Next Dundee United Manager

409 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

You're in dreamland if you think either of them would want to manage St Johnstone considering they are going through the best period of their history and replacing a legend. It will be someone looking for a chance or someone on the shit heap like when Hughes went to Inverness to replace Butcher who similarly done brilliant with ICT. Wouldn't surprise me if it was Lomas or even Jackie Mac.

i clearly think he means mixu or Irvine to United not saints

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Presumably the argument is that taking two different teams into Europe is more noteworthy; showing that he can steadily improve one team and then radically turn around another team is more noteworthy. Seems reasonable.

Still not convinced it would make any substantial difference to his reputation down South tbh

Coyle, McInnes and Lomas all got picked up by Championship sides for what they achieved with us. Thats the same level TW will likely leave for, I can't see him getting into Europe with Dundee United changing the level of club that'll go for him. Regardless of whether he stays or go it'll be the same level he'll end up at, he was already on shortlists for clubs down there this Summer.

Coyle, McInnes and Lomas all got picked up by Championship sides for what they achieved with us. Thats the same level TW will likely leave for, I can't see him getting into Europe with Dundee United changing the level of club that'll go for him. Regardless of whether he stays or go it'll be the same level he'll end up at, he was already on shortlists for clubs down there this Summer.

I would suggest there is a big difference between those and Wright, his age. Teams at that level seem to want up and coming young managers or occasionally someone with a proven record in England.

And of course his stock would rise more if he lifted Utd up. If he could be successful with two different clubs it would add much more value. Only then do I think Championship teams might glance in his direction.

I think if he is really ambitious he goes, as Utd are a bigger club. However I fully understand him not willing to risk the happiness he obviously gets managing Saints.

I'm rather surprised by how long this is taking. There doesn't seem to have been an update of any sort since Monday morning. I would have expected some movement at least by now,either Wright publicly declaring that he's not interested or reports that talks are taking place/have taken place.

I suppose it's possible that United have taken the 'no' from St Johnstone as answer and moved on but even then you would expect that to leak out in one form or another.

I'm rather surprised by how long this is taking. There doesn't seem to have been an update of any sort since Monday morning. I would have expected some movement at least by now,either Wright publicly declaring that he's not interested or reports that talks are taking place/have taken place.

I suppose it's possible that United have taken the 'no' from St Johnstone as answer and moved on but even then you would expect that to leak out in one form or another.

Radio Tay were reporting last night that contract talks were taking place between Saints and Wright/his agent yesterday. Not an update from United's perspective, but I'd imagine if those break down, Saints will be open to talking to United.

I am obviously in the minority that still thinks this as there is an absolute shit load of pessimism around tannadice these days but the squad that whoever inherits is nowhere near as bad as is being made out. McNamara had recruited way too many players of dubious quality and had completely lost the plot by the end but there is still a good solid squad in there.

There isn't mate.

I did a thread last season about a Dundee/Utd XI. You had Armstrong, GMS, Fojut, ciftci, cierzniak etc at the time and we still had letheren in goal etc.

It was predominantly Utd players.

If I did a thread now, and if I'm bored I might, I can think of 2 or 3 tops that would be Utd players.

We have improved marginally from last season but utds squad has regressed so much that the main reason for this shift is more your decline than our improvement.

Radio Tay were reporting last night that contract talks were taking place between Saints and Wright/his agent yesterday. Not an update from United's perspective, but I'd imagine if those break down, Saints will be open to talking to United.

Yeah, perhaps.

I think Wright's agent will know what is on offer from United so if talks break down with saints this should be over quickly.

Robert Thomson from the sun saying on Twitter today could be the most interesting yet.

No idea what he means by that, but I've a funny feeling United have perhaps chosen the man.

Geoff loves dropping truth bombs occasionally, even if it does explode on us sometimes.

The best/worse one was when he went ballistic about Gretna on the day we played Hamilton. Then 2 years later when we got promoted had a massive dig at them

The best/worse one was when he went ballistic about Gretna on the day we played Hamilton. Then 2 years later when we got promoted had a massive dig at them

Yeah, I think he probably regretted that one. The one two years later was good fun to read though!

I miss his rants tbh.

Swithering, PMS? Really?

No, I'm sure there's another perfectly sensible explanation as to why Wright has pointedly failed to publicly confirm his commitment to St Johnstone. Perhaps none of the dozen media outlets following the story have simply got round to speaking to him yet. Apparently he likes to holiday in Northern Ireland, maybe the papers haven't arrived from Stranraer yet.

I don't think Wright's coming to United but you're kidding yourself if you think that there hasn't been a major charm offensive going on behind the scenes at McDiarmid these last few days to convince him to stay.

Archived