• Replies 738
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Updated for recent weeks.

Incredible title race in HL, and potentially in LL if Stirling can win their games in hand. Nerves jangling afoot SPFL2.

SPFL2 (36 games):

Pl W D L GD Pts.

6 Clyde 22 10 3 9 +6 33

7 Montrose 26 9 5 12 -14 32

8 Arbroath 24 9 4 11 +1 31

9 Berwick 24 7 4 13 -16 25

-----------------------------------

10 East Stir 23 8 2 14 -20 23

HL (34 games):

Pl W D L GD Pts.

1 Brora 26 22 1 3 +81 67

-------------------------------------

2 Cove 24 20 1 3 +45 61

3 Formartine 24 19 3 2 +78 60

4 Turriff 24 16 4 4 +51 52

5 Inverurie 27 16 1 10 +29 49

6 Nairn 25 15 1 9 +17 46

LL (28 games):

Pl W D L GD Pts.

1 Edin City 21 18 0 3 +36 54

------------------------------------

2 Spartans 18 11 3 4 +29 36

3 Stir Uni 16 11 3 2 +21 36

4 Cumbern'd 19 9 4 6 +7 31

5 East Kilb 19 8 6 5 +10 30

6 Edin Univ 21 8 3 10 -1 27

7 Whitehill 14 8 1 5 +10 25

In other news,looks like the SHFL may be splitting into two leagues from possibly as quick as next season or the one after,reason too many games being squeezed in to accommodate the playoffs.Talking of playing a 27 game league campaign,playing teams 3 times a season.Would make it a pretty competitive top ten for anyone falling out of league 2 who happen to be north of the Tay to play in.Aberdeen junior side Banks o Dee are being invited in making a league of ten and one of nine,maybe the indifference in league numbers is to allow eventually for a relegated team from league 2.

In other news,looks like the SHFL may be splitting into two leagues from possibly as quick as next season or the one after,reason too many games being squeezed in to accommodate the playoffs.

Tbf, it sounds more complicated than that?

According to reports, earlier in the season HL clubs voted 9-8 in favour (with the absent club against but not allowed to vote by proxy) of splitting into 2 divisions of 10 in the event the membership exceeded 18 clubs. It was then reported that moves were afoot, in light of the narrow support, to increase the threshold to 20 clubs.

From what is being stated on FitbaNorth, it seems a new plan is now being pushed by Aberdeenshire clubs to split into 2 divisions regardless, on grounds of finance and competitiveness - as things stand they could actually drop to 17 clubs next season, given Berwick/East Stirlingshire currently 9th & 10th.

It all sounds very complicated, tbh.

I've asked on FN what the voting situation is... if there is no 'supermajority', then obviously 10 clubs can vote for a HL Premier Division of 10 clubs, winning the vote 10-8.

LL outstanding fixtures confirmed to the end of the season, here are the run-ins for the 2 realistic title contenders:

Edinburgh City - P21, 54pts
Sat 27 Feb ...... BSC Glasgow (H)
Sat 05 Mar ...... East Kilbride (A) (SCC QF)
Sat 12 Mar ...... East Kilbride (H)
Sat 19 Mar ...... Gretna 2008 (A)
Sat 26 Mar ...... Selkirk (A)
Sat 02 Apr ...... (SCC SF)
- Wed 06 Apr ... Vale of Leithen (A)
Sat 09 Apr ...... Stirling Uni (H)
Sat 16 Apr ...... Whitehill Wel (A)

Stirling University - P16, 36pts
Sat 27 Feb ...... Vale of Leithen (H)
Sat 05 Mar ...... Cumbernauld Col (A)
- Tue 08 Mar ... Gala FR (H)
Sat 12 Mar ...... Spartans (A)
Sat 19 Mar ...... Threave Rovers (A)
- Wed 23 Mar ... BSC Glasgow (H)
Sat 26 Mar ...... BSC Glasgow (A)
- Wed 30 Mar ... Whitehill Wel (A)
Sat 02 Apr ...... Preston Athletic (A)
- Tue 05 Apr ... Selkirk (A)
Sat 09 Apr ...... Edinburgh City (A)
Sat 16 Apr ...... Dalbeattie Star (H)

HL not out yet.

Re HL/LL playoffs I hope it's not Brora from the Highland League again this year, looks like a 3 horse race with Cove Rangers and Formantine both in with more than a shout. In the Lowland League can't see past Edinburgh City even though Stirling Univ have a number of games in hand.

