Livingston V QoS

Be interesting to see Lyles disallowed goal again. For me, Hilson didnt do an awful lot wrong, seemed like Jamieson ran into him and spilled the ball

Having seen the highlights, Im going back to this. Theres definitely no kick. Jamieson throws the ball out to kick it as Hilson is running past him. The ball hits Hilson and then Jamieson juggles it and loses it. Hilson doesnt make any move to play the ball or impede the keeper. It does hit his arm, though, but it would an incredibly harsh handball.

ETA - still think the same about Kidds card. Stupid challenge which some refs would have sent him off for.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought that Jamieson was still in control of the ball when Jacobs played it so wasn't too surprised when the referee disallowed the "goal". I'm not too sure if the ref actually saw what happened as he looked to have turned his back and maybe got a word in his ear from his assistant or maybe just took the easy option of accepting the defending team's version. Either way it looked to me like he got it right.

Not too sure he made the right choice with Kidd's booking tho. Jumping in, straight leg, studs showing tackle looked a straight red to me at the time. Doesn't matter if it's one footed or two and doesn't matter if the Livi player overreacted or was genuinely injured, I think we got a break with that one. I would have been screaming for a red card if an opposition player put in a tackle like that on a Queens player. Double whammy for Livi as Kidd then went on to score the winning goal. Ouch!

I don't think there can be any doubt that, over the piece, Queens deserved their win, but we really need to be taking more of the scoring chances that are created or we could easily get hit with a sucker punch.

ETA: I can see it being a long, nerve-wracking season if we are going to sit back and defend one goal leads, especially against teams we should be looking to take more goals off.

Are you saying we did that on Saturday? :huh:

Having seen the highlights, Im going back to this. Theres definitely no kick. Jamieson throws the ball out to kick it as Hilson is running past him. The ball hits Hilson and then Jamieson juggles it and loses it. Hilson doesnt make any move to play the ball or impede the keeper. It does hit his arm, though, but it would an incredibly harsh handball.

ETA - still think the same about Kidds card. Stupid challenge which some refs would have sent him off for.

The incident with Hilson and Jamieson is a difficult one as I don't think there is any particular intent by Hilson and it's not absolutely clear Jamieson's trying to kick it. However I think most referees would have called it a foul. You aren't allowed to interfere with the goalkeeper in the act of kicking the ball from hand, Hilson does appear to do that albeit inadvertently. The fact that Jamieson tries to re-catch the ball rather than just swing a foot at it (and miss, getting an automatic free kick) makes it more awkward but I think it's probably a foul for obstruction if nothing else. Good finish from Lyle though.

First decent look at the Kidd challenge which was wrong side for me at the time. On balance I think the referee called it right. One footed and clearly going for the ball but he was off the ground and potentially viewable as "out of control". I don't doubt some would have red carded him.

I like the behind goal camera footage. I take it we got it from Livi rather than we have a new toy?

The incident with Hilson and Jamieson is a difficult one as I don't think there is any particular intent by Hilson and it's not absolutely clear Jamieson's trying to kick it. However I think most referees would have called it a foul. You aren't allowed to interfere with the goalkeeper in the act of kicking the ball from hand, Hilson does appear to do that albeit inadvertently. The fact that Jamieson tries to re-catch the ball rather than just swing a foot at it (and miss, getting an automatic free kick) makes it more awkward but I think it's probably a foul for obstruction if nothing else. Good finish from Lyle though.

First decent look at the Kidd challenge which was wrong side for me at the time. On balance I think the referee called it right. One footed and clearly going for the ball but he was off the ground and potentially viewable as "out of control". I don't doubt some would have red carded him.

I like the behind goal camera footage. I take it we got it from Livi rather than we have a new toy?

No, its our new toy. Looks great, doesnt it? :thumsup2

On the balance of that, it certainly looked like we deserved to win.

On the key moments, I think the Lyle goal probably was disallowed for the 'keeper being obstructed as he went to kick it out. Hilson is pretty passive though and there's no doubt that the goalie makes an arse of it as he pulls out of the kick and scoops it away with his hands. The ref was just about right technically, I think. The goalkeeper would have been mightily relieved by his reading of the incident though.

Again with Kidd, I think that the ref was probably about right. Kidd is saved by just going in with one foot, but it's reckless and might have resulted in a red.

I thought our penalty shout for handball was decent, as was Livingston's second one.

The goal was messy, but I can see how the goalie let it in. He was expecting a Hilson flick, but he missed (rather than dummied) it and the 'keeper was sold.

We'd lots of other chances though. I hadn't realised from reading about the game either, that Conroy had hit the post with another free-kick. That really could be some weapon for us this season.

Great highlights, as always.

