Tipping

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-33849595

The article above, tells how Pizza Express take 8% of all tips paid by credit / debit cards as an admin fee for processing these, which in turn adds around an extra £1 million to their profits each year.

The article also explains how inconsistent this seems to be within the industry, with some big chains taking no fee, whilst others take up to 10%.

Personally I think this is fucking ridiculous but the P&B masses may disagree

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I often ask if the staff get all their tips before putting it on the card but I prefer to pay a tip in cash.

Often? Surprised you venture out your house just incase you have some good times inflicted upon you inadverdantly. You are very critical of attention seekers but seem to be one yourself.

In short, bore off.

The whole notion of tipping is inconsistent, often arbitrary and more reflective of a society that doesn't pay service workers enough rather than one of generosity.

When I was a student I was a waiter in a large hotel. Tips on the card were added up, and divided equally between everyone who worked in the hotel (including management etc) into our payslips, so despite often raking in a few hundred a night we would end up with about an additional £10 each month. Theoretically we were supposed to hand in all our tips given in cash to be added up and included in this amount, but obviously no-one actually did.

Has made me a lot more careful about making sure the people I'm giving a tip to are actually getting to keep it.

Better than places that automatically include a 'gratuity charge' that is included in your bill.

Often? Surprised you venture out your house just incase you have some good times inflicted upon you inadverdantly. You are very critical of attention seekers but seem to be one yourself.

In short, bore off.

Oh no, I've upset Roland.

"bore off" :lol::lol::lol:

I say to customers that we don't accept tips on cards, because I just don't know where it goes. I certainly don't get it.

Edit- and I don't actually know how to do it. There's not an option. People will sometimes add the tip on if they're charging to their room, but I don't get any of that either.

If tipping, I always leave cash. Even if the card machine asks for the gratuity, I enter £0 and leave some coinage on the table. However, this sometimes, but rarely, leaves the headache if I'm short of pound coins, in which case I'll put it through the machine.

I'm one of those variable tippers though. If it's one of those restaurants where it's clear that it's the owners who are running the show, then they can swivel unless they've some school girl* waitress in working for a scandalous (imo) £5p/h.

*Because of the shite wage, nothing to do with grooming, honest.

I tip according to service, and always in cash.

I think 30% of the total amount of the bill is acceptable if the service is outstanding, I then scale it back from that point.

My pet hate is if you ask the waiter/ waitress what the specials are & they "need to check with the kitchen" - those fuckers start on 0% and increase depending on the rest of the service.

Unless I ask "what's the soup de jour" and they wittily respond "soup of the day" they get maximum.

Normally I pay around £2.10 for a £1.50 bag of chips.

I tip according to service, and always in cash.

I think 30% of the total amount of the bill is acceptable if the service is outstanding, I then scale it back from that point.

My pet hate is if you ask the waiter/ waitress what the specials are & they "need to check with the kitchen" - those fuckers start on 0% and increase depending on the rest of the service.

Unless I ask "what's the soup de jour" and they wittily respond "soup of the day" they get maximum.

Normally I pay around £2.10 for a £1.50 bag of chips.

Maths isn't your strong point fatty

Maths isn't your strong point fatty

My local chip shop goes above and beyond what I class as outstanding service, hence the hike in tippage.

Only last week, I ordered my usual fish supper, single steak pie, and smoked sausage supper with 2 pickled eggs and 8 pickled onions ( it was lunch time, not tea time) and the fish fryer asked if I wanted a couple of chip butties thrown in for free- that's beyond outstanding!

I was surprised by how few people tip when I worked in a hotel recently, and I'm not talking about the shit service they got from me, even the flirty experienced waitresses got next to nothing. I wouldn't worry to much about calculating 10% or whatever, a few quid is well appreciated and can boost the wages to something approaching a living wage. I usually aim for around 10% though if I've got the right change and the service and/or food isn't shite.

I was surprised by how few people tip when I worked in a hotel recently, and I'm not talking about the shit service they got from me, even the flirty experienced waitresses got next to nothing. I wouldn't worry to much about calculating 10% or whatever, a few quid is well appreciated and can boost the wages to something approaching a living wage. I usually aim for around 10% though if I've got the right change and the service and/or food isn't shite.

If you don't mind me asking, where did you do hotel work?

I find tipping is very cultural, I've been in places in the states and received piss poor service and tipped accordingly, they are genuinely pissed off if they don't receive the accepted 10-15%.

Tipping is an American scam so they can pay people less. Leaving a percentage of a bill is madness because there is absolutely no correlation between the price of food and the quality of service.

Who gets a tip is another kerfuffle as well. I'm not tipping at Starbucks because that is exactly the same as McDonalds or Subway and those scrotes deserve f-all. My general rule is that someone is only eligible for a tip if I don't have to pay up front. So taxi drivers, take-away delivery, hairdressers, restaurant staff are all eligible and I only tip in cash.

Places with tip jars on the counter are a disgrace too, whatever happened to charity tins.

Tipping is an American scam so they can pay people less. Leaving a percentage of a bill is madness because there is absolutely no correlation between the price of food and the quality of service.

Who gets a tip is another kerfuffle as well. I'm not tipping at Starbucks because that is exactly the same as McDonalds or Subway and those scrotes deserve f-all. My general rule is that someone is only eligible for a tip if I don't have to pay up front. So taxi drivers, take-away delivery, hairdressers, restaurant staff are all eligible and I only tip in cash.

Places with tip jars on the counter are a disgrace too, whatever happened to charity tins.

Is Reservoir Dogs your favourite film?

Im going NYC soon and I've heard the tipping there is ridiculous. The entire thing is a scam - if i got and pay for something i look to see how much it is first and don't see why i should pay someone more for them to do their own job. Will have to just go along with it when there but it pisses me right off

In hotels there they leave envelopes there to tip people to tidy your room

Archived