Should there be a borders league

Not sure if anyone else cares. Please let Kelso United FC's good name remain, and stop posting here about them. You are bringing the club into disrepute and are presumably breaking your club and league's code of conduct. Kelso are plainly having a difficult start to the season, so the last thing they need is bitching about them on here. If you want to be a P&B hero, fair enough, but not whilst representing a club with a proud history.

kinda sums it up perfectly for me MR

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think finding dates would be a major problem - e.g. play the opening ties the weekend before the season starts, and the next round on midweek in August (only Eyemouth played this midweek for example), and you'd have most of the ties cleared-up already. Hawick and Gala have floodlights too and there is also the Christmas break, although the Lowland is playing on New Year this season... I think a bigger issue could be whether the Lowland triumvirate even wanted to participate, maybe seeing it as small fry. On the other hand if they didn't you'd only have 6 which is 2x R1, 2x SF and Final.

I think maybe the LL teams would be interested. Games could maybe even be played at Gala's 3G on winter midweeks.

• 8 months later...

It seemed somewhat tasteless to continue with this after Kelso went down the tubes, however the final table was:

P   GD  Pts

1  Hawick      8  +20   19

Peebles     8   +2   18

3  Coldstream  8   -5   10

Eyemouth    8   -3    7

5  Duns        8  -14    3

Congratulations to Hawick.

It seemed somewhat tasteless to continue with this after Kelso went down the tubes, however the final table was:

P   GD  Pts

1  Hawick      8  +20   19

Peebles     8   +2   18

3  Coldstream  8   -5   10

Eyemouth    8   -3    7

5  Duns        8  -14    3

Congratulations to Hawick.

duns bottom of that league too!!

• 2 weeks later...

Tweedmouth is in Northumberland, controversial.

Via ascent of Hawick to LL my executive decision is that we now have a 2-division Border League.

Border League, Upper Division

Gala Fairydean Rovers

Hawick Royal Albert

Selkirk

Vale of Leithen

Border League, Lower Division

Duns

Coldstream

Eyemouth United

Peebles Rovers

+ Tweedmouth Rangers

• 11 months later...

Bump.

Not content with meeting in LL, an announcement today that Gala and Selkirk will contest a "Borders Challenge Cup" this pre-season...

Borders League this season would have finished:

Upper Division
1)... Hawick... 12pts +4
2)... Gala... 10pts -2
3)... Selkirk... 7pts +7
4)... Vale of L... 6pts -9

Lower Division
1)... Coldstream... 13pts +7
2)... Eyemouth... 11pts +1
3)... Peebles... 6pts +2
4)... Tweedmouth... 4pts -10

• 8 months later...

Bump, wasn't an obvious thread.

Coldstream 1-8 Tynecastle
Eyemouth United 0-6 Preston Athletic
Tweedmouth Rangers 1-9 Leith Athletic

Wouldn't surprise if this afternoon was the worst-ever day for senior football in Berwickshire & Berwick :ph34r:.

Duns, where art thou :(?

2 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Bump, wasn't an obvious thread.

Coldstream 1-8 Tynecastle
Eyemouth United 0-6 Preston Athletic
Tweedmouth Rangers 1-9 Leith Athletic

Wouldn't surprise if this afternoon was the worst-ever day for senior football in Berwickshire & Berwick :ph34r:.

Duns, where art thou :(?

It’s getting fucking worse every season. Today all at home and against decent teams and pumped. From what the craic is, Duns recently on the brink of folding, but apparently the local players playing elsewhere  have rallied around the club.  Changes at Tweedmouth end of season also. Football here imo is still fucked 

Only 70 at Gala v East Stirlingshire today in the Lowland, I was always lead to believe that Gala were getting a couple of hundred through the gate and with the visitors having a few travelling fans I thought it would be a healthy crowd. Wrong.

Hopefully the defection of some decent Junior clubs over the next few seasons gives the whole set-up a kick start.

16 minutes ago, heedthebaa said:

It’s getting fucking worse every season. Today all at home and against decent teams and pumped. From what the craic is, Duns recently on the brink of folding, but apparently the local players playing elsewhere  have rallied around the club.  Changes at Tweedmouth end of season also. Football here imo is still fucked 

12.png

... Chirnside, where art thou?

Archived