Tipping

Why tip at Nando's and not Burger King? They are both serving food?

Just because someone is the other side of a counter from you doesn't make them any less eligible for reward for good service?

I reward people, not eating places.

For instance, last week I got great service at a massage parlour after having agreed a price.

The service was great so I left a small deposit.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I tip unless the waiter or chef makes a mess of the order, which is quite common as I'm a fussy b*stard. 20-30% is the norm unless I don't have much change. I only tip in pubs and restaurants though. Tipping someone for serving me a burger that costs a quid just seems bizzare :blink:

Why tip at Nando's and not Burger King? They are both serving food?

Last time I was at BK, nobody passed by and asked if I needed any more drinks, condiments etc. If you do, you need to wait in a queue.

Tips here basically exist as an informal bribe to get more attention from your waiter.

Uh uh, I dont tip. No, I dont believe in it. Dont give me that, if she dont make enough money she can quit. I dont tip because society says I have to. All right, I mean Ill tip if someone really deserves a tipping, if they really put forth the effort, Ill give them something extra, but I mean this tipping automatically, its for the birds. I mean as far as Im concerned theyre just doing their job. She was okay. She wasnt anything special. Look I ordered coffee all right? Now weve been here a long fuckin time, shes only filled my cup three times. When I order coffee I want it filled six times. The words too fuckin busy shouldnt be in a waitress vocabulary. Jesus Christ, these ladies arent starving to death. They make minimum wage. I used to work minimum wage and when I did I wasnt lucky enough to have a job that society deemed tip worthy. You know what this is? Its the worlds smallest violin playing just for the waitresses. So is working at McDonalds but you dont feel the need to tip them do you? Well why not? Theyre serving you food. But no, society says dont tip these guys over here, but tip these guys over here. Thats bullshit. f**k all that. I mean Im very sorry the government taxes their tips. Thats fucked up. That aint my fault. I mean it would appear that waitresses are one of the many groups the government fucks in the ass on a regular basis. I mean show a piece of paper that says the government shouldnt do that, Ill sign it, put it to a vote, Ill vote for it, but what I wont do is play ball. And this non-college bullshit I got two words for that: learn to fucking type, cause if youre expecting me to help out with the rent youre in for a big fucking surprise.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-33849595

The article above, tells how Pizza Express take 8% of all tips paid by credit / debit cards as an admin fee for processing these, which in turn adds around an extra £1 million to their profits each year.

The article also explains how inconsistent this seems to be within the industry, with some big chains taking no fee, whilst others take up to 10%.

Personally I think this is fucking ridiculous but the P&B masses may disagree

don't worry about the waiters at pizza express, they get more money than the managers. The waiters could pay to work there and still be up on tips in Glasgow or Edinburgh. It's the back of house staff this affects.

I tip when eating in a group of 3 or more and when at my favourite restaurants. Always cash normally c10%.

Why only in a group of 3 or more? Too embarrassed to leave change rather than notes? Don't be.

My local chip shop goes above and beyond what I class as outstanding service, hence the hike in tippage.

Only last week, I ordered my usual fish supper, single steak pie, and smoked sausage supper with 2 pickled eggs and 8 pickled onions ( it was lunch time, not tea time) and the fish fryer asked if I wanted a couple of chip butties thrown in for free- that's beyond outstanding!

Are you supposed to tip at chippers?

Was speaking to an American in work the other day who said it's compulsary to tip in the US. Waiting is one of the only jobs which isn't paid a minimum wage and everyone finds that ridiculous but there's never going to be a way around it.

Waiting is one of the only jobs which isn't paid a minimum wage and everyone finds that ridiculous but there's never going to be a way around it.

Was this not about to change? Or were they only talking of making minimum wage compulsory?

Archived