Frank Millar - The Dark Knight Returns.

First published in 85 (I think) it said to be the first reimagining of a darker, grittier Batman (in contrast to the camp 60s version). I quite enjoyed it. I get why it's so respected if it reimagined Batman and was original in its day but I'm not sure how good the actual story / writing is. As I said I enjoyed it but think it's probably over rated. There were a few panels where it wasn't exactly clear what was going on and it's a little corny at times. Maybe it's just not aged as well as some think or maybe I'm being overly harsh.

7 out of 10. Still a very solid score.

Completely agree on TDKR. I think it's a solid book but not brilliant. If you want a brilliant, darker, grittier reimagining of a beloved character which is out of cannon like TDKR then you should read Daredevil: End of Days - it is a great read, but generally overlooked.

Daredevil: End of Days - it is a great read, but generally overlooked.

So many of the Ben Urich stories have been excellent. Not glamorous or blockbusters, perhaps, but consistent in quality. Frontline was by far the most engaging section of Civil War, for example.

RE Dark Knight Returns; Batman: Year One was also better, IMO.

Completely agree on TDKR. I think it's a solid book but not brilliant. If you want a brilliant, darker, grittier reimagining of a beloved character which is out of cannon like TDKR then you should read Daredevil: End of Days - it is a great read, but generally overlooked.

I'll give that one a go cheers.

I had been looking at another Daredevil graphic novel 'The Man without Fear'. But I might give End of Days a go.

So many of the Ben Urich stories have been excellent. Not glamorous or blockbusters, perhaps, but consistent in quality. Frontline was by far the most engaging section of Civil War, for example.

RE Dark Knight Returns; Batman: Year One was also better, IMO.

Yup, spot on. Love a bit of Urich. I was quite disappointed with how they handled him in the Daredevil TV series.

I'll give that one a go cheers.

I had been looking at another Daredevil graphic novel 'The Man without Fear'. But I might give End of Days a go.

'The man without Fear' is good and is a brilliant starting off point for Daredevil. The one which gets a lot of praise is 'Born Again' but I wasn't particularly enthralled by that one. End of Days is, for me, probably the best Daredevil story but as Milton says, it primarily focuses on one of Marvel's supporting characters.

OK. Don't tell the wife but I've gone and started a collection of McFarlane CGCd Spidey #1 variant covers, (Sorry to you too Milton, I know he's a wa*k but they just look great all lined up).

There's Marvel Zombies 1B, Spawn 231, and some Civil War varients to go but here is where I'm at so far.

s-l225.jpg

mD7s4wh7e1UnqPL8OYGkTSg.jpg

s-l225.jpg

Love that cover! My son got a poster of that for his bedroom. It's also one of the most parodied covers. I'm not going to pay more than £300 for a 9.8 of that book though so I'll stick to the Spider-man #1 variants.

I love the dedication to collecting 9.8s. I would get seriously REAMED by the missus if a few ended up on the wall.

On that subject... ever get a hard time for collecting? I've pared right back (admittedly through having most of what I want now), but for a while a sardonic eyebrow was being raised every time a package arrived.

Moving house wasn't much fun either.

I love the dedication to collecting 9.8s. I would get seriously REAMED by the missus if a few ended up on the wall.

On that subject... ever get a hard time for collecting? I've pared right back (admittedly through having most of what I want now), but for a while a sardonic eyebrow was being raised every time a package arrived.

Moving house wasn't much fun either.

It drives the wife mental. I've got a 2 massive bookshelfs of 'toys' in her words, as well as several hundred graphic novels and probably the same number of comics. She comments on the packages coming in or on my PayPal account.

She knew all this when she married me though.

It drives the wife mental. I've got a 2 massive bookshelfs of 'toys' in her words, as well as several hundred graphic novels and probably the same number of comics. She comments on the packages coming in or on my PayPal account. She knew all this when she married me though.

I know exactly where you're coming from. At least the comics are tucked away in boxes. The GNs are obvious.

Anything particular you have to have? e.g. I stupidly decided I was having every 1980s Titan Books Judge Dredd / 2000AD / Bilal / Moebius / etc. book going. I don't know why. I'm about 4/5ths there. Pretty much  a bad idea.

ETA: Anyone else can join in here. We're just spunking in mouths here.

Edited by milton75

I know exactly where you're coming from. At least the comics are tucked away in boxes. The GNs are obvious.

Anything particular you have to have? e.g. I stupidly decided I was having every 1980s Titan Books Judge Dredd / 2000AD / Bilal / Moebius / etc. book going. I don't know why. I'm about 4/5ths there. Pretty much  a bad idea.

ETA: Anyone else can join in here. We're just spunking in mouths here.

I have to have the best possible copies of my favourite comics. Hulk 92, Watchmen 1, Sandman 1,4,8 Secret Wars 8 etc. The problem with this is that I've spent more than £250 on copies of Sandman #1 looking for that elusive perfect issue and the best I have currently is a CGC 9.2 which cost me £80.

I also buy depending on who is at London Comic Con so Gillian Anderson, Carrie Fisher, Sigourney Weaver, Michael Bein, Several Dr Whos, Robert Englund Stan Lee,Dan Slott all had nice comics bought for their signatures to go on.

I need help really. .

Batman - The Killing Joke.

Actually very good. An excellent Joker story, really encapsulates his character. Shorter than I expected. I read the reimagined version so the artwork had been updated. Meant to be more in keeping with the story than the original artwork.

Batman - The Killing Joke.

Actually very good. An excellent Joker story, really encapsulates his character. Shorter than I expected. I read the reimagined version so the artwork had been updated. Meant to be more in keeping with the story than the original artwork.

Animated version is out in the summer. Can't wait.

• 2 weeks later...

Rediscovering my love for Judge Dredd and I'm currently reading Necropolis, I've got Apocalypse wars for a follow up.

I briefly flirted with the idea of subscribing to 2000AD again and having it fall through the door every week however they seem to be just resurrecting long dead characters I'm assuming to keep readers my age coming back for familiar story lines. It actually kept me away.

Btw I loved Bad Company, finding out how Kano got his scar and the secret of the wee box and some of the shit the Krool got up to was fantastic.