Really pitiful trolling by Arbroath fans on this thread.

How big was the crowd at your crumbling shitheap for that Shire game just before Lumsden was sacked?

That's how "massive" a club Arbroath really are. A home support chock full of girning stays ways at the first sign of bother.

:lol:

Gutted that Arbroaths worst season in 20 years will still see them finish higher than Montrose.

Pleasing.

Eta: after looking it was STILL near 100 more than Montroses last Tuesday night game against Annan. Oh my.

• Replies 738
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How big was the crowd at your crumbling shitheap for that Shire game just before Lumsden was sacked?

That's how "massive" a club Arbroath really are. A home support chock full of girning stays ways at the first sign of bother.

Wow Iwo.

Are things so bad up Links Park way that you're resorting to a pitiful crowd w**k?

I thought more of you than that.

Considering how poor a season we've had, it's actually remarkable how good our crowds have been.

I would also add it's been good to see that on the back of last season, the Mo's average home gate seems to be a good 150 odd better than last year.

There's nothing wrong with a playoff for a few years. Walk before you can run. Last seasons run away winners of the highland league couldn't manager to dispose of Montrose who were awful last season. Give it a few years then open it up a bit further.

Brora's main financial backer didn't want them to get promotion. Join the dots from there.

the money getting pumped into some highland sides definitely gives them a competitive advantage against many league 2 sides and in a one-off cup tie anything is possible. saying that ross county and caley thistle did start in league 2 or division 3 in old money.

All new clubs start in tier four... ;)

:lol:

Gutted that Arbroaths worst season in 20 years will still see them finish higher than Montrose.

Pleasing.

Eta: after looking it was STILL near 100 more than Montroses last Tuesday night game against Annan. Oh my.

*salivating at the propsect of maybe finishing 8th*

:1eye

Considering how poor a season we've had, it's actually remarkable how good our crowds have been.

I would also add it's been good to see that on the back of last season, the Mo's average home gate seems to be a good 150 odd better than last year.

yep crowds had a real bounce from that.

we'll see if it holds up in the season to come. There were around 60 Montrose fans there for a no-hoper game in Methil in Saturday; there were, generously, about 15 there for the same fixture towards the end of the George Shields "era".

if improved numbers are to continue then the club will have to step up and actually improve. There have been better signs this season but still we're 9th and only clear of bother because Shire have been so awful this term.

an important two - three seasons ahead for the club. If we can start challenging at the right end of the table these bigger crowds will stick. If it's more of the same bottom four-nothing-to-play-for-after-February pish of the last few years then they will drift away pretty fast again.

an important two - three seasons ahead for the club. If we can start challenging at the right end of the table these bigger crowds will stick. If it's more of the same bottom four-nothing-to-play-for-after-February pish of the last few years then they will drift away pretty fast again.

Surely the big point here is that if you remain at that level for another 4-5 seasons or so, relegation is inevitable and the crowds will dive even further?

Aye some fans of clubs in league 2 need to wake up and smell the coffee.The playoffs are here,and very much here to stay. Both leagues north and south produce a full fixture list at the start of the season,most are licensed and only a few haven't floodlights,it's not the juniors. I feel once a few SPFL teams have been relegated the trapdoor will open up and their will be straight relegation for the bottom side.I'm heading up to Turriff v Cove on Saturday,will gauge how good Cove are playing a decent side.

I think the vast majority of fans of L2 clubs are in favour of the play-offs. It's natural that a few of the clubs around the bottom are a bit jumpy about it as, for a while at least, dropping out of the top 4 leagues is going to seem like a grim prospect. Once there's a bit of churn, teams have come up and gone down and vice versa and fans of current league clubs realise it isn't the death knell it can seem like, I reckon we'll see an automatic spot open up and people being more comfortable about it.

My preference would be to switch to 3 leagues of 16, promote the top 3 in the HL and LL and then have two automatic promotion/relegation spots with the HL and LL champions coming up automatically.

