By election updates

Mr Rational

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I just don't see why flat dwellers in the Merkinch or Hilton areas of Inverness should subsidise my garden in Ballifeary. Our food waste is strictly separated from our garden waste btw, different bins. 

Folk in bigger houses will be already paying more in CT to cover the collection services.  

3 minutes ago, PB 4.2 said:

Folk in bigger houses will be already paying more in CT to cover the collection services.  

We should really get a discount for our Spanish wine imports too, for that very reason. I may try to raise a mob to protest.

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

We should really get a discount for our Spanish wine imports too, for that very reason. I may try to raise a mob to protest.

I have 4 friends that have *actual* wine cellars.    One of them owns Grahams Dairies.     I don't have a cellar because I don't like wine but I do have a sauna in my former double garage!  

#perthshire  

4 minutes ago, PB 4.2 said:

I have 4 friends that have *actual* wine cellars.    One of them owns Grahams Dairies.     I don't have a cellar because I don't like wine but I do have a sauna in my former double garage!  

#perthshire  

I can only hope Kias are resistant to steam after being built in South East Asian jungle environments. Are there any plans for Perthshire to reach for the limits beyond their 2 up, 2 downs? Maybe the view from above has not tempted.

19 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I just don't see why flat dwellers in the Merkinch or Hilton areas of Inverness should subsidise my garden in Ballifeary. Our food waste is strictly separated from our garden waste btw, different bins. 

1. Because we don't have a pick and choose system of taxation. The poor folk of Hilton also subsidise the leisure centres, libraries, arts and museums that are far more likely to be used by the middle classes.

2. Because the 35 quid charge doesn't go into garden waste collections it goes into the general PKC funds so the people of Letham are still subsidising the people of Invergowrie for their garden waste whilst this additional money goes to fucking up the pot hole repairs

3. It isn't a progressive tax. Yer auld granny in her two up two down council house in the Glens still has to pay the 35 quid same as the Duke of Atholl.

4. Because local authorities generate income from hitting renewables ( including biomass) and recycling targets.

5. Because compost from garden waste can be an income generator for councils.

Decent councils like Dundee's SNP leadership realise the last two points 

22 minutes ago, PB 4.2 said:

#perthshire  

Can you let him know that his butter is very disappointing and overpriced.

5 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Can you let him know that his butter is very disappointing and overpriced.

The milk is very good.  I don't like the butter or ice cream.   He knows this.  

My old man is 20 years younger but of the same mindset. Also wants National Service brought back [emoji38]
I've tried explaining the modern army has no need of square bashing potato peelers these days to no avail. He's never mentioned hanging coming back which has always surprised me..

29 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

1. Because we don't have a pick and choose system of taxation. The poor folk of Hilton also subsidise the leisure centres, libraries, arts and museums that are far more likely to be used by the middle classes.

2. Because the 35 quid charge doesn't go into garden waste collections it goes into the general PKC funds so the people of Letham are still subsidising the people of Invergowrie for their garden waste whilst this additional money goes to fucking up the pot hole repairs

3. It isn't a progressive tax. Yer auld granny in her two up two down council house in the Glens still has to pay the 35 quid same as the Duke of Atholl.

4. Because local authorities generate income from hitting renewables ( including biomass) and recycling targets.

5. Because compost from garden waste can be an income generator for councils.

Decent councils like Dundee's SNP leadership realise the last two points 

Perthshire is weird. Poor or mean people in Inverness with gardens just stuff their grass cuttings in with their landfill.

Edited by welshbairn

12 hours ago, jupe1407 said:

My old man is 20 years younger but of the same mindset. Also wants National Service brought back emoji38.png

That goes some way to explain why you have an aversion to old people.  Fortunately they/we are not all like your father.

The whole ‘national service’ and ‘make the unemployed work for their benefit’ type comments is the epitome of lazy thinking and stupidity.

For a certain age group it is also a complete lack of understanding of how times have changed.  I left school in 1971 aged 16 with minimum qualifications and walked into an office job; I wasn’t aware of anyone leaving school and not getting a job.  Everyone got a job, or an apprenticeship or stayed on at school.

There’s obviously some folk with similar experiences who refuse to accept changed since those days.

7 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

The whole ‘national service’ and ‘make the unemployed work for their benefit’ type comments is the epitome of lazy thinking and stupidity.

For a certain age group it is also a complete lack of understanding of how times have changed.  I left school in 1971 aged 16 with minimum qualifications and walked into an office job; I wasn’t aware of anyone leaving school and not getting a job.  Everyone got a job, or an apprenticeship or stayed on at school.

There’s obviously some folk with similar experiences who refuse to accept changed since those days.

I left school in 1970 with enough Highers to have got me into university, but I had made my choice the year before (when I didn't have enough Highers to get into university) and had applied for and been accepted into a polytechnic where I "studied", (I use the word loosely), Quantity Surveying. I thank the Lord I'm now retired (more or less) from that hateful job. A classmate of mine left school in 1969, joined the civil service and aa far as know, remained there ever since.

Anyway, G D is correct, everyone got a job, heavy industries (remember them, anyone?) were a lot more labour intensive in those days, offices didn't have computers etc so needed a lot of staff (the first office I worked in had 3 receptionists/typists and they were all kept busy - nowadays a similar sized outfit could quite possibly manage without one at all)  and I cannot recall anybody not getting a job either. You got a job/apprenticeship, stayed at school until 17/18 and the lucky few went on to third level education.

ETA: The armed forces hovered up a few and the Merchant Navy was still very much on the go, too.

Edited by Jacksgranda