Falkirk v Raith

Now that cancers like McGlynn and Murray are out of Scottish football, what is likely to be expected from the Rovers?

We technically should win this but it's getting to stage where a loss wouldn't surprise me. Overload our left side and its game over

McGlynn will always have favour among our fans on that he took us from absolute obscurity at the bottom end of the season division and got us into the first division, visiting a Scottish Cup semi-final and flirted with promotion to the top tier.

McKinnon has come in and so far the players have been allowed to express themselves quite freely. Both Benedictus and Toshney look good at playing it out from the back. The likes of Rory McKeown in particular have looked a lot more aggressive going forward. We'll probably play Craigen on the left (unless we got with Petrie) who is generally a centre midfielder, but with Rory I'm happy we can still get forward.

I'll probably head through for this one. Never seen us win in Falkirk though... :unsure:

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know, but for pure hard work McGlynn wins hands down. Although the football was annoying, he was a better motivator than Murray. Bert had much better players at his disposal and turn them to shit. If McGlynn had that luxury back then we wouldn't be struggling like we did under Murray.

As academic as the conversation is, I'm not sure he would, in fact I wonder if McGlynn sometimes passed up ability to make sure he got the right work ethic in his team - Murray did well enough assembling solid enough squads with some talent in there, but maybe didn't filter players by attitude in the same way mcGlynn did. Where he had issues was in not sufficiently organising them defensively, which for an ex-defender I find weird. Had we finished sixth last year but with a few less drubbings, he might still have been here. I wonder if, because he looked after himself, and was already a hard worker himself as a footballer, he couldn't quite see that others might not apply themselves like he did, and consequently he didn't drive them or coach them hard enough.

Still, to the present - 4-4-2 or 4-3-3? As harsh as it is on Bates I'd like to see Benedictus back in besides Toshney, they do look like a solid pairing. 4-3-3 or a diamond midfield I think would get the most out of Craigen and McCord, while I'd probably let Wighton keep his starting berth for the minute. As good as Megginson was last week, I still like having the intelligence and touch Wighton brings, while being able to bring on someone with Megginson's pace and work rate might make more sense as a game moves on.

I'd like to go 4-3-3 as well. I think it suits us best and won't leave Craigen out on the left hand side but more centrally where I think he will be more effective. Up top though I would rather have Stewart with Anderson and Megginson on either side. Quick, direct players and in Anderson and Megginsons case will get back to help the midfield more effectively if we are under the cosh.

It's obviously early days, but from what I've seen so far, McKinnon is a lot more pro-active in terms of changing systems during the game, something which hasn't been seen for a long time.

Murray was pretty rigid, while McGlynn went for the centre-half up front approach, and blooter the ball even harder if the team was in a pickle.

Whatever we start with on Saturday, and I'd happilly take out Wighton and play an attacking trio of Anderson, Stewart and Megginson FWIW, if it isn't working, McKinnon probably won't be slow in altering things.

I think Wighton's doing fine and should (and will) keep his place. Like the man above says, though, this.manager will change it (!) if it's necessary.

Not really expecting anything from the game but hope to see more signs of progress and to at least make it a contest. Would ideally see the two older CBs in together, but if Toshney isn't really sorted then I hope we go with Bates.

Obviously I'd be week up for us having our full back 4 starting on Saturday, however if Toshney is struggling still with his ankle, the I'd be quite happy to stick with Bates and just slip in Bene.

Falkirk definitely there for the taking, but it'll be a close tight game, and with goggles on, I'll say 2-1 Raith.

(And I'm going to the game too)

I see Lee Miller is now on trail at Falkirk as well. Any chance of signing before Saturday?

Bloody hell, why are we so slow. I'd love it if Lee Miller came to us. Looks like we're losing out to The Buddies with Shankland and now the bloody Bairns with Miller. We need a striker and both would have fitted the bill. Not both together mind you.

Bloody hell, why are we so slow. I'd love it if Lee Miller came to us. Looks like we're losing out to The Buddies with Shankland and now the bloody Bairns with Miller. We need a striker and both would have fitted the bill. Not both together mind you.

Who says we are, if we are in for Shankland then at least another two clubs are as well. McKinnon states we've got two trialists just now who played in a bounce match this week, both scored - so it's not like he's sitting on his thumbs.

Houston: "am no signing Heffernan, his legs have gone. I know what I'll do, I'll sign Lee Miller instead" :thumsup2

Are you saying that Miller 's legs have gone?

What I see is a guy that had become dissolutioned with the game after the death of his young wife. He started his career at Falkirk, still has something to offer and stated to a few people on Twitter directly that he would love to come back to the club.

Are you saying that Miller 's legs have gone?

Yes.

and stated to a few people on Twitter directly that he would love to come back to the club.

Smart man, he's without a club so pandering to the Falkirk faithful on Twitter seems the ideal solution.

Just interested to get your reasoning behind thinking he is done. Is it his age?

Purely speculation going by his recent outings at Killie, his goal scoring ratio in the last few years and the basis of a Killie season ticket holder at my work. Falkirk fans seem up in arms over the fact Houston has been aware for a long time that a striker was required and Falkirk fans seem to have this very high expectation level for their club that I'm surprised Miller can be seen as someone that can realistically let you reach the top 4 (if that's what the aim is). However is there any indication he's even signing for you guys. Last I heard he was put out in an U20 game during the week and Houston couldn't be bothered his arse to even go and watch him.

Just interested to get your reasoning behind thinking he is done. Is it his age?

Only started 9 games for Killie last season due to fitness/injury and was pretty awful when he did play. Has hawked himself about a number of teams in Scotland and yet is still struggling to get a game anywhere. If he does sign then he certainly is a long way from being Houstons first choice and is looking more and more like a last throw of the dice having missed out on everyone else.

Archived