I think the vast majority of fans of L2 clubs are in favour of the play-offs. It's natural that a few of the clubs around the bottom are a bit jumpy about it as, for a while at least, dropping out of the top 4 leagues is going to seem like a grim prospect. Once there's a bit of churn, teams have come up and gone down and vice versa and fans of current league clubs realise it isn't the death knell it can seem like, I reckon we'll see an automatic spot open up and people being more comfortable about it.

My preference would be to switch to 3 leagues of 16, promote the top 3 in the HL and LL and then have two automatic promotion/relegation spots with the HL and LL champions coming up automatically.

Sounds good gordon,would defo be in favour of that set up!!

Och away and not be so precious, you lot must have made a few quid off the Brora game, and still an appallingly run club, gained a whole one place since last season, way to go there, chump

Gordon, I'm not unhappy with that idea, but what happens if (for example) in year 1 Mo go down, the following year it's Brechin, then Arbroath and in year 4 it's Forfar.............the LL have a hard enough task in finding enough teams to make a decent League as it is, without losing their best four. I know it's a very unlikely scenario, but my point is that over a period of time, the regional nature of the trapdoor will lead to a geographical imbalance where you'll either have the southern-most Highland League teams being made to play in the LL, or the most northern LL teams having to play in the HL. In fact, and I can't remember how (if at all) this was ever explained by Neil Doncaster, will you have the absurd possibility that there will be some centrally based clubs who will yo-yo between the two leagues to maintain a numerical balance?

Also, with only 30 league games, please tell me that you're not proposing that we bring back the abomination of a Spring Cup type of tournament!

Gordon, I'm not unhappy with that idea, but what happens if (for example) in year 1 Mo go down, the following year it's Brechin, then Arbroath and in year 4 it's Forfar.............the LL have a hard enough task in finding enough teams to make a decent League as it is, without losing their best four. I know it's a very unlikely scenario, but my point is that over a period of time, the regional nature of the trapdoor will lead to a geographical imbalance where you'll either have the southern-most Highland League teams being made to play in the LL, or the most northern LL teams having to play in the HL. In fact, and I can't remember how (if at all) this was ever explained by Neil Doncaster, will you have the absurd possibility that there will be some centrally based clubs who will yo-yo between the two leagues to maintain a numerical balance?

Also, with only 30 league games, please tell me that you're not proposing that we bring back the abomination of a Spring Cup type of tournament!

For the number of games, I wouldn't be against having a split after 30 games into top 8 and bottom 8, with 7 more games. Finish in the top 4 of the top 8 and you get 4 more home games and 3 away etc. It has niggles but I think all proposals do.

The same problem exists with the current system, it would just take longer to develop. Like you say, it's incredibly unlikely that teams north of the tay would continually be relegated and teams south of it would continually be promoted (and stay up).

I would hope that after enough years where something like that could be a problem, the number of teams in the LL would be enough to absorb a few promotions with no relegations.

I also don't particularly see the problem with changing boundaries. It's what happens in England and their pyramid generally works well. If we got into some weird situation where the HL was full of Angus teams and the LL was heavily depleted, I don't see why the border shouldn't be moved up to include Angus in the LL. It wouldn't make the journeys facing the Angus teams much worse.

It wouldn't be anything to do with Doncaster anyway, he doesn't run HL & LL...

Btw - if a club is south of the Tay it goes to LL, if it is north of the Tay it goes to HL. Accordingly no "yo-yoing", either.

If a club is in Perth,they could go between the two leagues

While a depleted LL and a bloated HL is possible the reality is that you'd probably see the same half dozen clubs every year pissin about at the top of those leagues and the bottom of the sfl2 bar the odd exception.

You have to have the play-off place for now because it's the only thing they could get pushed through. Obviously if you finish bottom of the league you deserve to be relegated though and the fact that you only have to win one two-legged tie to stay up is clearly a flawed system. However, it's the best we can have at the moment.

Archived