By election updates

Mr Rational

Senior Labour figures have been talking about a "free vote" in any future referendum and that seems to have pissed off the most staunch Britnat element of their support

Surely any non-parliamentary votes are free? They're just between voter and ballot box.

What this does show is that there is a core British nationalist element in Scotland that does not care who governs in Holyrood, or according to which principles, or which ideology they govern by - as long as it's a party which will not allow questioning of Scotland's status as an incorporated region of the U.K., anything goes.

And they claim SNP supporters only care about one thing ...

What this does show is that there is a core British nationalist element in Scotland that does not care who governs in Holyrood

A lot of them would be happy to see Holyrood done away with and all powers returned to Westminster.

As is Stephen Anderson, who interestingly is attempting to disaffiliate his uni from the NUS and campaigning for a "out" vote in the EU referendum. He doesn't seem to like unions much apart from the UK.

To be fair, I'm with him on the NUS.

Also, are you aware of a certain 19 year old RT, who has his own think tank and secretary? He resigned from Labour when Corbyn won.

Edited by Sooky

Also, are you aware of a certain 19 year old RT, who has his own think tank and secretary? He resigned from Labour when Corbyn won.

I don't think that I am, I'm mostly acquainted with the Edinburgh student drinking scene and know a lot of union hacks at Heriot-Watt. Anderson is on the executive committee I believe.

As is Stephen Anderson, who interestingly is attempting to disaffiliate his uni from the NUS and campaigning for a "out" vote in the EU referendum. He doesn't seem to like unions much apart from the UK.

In the 1980s, several Scottish universities disaffiliated from the NUS but rejoined later. Aberdeen, Edinburgh, Heriot Watt, Strathclyde and St Andrews all voted to leave.

Charles Kennedy, when President of the Glasgow Men's Union, was a fierce opponent of the NUS. Glasgow had never joined the NUS and he was determined to keep it out.

Kennedy also fought to stop women from joining the Men's Union. They were only allowed in as guests when there was a dance or gig on.

In the 1980s, several Scottish universities disaffiliated from the NUS but rejoined later. Aberdeen, Edinburgh, Heriot Watt, Strathclyde and St Andrews all voted to leave.

Charles Kennedy, when President of the Glasgow Men's Union, was a fierce opponent of the NUS. Glasgow had never joined the NUS and he was determined to keep it out.

Kennedy also fought to stop women from joining the Men's Union. They were only allowed in as guests when there was a dance or gig on.

When i was there we were denied access to all other student unions (I'm talking "proper" universities here) in Scotland because of a refusal to allow the Gay Society to affiliate to the GUU. Those days of intolerance towards burds and those of different orientation were something of a last stand against ... well ... nothing really. It was a lot of bollocks built on the premise that if lassies or pooves wanted a union the QMU was just the place for them.

He is a next level thundercunt, regardless of my political views. That's without commenting on his hair.

He is a next level thundercunt, regardless of my political views. That's without commenting on his hair.

To be fair, he's involved with running the student union, Thundercunts of all levels just naturally gravitate to that kind of activity. The HW ones in my day were fucking awful as well, the kind of people who run holiday camps at gun point.

Incidentally, I saw one K. Dugdale debating back in the day to win the Edi Uni NUS election. Complete c**t, even then.

Anderson or this RT fellah?

Anderson is approaching heads gone territory on facebook these days, I'll be sure to find screenshots

The 'arch-Blairite' Robbie Travers. Once posted a FB status saying someone who wasn't nice to him at school messaged him and apologised and that he was simply too intimidated by his intelligence. When requests for screenshots were asked for, strangely, they weren't supplied. #vogue

^ Another MP giving up a council seat. It should be a SNP hold but its choice of candidate could be controversial -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-24033589.

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/inverness/303596/lawyer-sacked-car-crash-takes-employers-tribunal/?piano_t=1

The independent Zofia Fraser could pinch it, especially if the Lib Dem vote collapses.

Politics, especially local politics does tend to attract some absolute weirdos. The people who we considered to oddballs and maniacs when I worked as a Housing Officer in Berwick are the ones who seem to be the mainstream voices when it comes to politics round here now. And it's across all parties. Even when I stood I had people supporting me who actually worried me. Someone especially who kept obsessing over 'kippers' and wanted me to be the councillor to track them down.

It looks like the Liberal Democrats (remember them?) might just pinch a highland council seat off the SNP today. Lib Dems are over 100 votes ahead going into the last round of voting, with the second preferences of a Tory candidate the clincher.