Next Dundee United Manager

409 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As surely the approach is to get it done as quickly as possible.

Okay, but why would it be quicker approaching an under contract guy first before an out of contract guy? You're going to speak to both so why is quicker going to the under contract guy first? Also, who's to say that Wright was initially under consideration. Perhaps the 5-1 thumping of Aberdeen pushed him right up the shortlist. Aaaand, in any event, there's no reason why an approach for an under contract manager should take significantly longer. Clearly the Wright thing dragged on because there were discussions going on behind the scenes at St Johnstone, but that delay was exceptional. Ordinarily these things take hours rather than days.

Okay, but why would it be quicker approaching an under contract guy first before an out of contract guy? You're going to speak to both so why is quicker going to the under contract guy first? Also, who's to say that Wright was initially under consideration. Perhaps the 5-1 thumping of Aberdeen pushed him right up the shortlist. Aaaand, in any event, there's no reason why an approach for an under contract manager should take significantly longer. Clearly the Wright thing dragged on because there were discussions going on behind the scenes at St Johnstone, but that delay was exceptional. Ordinarily these things take hours rather than days.

I'm saying that Dundee United shouldve asked St Johnstone about Wrights availability as soon as they decided he was a genuine target, not bother interviewing everyone else then doing it. Say Wright was top choice and Mixu second, why waste half a week negotiating with St Johnstone, before even getting to speak to Wright, when you could be spending it finalising things with Mixu. Just seems like you could've reached the stage you're at last week

I'm saying that Dundee United shouldve asked St Johnstone about Wrights availability as soon as they decided he was a genuine target, not bother interviewing everyone else then doing it. Say Wright was top choice and Mixu second, why waste half a week negotiating with St Johnstone, before even getting to speak to Wright, when you could be spending it finalising things with Mixu. Just seems like you could've reached the stage you're at last week

Let's say Wright was fifth choice and the club went through the candidates in order of preference. Or let's say Wright was third/fifth/seventh choice and United contacted the representatives of all candidates at approximately the same time and arranged convenient appointments. And let's say that Wright's agent had indicated that his client might be interested but wouldn't entertain any approach until after the Aberdeen game. Or let's say that neither you nor I know the precise set of circumstances and that your commentary on the strange manner in which United have gone about their business is actually just your belly rumbling. Just for the sake of argument.

Let's say Wright was fifth choice and the club went through the candidates in order of preference. Or let's say Wright was third/fifth/seventh choice and United contacted the representatives of all candidates at approximately the same time and arranged convenient appointments. And let's say that Wright's agent had indicated that his client might be interested but wouldn't entertain any approach until after the Aberdeen game. Or let's say that neither you nor I know the precise set of circumstances and that your commentary on the strange manner in which United have gone about their business is actually just your belly rumbling. Just for the sake of argument.

If Wright wasnt the top target, why bother even going after him, when theres cheaper options you'd prefer? Just seems a proper waste of time, unless you'd been turned down by all those above you, and even then it seems wasteful

If Wright wasnt the top target, why bother even going after him, when theres cheaper options you'd prefer? Just seems a proper waste of time, unless you'd been turned down by all those above you, and even then it seems wasteful

I appreciate that this sort of task may not have intruded upon your working life yet but it's customary to interview candidates before deciding who to employ.

Out of interest does anyone know what goes on in these interviews? I'm presuming they are not like your bog standard 'tell me about a time....' or 'if you were a crab how would you climb Everest' questions?

"If I gave you a wad of cash what player would you spend?"

I appreciate that this sort of task may not have intruded upon your working life yet but it's customary to interview candidates before deciding who to employ.

Its an ever so slightly different situation to becoming a checkout operator at Tesco though.

Out of interest does anyone know what goes on in these interviews? I'm presuming they are not like your bog standard 'tell me about a time....' or 'if you were a crab how would you climb Everest' questions?

Where do you see the club in 5 years, what makes you the right man for the job? Do you hate the fucking old firm and hearts? What will you bring to the club? Do you enjoy a spot of gardening?

Archived