Stenny vs Airdrie

Airdrie fans talk some right utter pish, delusions of grandeur, unrealistic expectations, arrogance and ridiculously harsh criticism of the club and players at the slightest hint of any underperformance.....reminds me of the fans of the club we will play in a few weeks in the cup.

Sat and watched a DVD last night of some true Airdrie legends of the last 40 years- Bain doesn't deserve to wear the same shirt.

Suppose that applies to you as well then?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Airdrie fans talk some right utter pish, delusions of grandeur, unrealistic expectations, arrogance and ridiculously harsh criticism of the club and players at the slightest hint of any underperformance.....reminds me of the fans of the club we will play in a few weeks in the cup.

That's a bit harsh.

Whilst I agree that a lot of our fan base haven't moved on since the 90's, I don't think an expectation that we should be competing to get out of the third tier of Scottish football is unrealistic.

I've not seen a lot in this thread that displays ridiculously harsh criticism of players except for you. I don't like Bain's diving either but you seem to have an unnatural obsession with it. Saying he should be booted out the club because of it is an utterly comical overreaction.

First time I've seen Morgan was on Saturday and he looked pretty poor. He lost the ball, never held anything up, his touch was poor and he never found a pass. He got into some nice positions but to pretend it was anything other than a poor debut is plain daft.

For me, Lithgow was pretty poor too. I thought he looked overweight, cumbersome and slow. Wasn't happy with his positional sense either.

I can see us losing again on Saturday. I don't think Stenny have a better squad on paper but I think we looked a little shambolic at times last week. There's more than a touch of deja vu about our start to the season......

Sandy Stewart was our left back through the early to late 90s when we reached 2 cup finals, Europe, 4 league cup semis and a mickey mouse win. He was right footed. Can we stop this BS about left footed full backs already? Danny McGrain, Denis Irwin and Andreas Brehme would be pissing themselves at the ignorance on here. Bain, O'Neill and Van Zanten are equally capable on either side, the ability to defend 1v1 translates to either flank.

Van Zanten was injured most of last season, he looks a lot less mobile than the other 2, in my expert opinion there's no way he should be preferred to O'Neill on either side of defence. He may improve on his lacklustre display at Stirling after a few more games.

Sandy Stewart was our left back through the early to late 90s when we reached 2 cup finals, Europe, 4 league cup semis and a mickey mouse win. He was right footed. Can we stop this BS about left footed full backs already? Danny McGrain, Denis Irwin and Andreas Brehme would be pissing themselves at the ignorance on here.

Aye but did we win the European Cup? Naw. Reason enough not to play a right footer at LB imo.

Sandy Stewart was our left back through the early to late 90s when we reached 2 cup finals, Europe, 4 league cup semis and a mickey mouse win. He was right footed. Can we stop this BS about left footed full backs already? Danny McGrain, Denis Irwin and Andreas Brehme would be pissing themselves at the ignorance on here. Bain, O'Neill and Van Zanten are equally capable on either side, the ability to defend 1v1 translates to either flank.

Van Zanten was injured most of last season, he looks a lot less mobile than the other 2, in my expert opinion there's no way he should be preferred to O'Neill on either side of defence. He may improve on his lacklustre display at Stirling after a few more games.

Have a virtual thumbs up for shoehorning an Andreas Brehme reference into a thread about Stenhousemuir v Airdrie

Your argument is absolute nonsense given you're asking why a right footed League 1 right back isn't comfortable playing left back while WORLD CLASS FOOTBALLERS ARE but the mention of Brehme made my day. It could only be enhanced further by a reference to Paul Breitner, my favourite ever German left back. I mean, I Paul Breitner can play left back and in midfield, why can't Liam Henderson?

Your argument is absolute nonsense given you're asking why a right footed League 1 right back isn't comfortable playing left back while WORLD CLASS FOOTBALLERS ARE but the mention of Brehme made my day. It could only be enhanced further by a reference to Paul Breitner, my favourite ever German left back. I mean, I Paul Breitner can play left back and in midfield, why can't Liam Henderson?

Good you mentioned Sandy Stewart being world class. Who is Liam Henderson?

Ps, i said 3x league 1 right backs are equally comfortable playing left back in league 1. Keep up please.

Some players can play in multiple positions. For example, Thierry Henry was comfortable playing up front like he mainly did for Arsenal or out on the right wing like he did for previous clubs and France. Other strikers, for example Ruud Van Nistelrooy can only really play up top in a poacher type roll. The point which I'm trying to make as if I was explaining it to a pre school child is that some players are not comfortable playing in a variety of positions even though many of the attributes require are similar.

Some players can play in multiple positions. For example, Thierry Henry was comfortable playing up front like he mainly did for Arsenal or out on the right wing like he did for previous clubs and France. Other strikers, for example Ruud Van Nistelrooy can only really play up top in a poacher type roll. The point which I'm trying to make as if I was explaining it to a pre school child is that some players are not comfortable playing in a variety of positions even though many of the attributes require are similar.

