Qos v Morton

QosLoyal

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Given how we have played since the Dumbarton game, it would appear that we have a team that is at least competitive with the teams we need to be competitive with. I was thinking that those were the likely bottom four (make your own selections here!) but now I am thinking every team apart from Hibs and Rangers. The only negative/worry is that we need to score more goals and we really need to find a striker before the window closes.

I think a lot of Morton fans are surprised by the team and a few players should be rising in their estimation. Lee "never a footballer" Kilday was a star man last night and has been solid all season. We are making things happen by getting into the faces of the opposition and making them hurry passes and make mistakes. Stef McCluskey epitomises that. He is not the best footballer but he often makes up for his deficiencies through his work rate. He, Bobby Barr and Denny Johnstone worried the life out of Queens defence all night and all we were missing was a poacher to pick up the scraps they were forcing.

Maybe also, Jim Duffy could get a wee bit of credit. People go on about the team that barely scraped home in League 1 last season but that team was vastly improved after the turn of the year winning 41 of their 69 points from January on and six of the last seven games. For the most part, last season's was a brand new team and that it took the first half of the year to settle is no surprise. Duffy deserves credit for getting us up at the first attempt which is not easy. Ask Dunfermline! Also, have a look at the obvious team spirit and the much improved defensive organisation and that again is credit to Duffy.

This season, our primary aim is to consolidate our position in the championship and hopefully kick on next season. Performances so far suggest we can do that especially given that we have the likes of Tidser, Russell, Gasparotto, and Gaston coming back to full fitness. Find another striker and we might have decent season.

Right, I'm fed up with all this optimistic nonsense - we're Morton fans, we do pessimism and seethe. That's who we are.

On a serious note, whilst it's a very pleasant surprise to have a couple of points on the board and a good result in the cup, we've still got a long, long way to go before anyone should credit anyone else. I implore anyone suggesting an improved final position to consider Err United's many, many strong starts and subsequent absolute collapses. It's been better than expected so far aye, but come on - let's simmer until we actually win a league match eh?

Inconclusive for me going by that angle. It looks clearly over in the picture, but if we were in line I'd assume there is still a bit hanging on the line so it's probably not fully over. We didn't deserve a goal anyway, but you can bet your last pound that had that been a decision against The Rangers then that very photo would be on the back page :lol: We were awarded a goal extremely similar to this against Annan so it's swings and roundabouts really.

Why does the whole ball have to be over? Would it not make the officials' job easier if the rule was that only part of the ball has to be over?

Inconclusive for me going by that angle. It looks clearly over in the picture, but if we were in line I'd assume there is still a bit hanging on the line so it's probably not fully over. We didn't deserve a goal anyway, but you can bet your last pound that had that been a decision against The Rangers then that very photo would be on the back page :lol: We were awarded a goal extremely similar to this against Annan so it's swings and roundabouts really.

Why does the whole ball have to be over? Would it not make the officials' job easier if the rule was that only part of the ball has to be over?

That's a fair point.

If the ball is on the line, it's not a goal.

If a player is scythed down on the penalty box line, it's a penalty.

Do we need to seek the proverbial clarification?

Given how we have played since the Dumbarton game, it would appear that we have a team that is at least competitive with the teams we need to be competitive with. I was thinking that those were the likely bottom four (make your own selections here!) but now I am thinking every team apart from Hibs and Rangers. The only negative/worry is that we need to score more goals and we really need to find a striker before the window closes.

I think a lot of Morton fans are surprised by the team and a few players should be rising in their estimation. Lee "never a footballer" Kilday was a star man last night and has been solid all season. We are making things happen by getting into the faces of the opposition and making them hurry passes and make mistakes. Stef McCluskey epitomises that. He is not the best footballer but he often makes up for his deficiencies through his work rate. He, Bobby Barr and Denny Johnstone worried the life out of Queens defence all night and all we were missing was a poacher to pick up the scraps they were forcing.

Maybe also, Jim Duffy could get a wee bit of credit. People go on about the team that barely scraped home in League 1 last season but that team was vastly improved after the turn of the year winning 41 of their 69 points from January on and six of the last seven games. For the most part, last season's was a brand new team and that it took the first half of the year to settle is no surprise. Duffy deserves credit for getting us up at the first attempt which is not easy. Ask Dunfermline! Also, have a look at the obvious team spirit and the much improved defensive organisation and that again is credit to Duffy.

This season, our primary aim is to consolidate our position in the championship and hopefully kick on next season. Performances so far suggest we can do that especially given that we have the likes of Tidser, Russell, Gasparotto, and Gaston coming back to full fitness. Find another striker and we might have decent season.

Duffy has been given plenty credit in the past few weeks, as have players like Kilday (who has actually looked a better player having stepped up a level). How much Stef makes up for his "deficiencies" is debatable though. I do love his work rate but he's going to have to do better in the final third if we want to "kick on" going forward.

We did scrape up from League One last season - it took a comeback against 10 men in the last game of the season to do so. Stenny and/or Ayr should have finished off our title chances in either one of those absolutely dismal displays. But was Duffy did get quite a bit of credit for last season was the team spirit. The obvious worry was that team spirit alone wouldn't be enough, and it has been surprising that players like Kilday and Lamie are playing some of their best stuff after moving up a level.

Credit where it's due though, we have a team that seem enthusiastic about what they're doing. And they seem like they want to work hard to achieve something. If we do achieve something this season then Duffy will deserve an awful lot of credit. I will wait till we actually win a league game to start getting carried away though. I seem to remember people getting carried away two years ago about a midfield with McKee and Hands before a proper ball was kicked...

Credit where it's due though, we have a team that seem enthusiastic about what they're doing. And they seem like they want to work hard to achieve something. If we do achieve something this season then Duffy will deserve an awful lot of credit. I will wait till we actually win a league game to start getting carried away though. I seem to remember people getting carried away two years ago about a midfield with McKee and Hands before a proper ball was kicked...

Cham, Cham will tear you apart, again...

Is that a statement of the club's targets from the boardroom or personal opinion, Nick?

Duffy has been given plenty credit in the past few weeks, as have players like Kilday (who has actually looked a better player having stepped up a level). How much Stef makes up for his "deficiencies" is debatable though. I do love his work rate but he's going to have to do better in the final third if we want to "kick on" going forward.

We did scrape up from League One last season - it took a comeback against 10 men in the last game of the season to do so. Stenny and/or Ayr should have finished off our title chances in either one of those absolutely dismal displays. But was Duffy did get quite a bit of credit for last season was the team spirit. The obvious worry was that team spirit alone wouldn't be enough, and it has been surprising that players like Kilday and Lamie are playing some of their best stuff after moving up a level.

That's all fair comment, can't disagree with anything you've said.

Re McCluskey, it's fair to say that he hasn't had the best of starts to the season in terms of his impact on games. All too often his last touch has gone astray or has given possession away, especially, as you said, in the final third. He does get through a lot of work in the course of a game though, and is often responsible for breaking up opposition moves. Not the most gifted player in the league, but has a decent first touch and is a hard worker like the rest of the squad, and given a couple of telling contributions to give him a bit more confidence I think he could yet be a useful player for us this season.

Archived