I love Sci-Fi but for some reason, without having read them, I've always just assumed the Star Wars novels are the Mills & Boon of the genre.

Are they actually any good?

The Thrawn Trilogy is absolutely fantastic. Would have made a great follow on set of films

I think I'll give that trilogy a bash.

Might be a while before I get round to it as I've just started Judas Unchained, the second book in Peter F Hamiltons Commonwealth saga, wonderful stuff again from Hamilton. His novels always seem to sink their hooks in deep and I find myself wanting to crack out the Kindle out at any and every opportunity.

I'd say he's now my favourite living Sci-Fi author, unfortunately(or fortunately as I do enjoy them  :huh:  ) he rarely writes books less than a 1000 pages long!

• 4 weeks later...

I think I'll give that trilogy a bash.

Might be a while before I get round to it as I've just started Judas Unchained, the second book in Peter F Hamiltons Commonwealth saga, wonderful stuff again from Hamilton. His novels always seem to sink their hooks in deep and I find myself wanting to crack out the Kindle out at any and every opportunity.

I'd say he's now my favourite living Sci-Fi author, unfortunately(or fortunately as I do enjoy them  :huh:  ) he rarely writes books less than a 1000 pages long!

I'm about 2/3's of the way through Heir to the Empire and whilst I haven't given up on it yet I'm still undecided as to whether I will continue the series.

Probably not a good idea to read them after Hamilton, Banks or Reynolds as it all just feels a bit lightweight in comparison and, dare I say it, 'childish'.

Edited by Tommy Nooka

I'm reading the Snowpiercer books just now. I've finished the first 2 graphic novels and I'm really unsure whether or not to purchase the 3rd. The storytelling is pretty laboured and I'm not overly impressed by the art. I'd heard such good things though that I thought I'd give it a try.

Anyone else caught up with this?

I'm about 2/3's of the way through Heir to the Empire and whilst I haven't given up on it yet I'm still undecided as to whether I will continue the series.

Probably not a good idea to read them after Hamilton, Banks or Reynolds as it all just feels a bit lightweight in comparison and, dare I say it, 'childish'.

I've had my enjoyment of sci-fi books completely ruined by reading the likes of Banks et al. You start expecting thing to be of a certain standard as opposed to being basic genre efforts. When they don't live up the the standards you feel let down.

Got a couple newish Neil Gaiman books recently.

a93278b6eb7e625b08226b7f3f5af91f_xl.jpg

Pretty decent. Early 90s Gaiman is always good.

sandmanovertureart.jpg

Pretty good. Didn't feel that necessary, but still good.

Edited by milton75

Just picked up some issues of Crossed: Psychopath. I'd never heard of them, but it seemed like something the wife might enjoy. Anyone on here read and enjoyed/disliked them?

Recently read all of The Sandman and currently working my way through Hellblazer/John Constantine.

I really really wish Roy of the Rovers back catalogue was available though. Can't find it anywhere.

I loved RoTR when I was wee. I also absolutely adored Hot shot Hamish & Mighty Mouse.

What happened to the decent football comics?

I loved RoTR when I was wee. I also absolutely adored Hot shot Hamish & Mighty Mouse.

What happened to the decent football comics?

Really like "Rick Stewart, Goalkeeper" and then when I found old editions reading about his father Gordon "the Safest Hands in Soccer".

Andy Steel Playmaker was good too and I enjoyed when he signed for Melchester.

Billy's Boots was quite irritating at times. I'd have lamped his Gran. How many times did she throw out his boots or give them away to jumble sales?

I'm at around comic number 45 through Marvel Civil War. Read a few on nightshift tonight. Been excellent, Im now wondering if I missed some out previously as there is a lot I don't remember from my first reading. The Wolverine comics are particularly good so far.

I'm at around comic number 45 through Marvel Civil War. Read a few on nightshift tonight. Been excellent, Im now wondering if I missed some out previously as there is a lot I don't remember from my first reading. The Wolverine comics are particularly good so far.

That does tend to be the problem with 'event' comics. You can read the basic story or you can read the extended/crossover stories. Original Sin and Secret Wars looked impossible to follow with storylines running across multiple comics and even universes.

The occasional lurker comes onto this forum and makes a hilarious joke about us VL comic book readers which is always fun.

As I was relaxing in the bath last night with a wee drink, (don't judge me I didn't feel very well), I was reading 'Batman: Arkham Asylum'. I wondered if this type of comic would change the public perception of spandex clad superheroes with it's very adult themes of child abuse, horrific child murder, and psychological terror. (There is a scene where a man is having a regressive dream of himself as a child and he is standing next to a place called the love tunnel which is quite clearly a massive vagina. It hints at sexual abuse and suppressed memories of the man).

This type of storyline will never make it into the next major Hollywood blockbuster obviously. I honestly don't think the general public know that this type of comic exists or that it represents a major character like Batman but if they did, would it change their perception of the type of weirdo who reads these books?

The occasional lurker comes onto this forum and makes a hilarious joke about us VL comic book readers which is always fun.

As I was relaxing in the bath last night with a wee drink, (don't judge me I didn't feel very well), I was reading 'Batman: Arkham Asylum'. I wondered if this type of comic would change the public perception of spandex clad superheroes with it's very adult themes of child abuse, horrific child murder, and psychological terror. (There is a scene where a man is having a regressive dream of himself as a child and he is standing next to a place called the love tunnel which is quite clearly a massive vagina. It hints at sexual abuse and suppressed memories of the man).

This type of storyline will never make it into the next major Hollywood blockbuster obviously. I honestly don't think the general public know that this type of comic exists or that it represents a major character like Batman but if they did, would it change their perception of the type of weirdo who reads these books?

Probably not!  :lol:

Arkham Asylum,The Killing Joke and The Long Halloween are all great Batman stories. 

Probably not!  :lol:

Arkham Asylum,The Killing Joke and The Long Halloween are all great Batman stories. 

At least they'd go from thinking we were VLs to thinking we were Fritzels though. It's be a change in pace if nothing else.

There are some brilliantly dark comics out there if you know where to look.

As I was relaxing in the bath last night with a wee drink, (don't judge me I didn't feel very well), I was reading 'Batman: Arkham Asylum'. I wondered if this type of comic would change the public perception of spandex clad superheroes with it's very adult themes of child abuse, horrific child murder, and psychological terror. (There is a scene where a man is having a regressive dream of himself as a child and he is standing next to a place called the love tunnel which is quite clearly a massive vagina. It hints at sexual abuse and suppressed memories of the man).

I remember when I first read Ultimate X-men. I loved how brutal and dark it was. Nothing like the usual 'spandex' type comics you mention.

Comics have evolved (in the same way computer games have I suppose). The kids reading them grew up and became writers. Those writers changed the way comics were supposed to be and as the writers matured so did their work.