The North Regional Thread 2015/16

CityDave

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Question......Why is there such little interest on these pages for the North East Junior scene? Its the same with Amateurs. Obviously down south there is a larger chunk of the population and more clubs etc, perhaps maybe people are just sensible and keep it off here, but in general you never see this region talking much, stays quiet mostly. Anyone got any ideas as to why that may be the case?

Question......Why is there such little interest on these pages for the North East Junior scene? Its the same with Amateurs. Obviously down south there is a larger chunk of the population and more clubs etc, perhaps maybe people are just sensible and keep it off here, but in general you never see this region talking much, stays quiet mostly. Anyone got any ideas as to why that may be the case?

Because the primary forum the North Juniors community uses is FitbaNorth.

Same reason why there's not much in the Highland League section of P&B.

However there are no score updates on fitbanorth Phil

Very little on the juniors twitter stuff either.

I suppose it really is one man and his dug with a "whits the internet" attitude.

No North team still in the GA makes it looks like standards are slipping, if that's actually possible.

I think it just proves my personal view that its still very insular and a closed shop mentality, especially with the Juniors. It is a shame as I grew up watching my Dad play Juniors in Aberdeen and the scene was thriving but its just not the same anymore. It is the same in terms of the local coverage, the Aberdeen Newspapers seem to offer minimal coverage of local football yet in other parts of the country its the opposite.

I think it just proves my personal view that its still very insular and a closed shop mentality, especially with the Juniors. It is a shame as I grew up watching my Dad play Juniors in Aberdeen and the scene was thriving but its just not the same anymore. It is the same in terms of the local coverage, the Aberdeen Newspapers seem to offer minimal coverage of local football yet in other parts of the country its the opposite.

Highland League is king up here. Especially since the main newspaper the Press & Journal is now the HFL's principal sponsor so of course they wish to (over)concentrate on 'their' league.

I totally get that Phil and can understand why but it's still a shame that there is very little recognition for any Minor level of Football below the HL, I remember when you used to still get the Green Final and you would get the match reports from Junior, Amateur, Juvenile and even Schools matches from the SAME day, this before the advent of the Internet. It was the highlight of our week playing Juveniles if our game or school game happened to be covered that day, just not the same anymore which is a shame....It is a shame as well because I think in general there is a lack of interest in talking up these levels in this area and that, along with a few other things is why the area generally suffers in national/regional competitions on a wider scale......

• 4 weeks later...

Fightback begins for Inverness City.. Basically they got kicked off the Northern Meeting Ground because some cricketers want to play a few matches in the summer, banned from the Shinty ground because they need a pristine surface too, so got offered a bit of Bught Park if they spent tens of thousands to fence it off, build facilities and maintain it. The Council is happy to let the Park Run trample through the spectator areas so although the pitch is well maintained where I used to stand is a bog. Now the council has said they'll be evicted next year, as per the lease admittedly, but they have no plans what to do with the pitch when City leave. The council is seemingly more concentrated on something Sneckie folk have been terribly deprived of for all their lives, a velodrome.

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/inverness/890210/councillor-calls-for-u-turn-to-save-inverness-city-fc/

• 1 month later...

Parkvale and Stoneywood to merge (https://twitter.com/parkvalejuniors/status/736218910203236354), new club called Stoneywood Parkvale and will play out of Clark Commercial Park.

Rumours on Fitba North that Bridge of Don Thistle are renaming themselves (again) to Newburgh Thistle. Given that they took out a ten year groundshare with Newburgh Thistle Amateurs, presumably this is merger too.

Parkvale and Stoneywood to merge (https://twitter.com/parkvalejuniors/status/736218910203236354), new club called Stoneywood Parkvale and will play out of Clark Commercial Park.

Rumours on Fitba North that Bridge of Don Thistle are renaming themselves (again) to Newburgh Thistle. Given that they took out a ten year groundshare with Newburgh Thistle Amateurs, presumably this is merger too.

Wilson's XI

Hillhead

Bridge of Don Thistle

Newburgh Thistle

Give it a few more spins and they'll be able to have a full league table of former names!

The McLeman Cup Final is supposed to be on today in Buckie between Banks o Dee and Inverness City at 1pm, but McBookie have just cancelled betting on it. Not sure if that means anything.

Sad news about Parkvale, my Dad played for them over 2 spells and always enjoyed his time there, back in the day where it was all about the Football and not the money of course!! Guess it is the price of progress and sees 2 big names try to move forward but will still be sad.

Keep hoping that one day we will see Sunnybank get it right and get back into the top league as well as Lewis Utd, East End and this new Club, Aberdeen City needs to have strong Junior Clubs fighting at the right end again with Banks O'Dee, Hermes, Dyce and Culter

The McLeman Cup Final is supposed to be on today in Buckie between Banks o Dee and Inverness City at 1pm, but McBookie have just cancelled betting on it. Not sure if that means anything.

Banks o' Dee won 3-0

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I know there is Fitba North but I am amazed by the severe lack of local interest in Aberdeen especially for Junior Football especially. It is a shame as the local scene in Aberdeen at all levels, as I said above always seemed to thrive in the past, now it would appear that no one seems to care anymore?

Who do people feel will win the respective leagues? Promotions/Relegations?

As for the "Pub League" section, think some in Glasgow need to remember that there are less people in the North etc, also the fact we have League Clubs, The HL, Juniors, Amateurs, Juveniles all competing in a region with less people but things like that perhaps overlooked...........

Archived