy, who slightly undermined her decent work and undoubted talent by telling left-wingers to vote Labour and not "a nationalist called Patrick (Harvie or Grady)" - and, more petty, had UK in her Twitter handle.

Shame as if it wasn't for those indiscretions I may have been tempted as the SNP need tae buck up their game... I know Glasgow North-East MP Paul Sweeney was usually anti-Corbyn but heard he apologised for previously doubting him (when the SNP has Anne McLaughlin though, its basically a no-win situation...)

On 7/18/2017 at 16:22, Ivo den Bieman said:

Cat Boyd really isn't significant at all in contemporary politics beyind a twitter account and a weekly column in a little-read paper. I like the National and try to support it but I think the readership has been tanking in the last year.

As for her remarks, I can see where she is coming from and think she is wrong-headed and utterly naive. That said, I think that point can be made without the ton of abuse she got from the angry-white-middle-aged-man demographic on twitter.

RISE have been deafeningly silent since their miserable failure in the last Holyrood election and I am not sure what the membership has been up to, if anything. I imagine the few that voted for them will have forgotten about it already.

I do like The National when it deals with campaigns and causes (a lot o the folk I'm pals wi on Twitter see it as a joke, but I think once you get past the sometimes ropey photoshopping its got a decent range inside) - in my small work at least, in a solid Tory area, its actually went up a bit in the last year, though admittedly from a low base (a few sold a day and it wasn't long ago we were getting 10+ sent in, though not all sold).

RISE are essentially gone - the one real class candidate other than CB, James McEnaney, left pretty sharp after the election, and now dedicates his time to having a distressingly smug Twitter photo (which is a shame as he's actually pretty capable, at least on education matters, though I feel he isn't radically left if that matters too)

Edited by Sunrise

3 minutes ago, Sunrise said:

Think Cat's based in Glasgow North - Labour candidate was Pam Duncan-Glancy, who slightly undermined her decent work and undoubted talent by telling left-wingers to vote Labour and not "a nationalist called Patrick (Harvie or Grady)" - and, more petty, had UK in her Twitter handle.

Shame as if it wasn't for those indiscretions I may have been tempted as the SNP need tae buck up their game... I know Glasgow North-East MP Paul Sweeney was usually anti-Corbyn but heard he apologised for previously doubting him (when the SNP has Anne McLaughlin though, its basically a no-win situation...)

Tbf to Sweeney he did apologise when my mates and I were haranguing him the night of the election and he has been firmly behind Corbyn since he was elected. Have a few issues with him elsewhere but at least he's shown some willingness to change.

Erm yes - because having a plastic Corbynista but fully signed up member of the Labour branch office is the sort of political representative that Glasgow North East has been crying out for.

As Sunrise said it was a no-win situation. I saw first hand how lacklustre Anne's campaign was in the constituency and Sweeney himself isn't much better tbh. His wee stunt with the GUU tie the other day doesn't fill me with much confidence.

I've followed McEnaney a few times intermittently on Twitter but I always end up unfollowing him. I agree with a lot of what he tweets and he has a pro-Yes/anti-SNP stance which interests me but there's just something about him I find a bit irritating.

Not a million miles off tbh. She's just after a cushy commentator position and she's thrown enough women on the left under the bus to pursue it already.

What did she do?

What did she do?

Has been made aware time and time again of abusers on the left and within RISE and has elected to ignore it in favour of chasing a media profile and her political career as non-existent as it is.

I suppose it just gets highlighted more because it's the Yes movement, but there are some real zoomers like Cat Boyd, Ross Greer and Angela Haggerty on social media 

I suppose it just gets highlighted more because it's the Yes movement, but there are some real zoomers like Cat Boyd, Ross Greer and Angela Haggerty on social media 

This 'yes movement disintegrating' stuff that has filled the papers and social media for the last week seems to be the same people everyday shouting me,look at me!
The names you mentioned seem to have promoted themselves way beyond where any ordinary voter sees them.

39 minutes ago, mjw said:

This 'yes movement disintegrating' stuff that has filled the papers and social media for the last week seems to be the same people everyday shouting me,look at me!
The names you mentioned seem to have promoted themselves way beyond where any ordinary voter sees them.

Yip, totally agree.  Not read his column but Torrance has written the YES movement has disintegrated. Didn't see that coming from him :lol:    

2 minutes ago, kilbowie2002 said:

Greers article was astonishing, portraying criticism for Boyd as being rooted in white male privilege as opposed to pointing out that shes just a terrible politician.

Not even a politician. :lol:

I have a bit of time for Greer as his politics are largely sound and less common than they should be in a supposedly progressive parliament but he's well off with Cat Boyd as you said. 

Cat Boyd is embarrassing - has she ever had a proper job? The Brexit gaffe on a live TV debate was ludicrous as was her 'look at me I voted Labour' attempt at garnering publicity. I buy the National about once a week just to support a pro-Indy paper but usually give Boyd's day a miss. She seems to take any criticism of her as 'misogyny' given recent Tweets.

I like the Greens mostly, Harvie and Wightman are good but Greer is a smug, nauseating jumped-up wee nyaff with the charisma of Michael Gove. Gove though has actually had some real life work experience though.

McEnaney is almost as bad as Greer. I disagree with the poster above - I had a wee Twitter debate with him before the election in which he patronised me - basically told me my job. I then asked what the RISE education policy was - this was 6 weeks before Holyrood 16 - and he admitted they still hadn't cobbled it together.

I'm probably in agreement with many of the left's position - anti-Trident, anti-austerity, pro-Nationalisation etc but find most of them to be blawhards and publicity junkies. In typical left-fashion they can't stay united for any length of time.

The Greer whinge in the Herald was ironic too in that Cat Boyd has form for publicly celebrating/ wishing for the death of other politicians, namely Thatcher and Tebbit. Surely it's a bit rich to cry about nasty Twitter trolls when that's what floats your boat.

Cat Boyd is an embarrassing nonentity who's only current function is to try & drum up as much publicity for herself - and only herself - as possible due to how badly the RISE project has gone.

Ross Greer seems to have ideas above both his station & standing, the Greens may have some good policies & be broadly pro-Indy but that doesn't mean there aren't self-serving people among them.

Hold on wee man your boss Harvie ain't likely to be going anywhere any time soon...

Just out of interest, what does Cat Boyd do to make a living and what did she do pre-2016?  I don't think I'd heard of her before the last Scottish election.

1 hour ago, Highland Capital said:

Just out of interest, what does Cat Boyd do to make a living and what did she do pre-2016?  I don't think I'd heard of her before the last Scottish election.

Think she used to paint white lines in Dundee...

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news/local/dundee/484721/wonder-over-dundees-wonky-white-lines/

There's actually a Wiki page on her. Seems like she was a student. Her mum has a CBE though - fancy that!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat_Boyd