Next Dundee United Manager

409 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brown makes a statement...

With speculation rife linking manager Tommy Wright with the managerial vacancy at Dundee United FC, Saints Chairman Steve Brown has this morning moved to clarify the clubs position.

Brown said: The manager has never indicated that he wishes to leave the club and I have spoken with Tommy regarding this particular matter and he has reiterated to me that he is more than happy at Saints.

The Chairman continued: Since I appointed Tommy, I have had a good working relationship with him and we are both striving to maintain the success we have enjoyed in recent seasons and therefore, regardless of any approach and any level of compensation that might be offered, it will be flatly turned down.

It is important to me that all St Johnstone supporters are assured that we intend for Tommy to remain at the club beyond his current contract which already runs to June 2017.

Welcome to Fortress Tannadice, Wrighty! :wub:

Wut?

He did dismiss it out of hand :lol:

Read what I said again and come back to me.

Dismissing it as I meant in that post would be not even acknowledging it rather than preparing a club statement about it.

The difficulty here (and the Partick Thistle fan above exemplifies the confusion) is that if Wright wants to go then he'll go with or without compensation being agreed. Indeed if United did sign Wright and did pay Saints it would be on behalf of Wright himself, not because United are under any obligation. You can't hold a man to an employment contract if he wants to leave and nor should you be able to.

:lol:

From Brown's statement;

Brown said: “The manager has never indicated that he wishes to leave the club and I have spoken with Tommy regarding this particular matter and he has reiterated to me that he is more than happy at Saints.”

Could all be posturing, but a pretty bold statement to put out if Tommy is angling for the move.

I'd guess mostly due to the initial posturing and subsequent panic amongst you lot. It's been hilarious to watch.

Swanson-esque.

That said I hope with every fibre of my being he tells Utd to GTF. It might cost me £50 in the long run with my bet with TSAC but that's far preferable to Utd having a competent manager.

Pretty much this. The absolute desperation in almost every single St Johnstone posters postings is glorious to read.

Read what I said again and come back to me.

Dismissing it as I meant in that post would be not even acknowledging it rather than preparing a club statement about it.

Considering the stir this has caused in the fan base, I think it's a good idea to release such a statement. There's a lot of worried, sometimes hysterical, Saintees out there and to say 'regardless of any approach and any level of compensation that might be offered, it will be flatly turned down.' will put minds at rest.

I'm not really sure if Steve could have released a statement with any more conviction. He's said the manager is happy at Saints, he's said he'll turn down any compensation offer at any level and he's also hinted at a contract extension.

Now, if Tommy does decide he wants to leave Saints, I'm sure Saints will open up lines of communication with United. As things stand at the moment though, Saints clearly aren't entertaining any offers from United for Wright. It's a funny old game though, so that may change.

From Brown's statement;

Brown said: “The manager has never indicated that he wishes to leave the club and I have spoken with Tommy regarding this particular matter and he has reiterated to me that he is more than happy at Saints.”

Could all be posturing, but a pretty bold statement to put out if Tommy is angling for the move.

No argument from me on that score, merely pointing out that it's not really within Steve Brown's power to stop Wright moving if he wants to move. That's a matter which is entirely down to the employee. I can see why United would want Wright and, all else being equal, United's a better gig than Saints. All else isn't equal though and the United gig isn't so much better that you can ignore all the potential/probable pitfalls - not least moving to a team with a losing mentality.

In general, I'd say that a manager who is successful at a particular club should stay there for as long as he can because he's going to find it very difficult to replicate that success at a new club where things simply might not click.

That's why I'd be loathe for United to break the bank to get a new guy who is currently flavour of the month just because he's flavour of the month. I'd rather we looked for a guy with a particular skillset to fix the problems currently at United (ie someone who can make a team difficult to beat), who has shown in the past that he can be successful and, frankly, who has failed previously and shown that he can come back from that failure. The current fad seems to be for guys who have never failed - which invariably means guys who are only two minutes into the job. If we assume that football management involves skills that can be learned rather than a god-given gift then surely you want to get a guy who has made mistakes, learned from them and is better for the experience.

" Former United striker and Finland boss Paatelainen was at Tynecastle on Saturday to watch Kilmarnock's game against Hearts, who are United's first opponents after the international break."

Interesting. Perhaps he's second favourite if they fail to get Wright.

" Former United striker and Finland boss Paatelainen was at Tynecastle on Saturday to watch Kilmarnock's game against Hearts, who are United's first opponents after the international break."

Interesting. Perhaps he's second favourite if they fail to get Wright.

United have apparently already spoken with Mixu, McCall and Alan Irvine. I imagine they'll also want to speak to Hughes as well as to Wright. Bit early to say whether any one of those is favourite, or second favourite.

A don't think it matters who next manager is. Thompson no interested in United it's what money he makes he is not dedicated like his dad not a fan. If he was a fan he would be at every game no in Australia all the time trying buy another club. A think it's another chairman United need.

I'd be less interested in what your chairman has to say and more interested in what Wright has to say on the matter. Although Craig Broon was adamant that he had unfinished work with well. Was a Dandy higwayman the next day.

Archived