RISE - The "Scottish Syriza"

DeeTillEhDeh

I must say, it's a novel approach for a Labour supporter to try the "redistributive policy" line.you don't have to support labour to think they talk left act right. Many/most members of rise think this

That will win Scotland back for the seething mess that is Slab.

I'm no labour supporter, champ. Edited by sparky88

there was me thinking you'd mention a redistributive tax policy the SNP had implemented at holyrood. My mistake.

Just how potentially redistributive are Holyrood's current tax varying powers?

They can change the base rate but increasing tax for low earners as well as high isn't exactly what people imagine when they talk about redistribution. They obviously have power over the council tax. But what else could a Scottish government actually do to implement a redistributive tax policy?

They can change the base rate but increasing tax for low earners as well as high isn't exactly what people imagine when they talk about redistribution. They obviously have power over the council tax. But what else could a Scottish government actually do to implement a redistributive tax policy?

They do indeed have the council tax which they have avoided like a warm dog turd.Freezing for years on end benefits many people me included who should be paying a bit more.Like most SNP policies its glaringly lacking in redistribution from the wealthy.Still as long as the sheeple buy it .

They do indeed have the council tax which they have avoided like a warm dog turd.Freezing for years on end benefits many people me included who should be paying a bit more.Like most SNP policies its glaringly lacking in redistribution from the wealthy.Still as long as the sheeple buy it .

So apart from council tax ? Anything else ? Maybe you should be banging on to the UK government to be more distributive ?

Mmm wonder what labour were promising last time around ?

Because of the existence of the personal allowance, every single tax power Holyrood has ever had had the capacity explicitly to be redistributive.

The old variable rate would have redistributed in favour of the poor had it been raised. The Scottish rate of income tax if exercised per Calman would do the same, and once the Smith proposal comes into place, there will be near total freedom to use the largest tax by revenue raising to redistribute from the rich to the poor.

On council tax, several options have been open to the Scottish Government. They could have legislated to create additional bands or to alter the proportions payable between bands or to create a discretionary power for local authorities to alter or raise only the council tax of higher value properties. Instead they froze the council tax across the board for 5 years, disproportionately benefiting those in bigger homes in cash terms, both because their property is banded at a higher rate, and because they are statistially much less likely to be in receipt of council tax benefit.

When they were put in charge of the replacement for Stamp Duty Land Tax, the SNP produced a set of proosals that turned out to be less progressive than those George Osborne then proposed for England Wales and Northern Ireland in the subsequent budget. It was only as a result of being politically outflanked on that front that Swinney then changed the provisions of his own tax.

The SNP have systemically failed to enact redistributive policies while in power. There might be perfectly good reasons for choosing to behave in this way, but it sticks in the craw that they do this while pretending to be a left-wing party. They're no more left wing than the Labour Party in their deeds and in several respects are less so, particularly in how they prioritise public spending through give-aways to the Scottish middle classes.

The most redistributive thing the SNP have done in 8 years of power was abolish the Forth and Tay Bridge tolls.

Right so apart from council tax, which you've read about in the papers, you've got no fucking idea.

Thought as much.

Right so apart from council tax, which you've read about in the papers, you've got no fucking idea.

Thought as much.

It's pretty much all that SNPouters have in their locker.

He'll mention Brian Souter then that'll be him spent.

Because of the existence of the personal allowance, every single tax power Holyrood has ever had had the capacity explicitly to be redistributive.

The old variable rate would have redistributed in favour of the poor had it been raised. The Scottish rate of income tax if exercised per Calman would do the same, and once the Smith proposal comes into place, there will be near total freedom to use the largest tax by revenue raising to redistribute from the rich to the poor.

On council tax, several options have been open to the Scottish Government. They could have legislated to create additional bands or to alter the proportions payable between bands or to create a discretionary power for local authorities to alter or raise only the council tax of higher value properties. Instead they froze the council tax across the board for 5 years, disproportionately benefiting those in bigger homes in cash terms, both because their property is banded at a higher rate, and because they are statistially much less likely to be in receipt of council tax benefit.

When they were put in charge of the replacement for Stamp Duty Land Tax, the SNP produced a set of proosals that turned out to be less progressive than those George Osborne then proposed for England Wales and Northern Ireland in the subsequent budget. It was only as a result of being politically outflanked on that front that Swinney then changed the provisions of his own tax.

The SNP have systemically failed to enact redistributive policies while in power. There might be perfectly good reasons for choosing to behave in this way, but it sticks in the craw that they do this while pretending to be a left-wing party. They're no more left wing than the Labour Party in their deeds and in several respects are less so, particularly in how they prioritise public spending through give-aways to the Scottish middle classes.

The most redistributive thing the SNP have done in 8 years of power was abolish the Forth and Tay Bridge tolls.

You'll note the lack of reply to your post by the "SNPGood" sheep. I thought it at least deserved some halfwit response from Fide.Silence tells you a lot..

It's pretty much all that SNPouters have in their locker.

He'll mention Brian Souter then that'll be him spent.

And both your intelligent responses to the council tax and Souters cosy relationship with the SNP would be what ?? I find the hold Soapy has on the SNP worth exploring.

You'll note the lack of reply to your post by the "SNPGood" sheep. I thought it at least deserved some halfwit response from Fide.Silence tells you a lot..

Tbf, some thought went into his post, which means a bit of thought is required for a reply.

That's not generally the case with your posts.

Tbf, some thought went into his post, which means a bit of thought is required for a reply.

That's not generally the case with your posts.

I thought it was an excellent post which I would have been way to lazy/uninformed to post.Im still waiting on its debunking as well which is excellent also.