By election updates

Mr Rational

12 hours ago, cdisaaccie said:

It's literally the only policy they have to offer up here.

Carlaw & Co would absolutely shit themselves if made to come up with some actual policies required to actually run things - either at a council level or above.

“Vote Conservative and we will reduce your local services”?

Probably not a vote winner.

“Vote Conservative and we will reduce your local services”?
Probably not a vote winner.
I see Annie Wells has issued a personal letter of appeal to Labour voters in Scotland to vote Tory to stem the independence tide. Should we expect a dramatic intervention in support from the Great Clunking Fraud ?

Maybe the most interesting aspect of this is how few transfers the Conservatives seem to be able to attract. Suggests that they are now starting to be be viewed as the main enemy again by Labour voters rather than the SNP. That could have an impact on tactical voting patterns.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

Guest Bob Mahelp
12 hours ago, cdisaaccie said:

SNP win both Fife Council by-elections in the Dunfermline Central & Rosyth wards respectively.

Big % increase in vote share for Lib Dems which might not be good news for Stephen Gethins in the GE though.

I think it's fairly safe to say that Gethins is a gonner. The seat is traditional LibDem and I'd be stunned if they don't win it back.

I have a nasty feeling that the LibDem vote in Scotland is being under-estimated. They may become the Yoon vote of choice in quite a few seats, and it wouldn't surprise me if they did more damage to the SNP than anticipated.

5 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

I think it's fairly safe to say that Gethins is a gonner. The seat is traditional LibDem and I'd be stunned if they don't win it back.

I have a nasty feeling that the LibDem vote in Scotland is being under-estimated. They may become the Yoon vote of choice in quite a few seats, and it wouldn't surprise me if they did more damage to the SNP than anticipated.

Aye, it could, but you've got areas like West Aberdeenshire/Kincardine where a big Lib Dem vote may actually help the SNP in the backdoor. The area was Lib Dem went SNP in 15 and Tory in 17 - if a lot of Unionists and peed off Tories who want to remain vote Lib Dem then it might well let the SNP (if their vote holds up/comes out) in the back door?

Also noted that UKIP are standing in Moray and Pete Wishart's constituency. That may well help the SNP, esp Perth is 21 majority and if enough numpties see UKIP and think 'Aye, Brexit noo' and put their X there, might keep the seat for the SNP and win Moray back for the SNP. Considering the large number of Leave voters there, might well be enough.

Nae idea though.

Labour are toiling badly in by elections all across UK. Plaid won one last night with 54% of the vote and an increase of 25% whilst Labour's vote went down 25% , but when the crunch comes in the polling booth some of these pissed off Labour voters may well end up voting Labour.

As for Libs, I'm toiling between them getting under 15% or 15-19% of the vote. I don't think Swinson comes across well and it'll only be more evident as the campaign rolls on. Who knows though.

Only in certain seats.....they have scant organisation in areas like my own and voting for a party on the basis of who they are not as opposed to who and what they are has limited appeal. They will though salve the conscience of the middle-class voter who seeks a Tory-lite option.

6 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

I personally voted for the independent 1st but I'm surprised to see Labour finish last in Inverness Central.

I go by candidate rather than party in local elections too, though Richard Laird seemed a good guy from what I read.

Edited by welshbairn