Scotland to ban GM Crop Growing

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-33833958

What do people make of this? Seems nuts on the face of it, given that very little of what we grow is natural anyway given the amount of pesticides and fertilisers used in agriculture these days. I can't imagine growing some GM crops here and there would've had that much of an impact on exports either.

This is fucking mental. Foreign countries aren't going to buy less whisky if Jura sources GM wheat. Aberdeen Angus sales aren't going to plummet because a field was planted with a special strain of pest resistent grass.

Words cannot describe either how ridiculous a decision this is or just how much more ridiculous Lochhead's justification is.

I have mixed feelings on this. I am a bit more relaxed on GM crops than say 15 years ago. But I wonder how much discussion there has been with farmers etc before this decision was made. Certainly quicker than the one on Fracking.

Still another cane (organic) with which to attack the Government.

This is fucking mental. Foreign countries aren't going to buy less whisky if Jura sources GM wheat. Aberdeen Angus sales aren't going to plummet because a field was planted with a special strain of pest resistent grass.

Words cannot describe either how ridiculous a decision this is or just how much more ridiculous Lochhead's justification is.

I agree with this.

I'm a huge SNP fan boy, but this does seem a slightly strange decision.

As previously said, I hope there is good science behind this decision as well as consultation with farmers.

I really do like my Aryan broccoli.

Not knowing much about the pros and cons of Gmail,I've tried to read a bit today to find out more.

I'm still none the wiser. There doesn't seem to be any middle ground it's either the best /worst thing ever depending on what you read.

Not knowing much about the pros and cons of Gmail,I've tried to read a bit today to find out more.

I'm still none the wiser. There doesn't seem to be any middle ground it's either the best /worst thing ever depending on what you read.

Genetically Modified spelling Imo.

Archived