League Cup Group Stage Could Return Next Summer

Eednud

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have several questions regarding the new idea.

1- when would a manager have to start pre season training to be match fit for what Is supposedly a major competition?

2- How much extra will this cost in player wages?

3- When does the management get the chance to experiment with team set up and look at unregistered players and or trialists?

All of the above for me thinks this is a stupid idea. I am all for summer football but you can't go half added at it. The full structure should change but because if two clubs it never will.

Lower league clubs matches , lowland and highland leagues and junior if required should be played at different times to try to increase crowds.

Have we got any other takers for completely not getting the concept of loose regionalisation?

How loose is it. Obvious things like Stranraer, QOS, Berwick and Annan can't be in groups with Ross County, ICT, Aberdeen, Peterhead and Elgin are achievable.

But who fills out the two groups seeded with ICT and County? Does that burden fall on the same few teams like Forfar and Montrose who would prefer to be in a group St Johnstone or the Dundee clubs. And even those 4 teams wouldn't be enough to fill two groups so next closest are the teams in Fife and around Stirling.

And when 6 hour midweek roundtrips are a part of a regional group the term "regional" is so loose it becomes meaningless.

Only real criticism is the seeding element. A free for all every season would be far more exciting.

Apart from that, nice to see something different.

Hopefully this is a part of the competition Aberdeen never have to worry about anyway :)

How loose is it. Obvious things like Stranraer, QOS, Berwick and Annan can't be in groups with Ross County, ICT, Aberdeen, Peterhead and Elgin are achievable.

But who fills out the two groups seeded with ICT and County? Does that burden fall on the same few teams like Forfar and Montrose who would prefer to be in a group St Johnstone or the Dundee clubs. And even those 4 teams wouldn't be enough to fill two groups so next closest are the teams in Fife and around Stirling.

And when 6 hour midweek roundtrips are a part of a regional group the term "regional" is so loose it becomes meaningless.

Basically two "regions". So no ICT v Annan but yes you might get Arbroath v Ross county or Dumbarton v Berwick.

It's basically to stop the most extreme examples.

Remember it from the last time we had it - fucking terrible.

Very much this! There is a very good reason why groups were scrapped.

Crowds were abysmal and will be again ( after a possible wee flurry of enthusiasm )

I actually can't find anything official re seeding or regionalisation

Has this been confirmed?

There is no plan because the SPFL board have just announced this without making all the details clear. There is a whole section in the current Rules of The SPFL about the League Cup that documents the draw procedure and seedings. They haven't produced a similar document which make the changes clear.

The current SPFL Board is made up of Neil Doncaster (CEO), Ralph Topping (Chairman), Eric Riley (Celtic), Stephen Thompson (Dundee United), Duncan Fraser (Aberdeen), Eric Drysdale (Raith Rovers), Mike Mulraney (Alloa Athletic) and Ken Ferguson (Brechin City).

These clubs in particular have always been quick to criticise a lack of clarity and professionalism in the administation of the game but have a announced a half finished plan while leaving Member Clubs in the dark.

Of course they've sneakily slipped in the 'winter break' which I doubt the majority of fans are for. Is it 4 international breaks we already have? If so that'll be 6 Saturdays with no top league football during the season, maybe 7 if Celtic fix up another money spinning friendly. Great thinking.

I dont know why theyr so keen on regions for this. Its in july ffs! As has been said before you cant predict bad weather in scotland but you can be absolutely sure its going to be light untill after 10pm in july and dark at 4pm in january. Regardless of the weather if theres a time to be doing long distance away games its the summer. If theres a time to have a wee break its january

Would have preferred a rugby world cup style 'bonus point', something like an extra point for scoring 3 goals or more. Regardless if you win the game or not you get the extra point. Would add extra excitement and encourage attacking play, which fans and the new TV audience and would appreciate. The penalty bonus point is naff, a lottery and will reward 0-0 with potentially 2 points.

274 at Dumbarton-Alloa tonight. If that was game 3 and both had lost their first two, that would look like a good turn out. Even if it's taps aff weather, a tenner for that would be a waste of money.

I think that's why they need to do something like allow the following 16 teams to qualify for a revamped Challenge Cup, i.e. if qualification for the next round of the League Cup slips away quickly you can then essentially move on to trying to qualifying for the next round of the Challenge Cup.

I think that's why they need to do something like allow the following 16 teams to qualify for a revamped Challenge Cup, i.e. if qualification for the next round of the League Cup slips away quickly you can then essentially move on to trying to qualifying for the next round of the Challenge Cup.

Solid shout that. Essentially making the challenge cup the UEFA cup equivalent to the league cup's champions league

Would have preferred a rugby world cup style 'bonus point', something like an extra point for scoring 3 goals or more. Regardless if you win the game or not you get the extra point. Would add extra excitement and encourage attacking play, which fans and the new TV audience and would appreciate. The penalty bonus point is naff, a lottery and will reward 0-0 with potentially 2 points.

That's a much better idea than the proposal outlined yesterday.

Awful idea... In football terms it's bad enough that the chances of progressing in LC are now so low for small clubs, let alone restricting CC to 16 out of 40... Those clubs which finished 4th / 5th would get no cup-tie football whatsoever all season, except the Scottish Cup. Madness. Leave the CC alone.

Archived