SLFL East and West

inthepink

Before I start this long winded post I want everyone know that I am a keen supporter of a pyramid system, however flawed it may be AT THE MOMENT.

My major gripe however with the pyramid at the minute is with the, tier below the Lowland League, East of Scotland and South of Scotland leagues.

The two leagues are dying for me and with a poor standard overall, on and off the field, are these really the leagues we want feeding into the LL?

Now I know that with the juniors stubborn stance on the pyramid, poor crowd figures, etc. it could be hard to attract them to the EoS or SoS and in many ways I can understand why. But my opinion on the matter is the SFA and SLFL should take the initiative and control the tier below the LL aswell. By doing this the clubs chosen into the new leagues (LL East and West) will be clubs who have taken the initial steps to gaining the Entry level and also show true ambition to climbing the pyramid.

The East and West leagues could be filled with teams who have the early stages of the entry level done and plan on building on that, teams who were knocked back from entering the LL (i.e Coldstream and Duns) and any other clubs out with the EoS and SoS who want to make more of a go in it. Another benefit of course would be the closer working relationship the LL would have with the LL EAST and LL WEST.

An argument you might make is why not just take control of the EoS and SOS league and do this but I think both them leagues are too far declined for any club out with them leagues to really want to go for it. So that's why I feel a new league with fresh ideas could be more beneficial for the LL and the pyramid as a whole.

Thoughts?

youve got a number of good points. the problem will always be that there has got to be a cutoff point where clubs can optout and this is not possible for HL and LL clubs since they are comitted to promotion if they win there leagues. there should be three leagues below the LL in the east west and south and the LL has responsibility to ensure south and east remain or becume strong and a new west league is created but these league must be able to choose if they take prommotion and they must not need to me sfa members.

youve got a number of good points. the problem will always be that there has got to be a cutoff point where clubs can optout and this is not possible for HL and LL clubs since they are comitted to promotion if they win there leagues. there should be three leagues below the LL in the east west and south and the LL has responsibility to ensure south and east remain or becume strong and a new west league is created but these league must be able to choose if they take prommotion and they must not need to me sfa members.

Why are three needed? Any West of Scotland club can fit easily into the SoS League as it is. The maximum journey is two hours at most.

Why are three needed? Any West of Scotland club can fit easily into the SoS League as it is. The maximum journey is two hours at most.

Because as the OP states, it's the stigma attached to those leagues and their perceived level that may be causing some teams to sit tight rather than move across. A rebranding with new teams from the outset of this process would be more successful IMO

Because as the OP states, it's the stigma attached to those leagues and their perceived level that may be causing some teams to sit tight rather than move across. A rebranding with new teams from the outset of this process would be more successful IMO

Exactly that.

if you joined the EoS you'd be coming up against reserve teams and in the SoS you'd play an academy and teams who are less than competitive. I just wouldn't find that very appealing, so can't blame teams outside of senior football for not making the jump.

There's 15 teams in LL now. With the eosfl and sosfl clubs (2 you've mentioned) plus a few others is there a chance of a LL 2 and expanding the pyramid further. Maybes 2 Leagues of 12 ??

Just seen this reply. It could possibly make sense to do this, especially has the idea was floated about for the highland league. Keeping things as parallel, below League 2, as possible would be good.

However, what criteria would you have for a LL2? Entry level or, like I said, the beginning of gaining an entry licence and the club would just have to build on that?

Just seen this reply. It could possibly make sense to do this, especially has the idea was floated about for the highland league. Keeping things as parallel, below League 2, as possible would be good.

However, what criteria would you have for a LL2? Entry level or, like I said, the beginning of gaining an entry licence and the club would just have to build on that?

Beginning of gaining entry and established and agreed levels of necessary progress identified. These would be done sensibly rather than rushed and stretching clubs financially. The process could then be completed year on year until they were strong enough on the park to gain promotion.

Beginning of gaining entry and established and agreed levels of necessary progress identified. These would be done sensibly rather than rushed and stretching clubs financially. The process could then be completed year on year until they were strong enough on the park to gain promotion.

Agreed, but I do think in a LL2 if you were promoted you should be given a one/two year deadline to then achieve entry level. That would then give teams sufficient time to improve infrastructure while still remaining competitive on the field.

Do also think it would work better if the spfl league 2 was disbanded and the clubs there joined the regional league. In effect making LL1 level 4 on the pyramid. That's an idealism though and I can't see that happening.

But below a LL2 would you want the EoS/SoS still feeding into it?

Archived