Dulwich Hamlet will not be televised

29 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

When were you there, mate?  I was sad to leave Clapton - especially as we went to Twickenham which was pretty charmless.

Since Welshy started it...I just checked on a property price site and the house next to ours (3 bed Edwardian terrace) sold in 2016 for £1,057,000.  We paid £120,000 for ours in 1988/9.  House price inflation in London has been mental.

Bought my tiny garret flat in 1990 for £38,000, sold it in 2000 for £130,000 and took a long holiday. Slight regret I turned down a friend's 2 or 3 bedroom ex-council flat about 300 yards from Angel Islington tube station on a quiet square for around £45,000, thought at the time it was a bit boxy and boring, same time as I bought my roof space in Clapton. Made a few mistakes in my life but that was probably the dumbest. 

Edited by welshbairn

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

Bought my tiny garret flat in 1990 for £38,000, sold it in 2000 for £130,000 and took a long holiday. Slight regret I turned down a friend's 2 or 3 bedroom ex-council flat about 300 yards from Angel Islington tube station on a quiet square for around £45,000, thought at the time it was a bit boxy and boring, same time as I bought my roof space in Clapton. Made a few mistakes in my life but that was probably the dumbest. 

So we lived two streets apart for a couple of years?  We could have gone for a pint and moaned about the idiot Norman Lamont making our mortgages almost unaffordable after the Black Wednesday debale.

1 minute ago, The_Kincardine said:

So we lived two streets apart for a couple of years?  We could have gone for a pint and moaned about the idiot Norman Lamont making our mortgages almost unaffordable after the Black Wednesday debale.

As it happens I took out a 10 year fixed rate mortgage at the time, thinking I'd at least know it couldn't get any worse. It was 9.99%. Come to think of it maybe it was 1992 when I bought the flat, just after. Another big mistake, though I shouldn't whine, still remember checking the cashpoint after I sold it, all those zeros. I went mad and paid a tenner for a big issue.

19 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

As it happens I took out a 10 year fixed rate mortgage at the time, thinking I'd at least know it couldn't get any worse. It was 9.99%. Come to think of it maybe it was 1992 when I bought the flat, just after. Another big mistake, though I shouldn't whine, still remember checking the cashpoint after I sold it, all those zeros. I went mad and paid a tenner for a big issue.

Had you bought your flat 2 years earlier you'd have been selling the Big Issue...