Fudgepacker. I am pre school. And chris O'Neill and Jamie Bain have shown they are equally adept at playing left back. Van Zanten struggled at Stirling not because he was out of position but that he looked like his legs were gone.

Now, go finger yourself.

The moral of all this chat about right footed left backs is, can Gary Bollan reliably build a squad for the start of the season? The answer, upon current evidence, is no.

FFS Kerr can you change the feckin record?

Every year we have the same shit about our managers not being able to build a squad. Anyone with half a brain knows how we end up with the same shit every season - and it's not the manager's fault.

Feck, cant believe I'm now sticking up for boring Bollan.

How is it not the manager's fault? He brings players in, evaluates them and then decides to sign them. A manager lives and dies by his signings just as he lives and dies by his results.

Fair enough after one game I'm perhaps being a bit quick on to it, but there's an altogether too familiar feeling about the start to a season.

This is exactly the kind of thing I was talking about earlier in the thread - every single 'issue' is an overreaction.

This is only Bollan's second season building a team from the summer with us and we've lost 2 out of 3 games. In one of those, the margin of defeat was narrow, and the other, as El Gringo pointed out, featured a very experimental team. We went until the end of September last season without a single victory, yet we have one already this year. There is no way Bollan's abilities or short comings can be judged at this stage and no way the two seasons can be fairly compared at the moment

Are we still short 1 or 2 players? Yes. Does Bollan know his best 11 yet? No. However, I don't think that constitutes a cause for concern yet. We just need patience.

Back to Saturday, having thought about my initial team selection, I actually reckon we'd be better going 4-3-3. That way, the back line still get cover from a holding midfielder but Prunty wouldn't be left isolated up front himself. So I'd go...

post-7964-14393828309706_thumb.jpg

In light of my more attacking line up I'll be adjusting my prediction. 6-0 to Airdrie.

How is it not the manager's fault? He brings players in, evaluates them and then decides to sign them. A manager lives and dies by his signings just as he lives and dies by his results.

Fair enough after one game I'm perhaps being a bit quick on to it, but there's an altogether too familiar feeling about the start to a season.

Our manager is given a pittance to construct a team that our dwindling AlbionRoversish fanbase demands, then embarrasses himself offering decent players and appalling wage. He then tries to scramble about at the last minute trying to sign any warm body he can (eg. Morgan) find in hope that a gamble pays off. By end of August he has to try to mutually release anyone that's not working out and hope he can get an emergency loan in that'll improve things till the winter window where a once decent player who has been out for a while and isn't under contract will accept a short term pish paying gig for a few months to put himself in the shop window.

Any you want to blame a manager who has had a few half decent spells with us?

For what it's worth I'm in the same place as many others re. the squad construction, we're definitely short of a goalscorer. We'd need to have a team capable of scoring around 65 goals and conceding no more than mid 30s to have a chance of winning the league. I don't think we have enough of a goal threat just now but think the current stodgy look has the capability of not conceding so many.

Players goal scoring capability:

O'Neill - 1

Bain - 3 goals

Crichton - 1

Lithgow - 2

V. Zanten - no expectation

McBride - no expectation

Gilfillan - 3

McAleer - 3

Cox - 3-4

Morton - capable of 10

Watt - 2

Morgan - no expectation

Lister - 6 if he gets back by October

Prunty - 12

Fitzpatrick - 3

Sumsky - possibly 1 or 2

I don't think those expectations are too wild barring injuries to the players, but we're teetering in the mid 50s in terms of potential goals scored. As said, the team has been built around a stodgy core that should be defensively sound with McBride and Gilfillan anchoring the midfield. The biggest areas that could improve us is to get more from Cox and/or Morgan (and dare I say Lister's wage). If Cox played as Prunty's striker partner i'd be disappointed if he couldn't chip in with double figures, if he cant he's not doing his job. I can't see anything in Morgan that makes him look like a goalscorer. We're asking a lot of Prunty at 33y/o too. A 20goal a year striker would obviously elevate this team to new heights, maybe that's what Bollan will need to look for when he tries to get a loanee in?

As constructed I'd think we're looking at being a solid play off contender at best. Don't think we'll be whipping boys either... unless bollan can magic up a goalscorer or turn Cox or Morgan into one.

Don't think GB will get the chance to magic up a goal scorer we probably have the biggest squad outside the top league 25 players in our first team squad can't see the new chairman giving the go ahead for another signing, hopefully Cox or Morgan can go on a goal scoring run

Hoping for a win on Saturday but a draw would be a good result as well I think. Think we just need to give them time to gel as a team and we will be fine, I know we lost at the weekend but that could have easily been a win, 3 or 4 really good saves from Douglas and a goal line clearance in the second half, on another day that could have been 2 or 3 goals easily so not going to start worrying just yet.

Archived