RISE - The "Scottish Syriza"

DeeTillEhDeh

Cat Boyd seems to have caused a bit of a storm by admitting she voted for Jeremy Corbyn (not sure he was standing in her constituency though)
That's her that came out against brexit although she didn't vote in the referendum.

I wonder if any Indy supporters who gave Rise their second vote at the Holyrood elections are regretting it now?

1 minute ago, mjw said:

Cat Boyd seems to have caused a bit of a storm by admitting she voted for Jeremy Corbyn (not sure he was standing in her constituency though)
That's her that came out against brexit although she didn't vote in the referendum.

I wonder if any Indy supporters who gave Rise their second vote at the Holyrood elections are regretting it now?

She seems quite bitter and all over the place with her reasoning.

Cat Boyd really isn't significant at all in contemporary politics beyind a twitter account and a weekly column in a little-read paper. I like the National and try to support it but I think the readership has been tanking in the last year.

As for her remarks, I can see where she is coming from and think she is wrong-headed and utterly naive. That said, I think that point can be made without the ton of abuse she got from the angry-white-middle-aged-man demographic on twitter.

RISE have been deafeningly silent since their miserable failure in the last Holyrood election and I am not sure what the membership has been up to, if anything. I imagine the few that voted for them will have forgotten about it already.

It seems to me that Cat Boyd is nothing about politics but all about Cat Boyd. I knew nothing about her, then suddenly she was a media darling, which I think is her long term strategy. Like Kez, Colonel rudegal and wee Willie the w**k, it's all for themselves and not a thing to do with what is best for the population at large. She even got a place on Question Time, had a wee go about brexit, then revealed she hadn't even voted. Look at me, look at me I'm on TV, I've got a newspaper column, I'm a trendy lefty and I'll give good quotes for the establishment news and appear on your political programmes because I know better than the common 5/8th. Basically the female equivalent of Torrance, Hague etc

3 hours ago, bob the tank said:

It seems to me that Cat Boyd is nothing about politics but all about Cat Boyd. I knew nothing about her, then suddenly she was a media darling, which I think is her long term strategy. Like Kez, Colonel rudegal and wee Willie the w**k, it's all for themselves and not a thing to do with what is best for the population at large. She even got a place on Question Time, had a wee go about brexit, then revealed she hadn't even voted. Look at me, look at me I'm on TV, I've got a newspaper column, I'm a trendy lefty and I'll give good quotes for the establishment news and appear on your political programmes because I know better than the common 5/8th. Basically the female equivalent of Torrance, Hague etc

Not a million miles off tbh. She's just after a cushy commentator position and she's thrown enough women on the left under the bus to pursue it already.

Every time I hear of Cat Boyd, I remember the few seconds I was misfortunate enough to hear them campaigning prior to the last Scottish election.  I was at Firhill for a Caley Thistle-Partick Thistle game in the toilet cubicle that has the big window looking onto Maryhill Road.  Just then the RISE campaign van went roaring past and on the megaphone, at a volume that had it only been a fraction louder would've resulted in a tinnitus epidemic for everyone within a three mile radius, Cat Boyd screeched 'VOTE FAE RISE!!!'.

Eugh.  I still shudder when I think about that moment.

They ran one candidate as I recall in the council elections (in Motherwell I think it was),  as mentioned though the rise of Corbyn and their essential de-merger with the SSP probably means that's the end of them.  I remember thinking at the time of the last Scottish election that they seemed really naive.  Cat Boyd herself seemed absolutely convinced she was going to be elected in Glasgow despite no polls whatsoever showing them winning any seats.  Just had a look at the all-round results and I see they got less votes than the Scottish Christian Party and even Tommy Sheridan's Solidarity, who both had far lesser profiles during the campaign.

Edit - Just looked at the Glasgow result there and they got only one more list vote than the 'A Better Britain - A Unionist Party' and only a few hundred more than the Woman's Equality Party and Animal Welfare.  RISE got more than 1,000 votes less than Solidarity.

Edited by Highland Capital

They were a glorified student union and only got in the way. Delighted they failed.

Bollocks. Find me a more innovative foolproof method of winning votes than taking over a McDonalds and driving round in a car round the Trongate yelling at shoppers.

On 7/18/2017 at 09:32, mjw said:

Think Cat's based in Glasgow North - Labour candidate was Pam Duncan-Glancy, who slightly undermined her decent work and undoubted talent by telling left-wingers to vote Labour and not "a nationalist called Patrick (Harvie or Grady)" - and, more petty, had UK in her Twitter handle.

Shame as if it wasn't for those indiscretions I may have been tempted as the SNP need tae buck up their game... I know Glasgow North-East MP Paul Sweeney was usually anti-Corbyn but heard he apologised for previously doubting him (when the SNP has Anne McLaughlin though, its basically a no-win situation...)

On 7/18/2017 at 16:22, Ivo den Bieman said:

Cat Boyd really isn't significant at all in contemporary politics beyind a twitter account and a weekly column in a little-read paper. I like the National and try to support it but I think the readership has been tanking in the last year.

As for her remarks, I can see where she is coming from and think she is wrong-headed and utterly naive. That said, I think that point can be made without the ton of abuse she got from the angry-white-middle-aged-man demographic on twitter.

RISE have been deafeningly silent since their miserable failure in the last Holyrood election and I am not sure what the membership has been up to, if anything. I imagine the few that voted for them will have forgotten about it already.

I do like The National when it deals with campaigns and causes (a lot o the folk I'm pals wi on Twitter see it as a joke, but I think once you get past the sometimes ropey photoshopping its got a decent range inside) - in my small work at least, in a solid Tory area, its actually went up a bit in the last year, though admittedly from a low base (a few sold a day and it wasn't long ago we were getting 10+ sent in, though not all sold).

RISE are essentially gone - the one real class candidate other than CB, James McEnaney, left pretty sharp after the election, and now dedicates his time to having a distressingly smug Twitter photo (which is a shame as he's actually pretty capable, at least on education matters, though I feel he isn't radically left if that matters too)

Edited by Sunrise

3 minutes ago, Sunrise said:

Think Cat's based in Glasgow North - Labour candidate was Pam Duncan-Glancy, who slightly undermined her decent work and undoubted talent by telling left-wingers to vote Labour and not "a nationalist called Patrick (Harvie or Grady)" - and, more petty, had UK in her Twitter handle.

Shame as if it wasn't for those indiscretions I may have been tempted as the SNP need tae buck up their game... I know Glasgow North-East MP Paul Sweeney was usually anti-Corbyn but heard he apologised for previously doubting him (when the SNP has Anne McLaughlin though, its basically a no-win situation...)

Tbf to Sweeney he did apologise when my mates and I were haranguing him the night of the election and he has been firmly behind Corbyn since he was elected. Have a few issues with him elsewhere but at least he's shown some willingness to change.