What are the odds to another Brora/Edinburgh City this year, must be getting smaller. Also who is favourite for the wooden spoon in League 2 looks between the Shire and Berwick both neck and neck so far, or is their a surprise team waiting in the wings to snatch the wooden spoon away from both of them. Time as they say will tell.

SPFL2 particularly still looks pretty open.

Tables by "points-per-game":

SPFL2

6 Stirl Alb 1.40

7 Arbroath 1.28

8 Montrose 1.23

9 Berwick 1.04

10 East Stir 1.00

HL:

1 Brora 2.56

2 Cove 2.54

3 Formartine 2.50

LL:

1 Edin City 2.57

2 Stirl Uni 2.25

Tables by "points dropped":

SPFL2:

6 Stirl Alb 40pts

7 Arbroath 43pts

8 Montrose 46pts

9 East Stir 48pts

10 Berwick 49pts

HL:

1 Brora 11pts

= Cove 11pts

3 Formartine 12pts

LL:

1 Edin City 9pts

2 Stirl Uni 12pts

Was having a debate over how many points you'd need to be safe in SFL2 at the weekend - consensus seemed to be 40 would do the trick, however 37/38 might just be enough. Big two games next for us, anyway: fairly confident if we win both or get 4/6 we'll be alright.

Big chance of there being 24 Angus league derbies next season, the most ever.

Last time all four Angus clubs were in the same league was 1992/93, and under the old 10-14-14 format they only played each other 3 times, giving 18 Angus derbies.

It also happened in 80/81, 81/82 and 82/83, and plenty times before 1975 in the two league system.

Re HL/LL playoffs I hope it's not Brora from the Highland League again this year, looks like a 3 horse race with Cove Rangers and Formantine both in with more than a shout. In the Lowland League can't see past Edinburgh City even though Stirling Univ have a number of games in hand.

What are the odds to another Brora/Edinburgh City this year, must be getting smaller. Also who is favourite for the wooden spoon in League 2 looks between the Shire and Berwick both neck and neck so far, or is their a surprise team waiting in the wings to snatch the wooden spoon away from both of them. Time as they say will tell.

I'm afraid it probably will be Brora so sorry to disappoint you. Easily the best equipped and run club of the three at the head of the HL. The HL side will in the main come out on top of LL in play-off.

Despite Brora being no bigger than a village, I believe they can consolidate their position in the SPFL if they make it into the play off with team 42, who by rights should not really get another chance to get out of jail x 2

Brora are away to Formartine in the HL Cup on Saturday and psychologically if Brora win, then Formartine's confidence will be shot to f**k.

Cove are a groundless team of tinkers, despised wherever they park their caravan and contribute jack s**t to the league, so beware SPFL if they sneak into the pyramid playoffs.

As to the trapdoor auditorium attendee, then step forward Montrose and this time there will be no marvellous Marvin to rescue the cause.

Brora to win Highland League

Edinburgh City to win Lowland League

Brora to win both legs of play-off against Montrose

Montrose to join Highland League.

I can understand why there might be a few squeaky bums at Links Park but I reckon Montrose have more than enough about them to steer clear of the play-offs this season. Of the 3 bottom clubs they seem to have improved the most in January and have had some decent results lately.

I reckon Shire will finish bottom. Surely the bottom L2 can't survive again?

I'm afraid it probably will be Brora so sorry to disappoint you. Easily the best equipped and run club of the three at the head of the HL. The HL side will in the main come out on top of LL in play-off.

Despite Brora being no bigger than a village, I believe they can consolidate their position in the SPFL if they make it into the play off with team 42, who by rights should not really get another chance to get out of jail x 2

Brora are away to Formartine in the HL Cup on Saturday and psychologically if Brora win, then Formartine's confidence will be shot to f**k.

Cove are a groundless team of tinkers, despised wherever they park their caravan and contribute jack s**t to the league, so beware SPFL if they sneak into the pyramid playoffs.

As to the trapdoor auditorium attendee, then step forward Montrose and this time there will be no marvellous Marvin to rescue the cause.

Brora to win Highland League

Edinburgh City to win Lowland League

Brora to win both legs of play-off against Montrose

Montrose to join Highland League.

Don't think Montrose will finish bottom again this year, of the 2 favourites if you can call them that, I think the Shire could be the team to face Brora if it all comes to pass and if it is Brora then it's goodbye the Shire to the Lowland League I'm afraid imo.

Archived