Guest TOPFITTER

Great coverage Malcolm, love the new behind the goal cameras (You'll have to show me how they work ;) ) Enough chances to win 2 or 3 games. Not been able to see in the flesh yet but this team seems to have lots of potential and a youthfullness and plenty of energy.

Och well as I said deserved 3 points for queens. However that's two big game changing decisions (given that Kidd scored) in two weeks that have gone against us. Refs 2 livi 0 so far. I'll keep an eye out for these evening up over the season

If that's a red card, fitba would have to take slide tackles out of the game completely! Not only was it not a red card, it wasn't even a foul. Kidd won the ball cleanly and went in with one foot. Hippolyte made it look bad by play acting IMO.

I suppose the game has changed over the last few years. I was always told "as long as you get the ball first". But now, that line is pretty much void. You have to win the ball first yes, but there is certain criteria you have to meet along the way!

What a great set of highlights, well produced, some nice camera angles, good slow-mo at the main controversy.

None of the so-called handballs were penalties for me. All ball to hand, one of them never even hit the hand. The ref did get the foul outside the box right as well.

The Lewis Kidd yellow was the one mistake that ended up costing us the match. If it was Hippolyte that had done that to Kidd, you boys would have been screaming for blood.

Kidd leaves the ground with a straight leg and kicks Hipplolyte with his studs just above Hippo's ankle. It's a brutal tackle which could have put Hippo out injured for a number of weeks or months if he had been a couple of inches lower.

Queens were by far the better team and their finishing was woeful. If I didn't see Jordan White on the bench for us, I would have sworn he was wearing 9 for Queens. Last years Queens would have stuck 5 or 6 past us.

It should have been a whole lot easier for Queens. For some mysterious reason, they decided to attack us mainly down Russell's wing rather than overload on Hippo on the other side. If Queens had done that, we'd have lost by a lot more than 1 goal.

We were disorientated and had around 4 or 5 players playing out of position and to be honest, Queens were the better team but I wasn't impressed by their finishing or failure to exploit our obvious and glaring weaknesses.

Swings and roundabouts - the Kidd challenge should have been a straight red but in all honesty Queens should have been about 3 up at that time. Frankly I'm not sure that even if Queens had gone down to 10 men we could have honestly broken their defence down.

Chalk and cheese from last week when we had the majority of the play and most of the chances but failed to put anything away compared to Saturday when many of the players played as if they'd only just met for the first time in the dressing room.

For the disallowed goal, Hilson's clearly running to get in front of Jamieson to delay him kicking it, and Jamieson shat out because of where Hilson was, if you look at the angle behind the goals it looks like DJ would have took Hilson out if he kept swinging his foot.

The challenge by Kidd was a bad one too, he's lunged off the ground and it's the kind of challenge Talbot would have been slated for. Hippolyte probably made the most of it but so would most players in that situation.

Queens got the win they deserved, luckily for us it was only by 1 goal. Hopefully we're not going to be that shite all season and that was mainly down to injuries/suspensions and players out of position. I'll give it a few more weeks when we've played a few more games before being certain we'll be battling at the bottom again, looking that way at the moment though.

Probably more worrying than the performance to be honest, certainly to the new owners anyway. Hospitality, new strip, new sponsor, discounts available to season ticket holders, all championed by the club just this week. Result? A drop in attendance of over 300 on the corresponding fixture with Queens last season (albeit that was in late October, which arguably should have lead to a bigger crowd today, what with it being summer and all).

The population of Livingston have next to no interest in the club.

It's always possible that a number of prospective supporters or lapsed supporters with young families don't agree with Livi signing a convicted thug?

If that's a red card, fitba would have to take slide tackles out of the game completely! Not only was it not a red card, it wasn't even a foul. Kidd won the ball cleanly and went in with one foot. Hippolyte made it look bad by play acting IMO.

I suppose the game has changed over the last few years. I was always told "as long as you get the ball first". But now, that line is pretty much void. You have to win the ball first yes, but there is certain criteria you have to meet along the way!

Dangerous play and was a silly challenge to make with a player lying on the ground going nowhere, we've had players sent off for less, intent was there whether he was two footed or one shouldn't make a difference. Wasn't a sliding tackle either, was clearly jumping in through the air, not along the ground.

Yeah that'll be it MCL, their morality will be stopping them going this season, although morals over admins didn't stop them must just be GBH that bothers them.

It's just a possibility. I'm sure there are others that are fed up with the shenanigans in the board room. It was a nice day, most people are back from their holidays so you would expect a few PATG punters but it didn't happen.

In reality how would the PATG punters even know the game was on?

Pretty much zero publicity and not even a wee leaflet stuck in the window of the Almondvale suite to notify people walking past that there was a game coming up.

Archived