St. Mirren vs Dumbarton

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a neutral, I'd like to see the minnows win this one, but would put good money on a St. Mirren victory. They might've lost the opening game, but should still comfortably finish in the top 3.

Bookies (Will Hill) have us at 2/5...almost no point in putting that on. The thing that is likely to go against us at the start of the season is that we have a new manager who is still learning how to utilise his squad properly. However, Dumbarton are in exactly the same boat and for that reason I think the team with the stronger squad will win (which should be us). Add to that the fact that our players will be wanting to make amends for last week's loss then we should be hungry for the win.

If we have any ambitions to make the top 3 then we need to be winning these types of games at home. St Mirren park hasn't been a particularly good hunting ground for us since we moved in, but Ian Murray has noticed the problem and addressed this - by changing dugouts from left to right (so obvious!).

I'm going to plump for a 2-0 win under glorious sunshine and an unfathomable amount of seagulls around the area.

Bookies (Will Hill) have us at 2/5...almost no point in putting that on. The thing that is likely to go against us at the start of the season is that we have a new manager who is still learning how to utilise his squad properly. However, Dumbarton are in exactly the same boat and for that reason I think the team with the stronger squad will win (which should be us). Add to that the fact that our players will be wanting to make amends for last week's loss then we should be hungry for the win.

If we have any ambitions to make the top 3 then we need to be winning these types of games at home. St Mirren park hasn't been a particularly good hunting ground for us since we moved in, but Ian Murray has noticed the problem and addressed this - by changing dugouts from left to right (so obvious!).

I'm going to plump for a 2-0 win under glorious sunshine and an unfathomable amount of seagulls around the area.

Shankland with one or both goals ;)

It's nice to see a fan base talking like adults about this game. Last season, and even last week, what we got was condescension from the big boys, and it's refreshing to read through this thread and see some reasonable comments from fans of one of the bigger 3.

I'll go for a 1-1 draw and be absolutely delighted if we win. One can but hope.

Really hope we can win this one to get our season started. Dumbarton will be on a high after last week and will be a very tough opponent. Can honestly see us struggling here.

A win in any form would do nicely!

It's nice to see a fan base talking like adults about this game. Last season, and even last week, what we got was condescension from the big boys, and it's refreshing to read through this thread and see some reasonable comments from fans of one of the bigger 3.

I'll go for a 1-1 draw and be absolutely delighted if we win. One can but hope.

Must admit I didn't think the Hibs fans on here were all that condescending with their comments. Twitter was awash with them however.

Nae offence intended here Buddies... but are St Mirren a bigger club that the likes of Falkirk? I've always seen them as similar in terms of fanbase etc. How do season tickets sales compare to Falkirk? Obviously if you are basing it on recent league positions St Mirren would be considered bigger but I'd tend to judge the size of a club based on it's fanbase. Quite often see this 'big 3' chat being peddled when I'd say Falkirk and St Mirren are similar sized clubs.

Must admit I didn't think the Hibs fans on here were all that condescending with their comments. Twitter was awash with them however.

Nae offence intended here Buddies... but are St Mirren a bigger club that the likes of Falkirk? I've always seen them as similar in terms of fanbase etc. How do season tickets sales compare to Falkirk? Obviously if you are basing it on recent league positions St Mirren would be considered bigger but I'd tend to judge the size of a club based on it's fanbase. Quite often see this 'big 3' chat being peddled when I'd say Falkirk and St Mirren are similar sized clubs.

You're probably right about Falkirk and St Mirren being similar sizes. I think that we're probably included in the 'big 3' and Falkirk aren't is because we've just been relegated, have a new manager and thus have some optimism around the club. Whereas it seems to be doom and gloom around the Falkirk camp after a relatively disappointing season - Scottish Cup aside. Whether these attitudes are justified remains to be seen...

Murray moving dugouts again. Next he'll be signing old pro's he's played or coached with, oh wait...

Wonder if we're a three at the back opponent?

You may well have hit the nail in the head!! I think you will be right #352

First post on here. Decent standard of debate! To any Dumbarton fans, would recommend Bankhouse pre match, be made more than welcome.

As for the game, any team that beats Hibs deserves respect. If we're going to compete this season, this is the kind of game we need to win. Predict a close game, with hopefully a narrow Saints win!

Crowd - 4,000

Full squad to choose from, Darren Barr available, personally, I'd stick with Andy Graham, as he was immense last week, goal apart, and i haven't quite, the same love for the guy as many sons fans have, but his attitude on Saturday to losing the captaincy was phenomenal, we have to start the same team, I would like to see a wee bit more of Miller to be honest, but hopefully in a substitute capacity, hopefully once we're winning tomorrow

Full squad to choose from for Aitken, Barr back after his knock that kept him out last week. will be interesting to see who he goes with. I think it's incredibly harsh to drop anyone after last week but I wonder again if pace could be our undoing at the back. Taggart was the only one with any pace in our back 4 last week and St Mirren look to have plenty of it. I wonder if Waters might be the better option at left back? I have a feeling Barr may come straight back in too, Graham had a good game last week but arguably played a part in the goal we lost. As I said, it would be harsh on him though.

We know Murray likes to play with a narrow midfield so I think our midfield 5, especially the centre 3 of Gallagher, Routledge and Fleming, could work well in stopping creative players like Agnew having too much time on the ball. Good few Buddies in my work feeling pretty optimistic and Murray will be very determined to get his first win against his old club.

As a side note, I see bet365 have us at 7/1 to win here. The same price we were last week...

There isn't much difference between Saints and Falkirk. We maybe just pip them on major trophies won but we have the same size of fan base and just about the same size of stadium. I think our ST sales are on par too.Both relying on their youth academies to produce the goods. I don't think there will be much between Queens,Falkirk and ourselves this season.

Nervous about tomorrow. I am pretty sure Ian Murray will have drilled it into the players this will not be a walk over. I don't know much about the opposition in this Division but St Mirren have never been good enough to just show up and win a game. The fans will need to be patient tomorrow and get behind the youngsters.

Full squad to choose from, Darren Barr available, personally, I'd stick with Andy Graham, as he was immense last week, goal apart, and i haven't quite, the same love for the guy as many sons fans have, but his attitude on Saturday to losing the captaincy was phenomenal, we have to start the same team, I would like to see a wee bit more of Miller to be honest, but hopefully in a substitute capacity, hopefully once we're winning tomorrow

Have you not shown yourself up to be a Rangers fan on that Scott Allen thread?

I have a few teams, Dumbarton, rangers, Scotland, Liverpool, real Madrid, and only one gets my money, Dumbarton always my first team

Certainly need to be optimistic supporting all of those teams ;):lol:

Seriously though.. Rangers AND Dumbarton? Surely Dumbarton should be your big team.

Archived