Other Leagues 15/16

Kris.

• 2 weeks later...

RSC Anderlecht's manager Vincent Kompany subjected to racist abuse by Club Brugge supporters

Club Bruges have condemned fans who allegedly racially abused former Manchester City captain Vincent Kompany during Sunday's game with Anderlecht.

Kompany, the current Anderlecht head coach, was visibly upset after the 2-2 draw.

The 35-year-old said he, his players and staff were verbally abused throughout the game.

"I'm having a hard time with it," Kompany told Eleven Sports. "I will go home dismayed and disappointed."

He added: "We are here with a lot of people who have given a lot from this country and who just come to play football."

Kompany, who won four Premier League titles with City before leaving in 2019 to join Anderlecht as player-manager, refused to speak to the wider media after the game and said he wanted to "go home, rest and spend time with people who are important to me".

In response to Kompany's comments, Club Bruges posted on Twitter: "The club, it's supporters, staff, players, employees and board strongly condemn any form of racism. These individuals are not representative of the values and norms of our club."

In October, a Belgium-based Manchester City fan was attacked on his way home from the Champions League meeting between City and Club Bruges.

Edited by GNU_Linux

I thought Besiktas were one of the "Big Three"? They're rubbish. Lucky to be level 1-1 at half time at home to second bottom Goztepe, thanks to their keeper saving a pen (didn't think it was much of a penalty, tbh). And they're a bunch of play acting fannies into the bargain

2-1 to Besiktas, probably deserved it on the second half performance, 2 cracking goals from Besiktas to be fair, both sides hit the woodwork in the second half (Besiktas was a deflected free kick), Beskitas played the last 10 minutes + 5 additional with 10 men.

Edited by Jacksgranda
Update

I thought Besiktas were one of the "Big Three"? They're rubbish. Lucky to be level 1-1 at half time at home to second bottom Goztepe, thanks to their keeper saving a pen (didn't think it was much of a penalty, tbh). And they're a bunch of play acting fannies into the bargain
Their fans are arseholes. I'm glad they're doing shite.

7 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

Fenerbahçe only managed a draw against Karagumruk despite the position being down to nine men for 48 minutes.
Galatasaray aren't even top half.

Braga ended up with only 9 men against Vizela

• 2 weeks later...

Watched a great game in the UAE Pro League Cup, Al Wasl 3 Al Ain 4, aggregate 6-7. Al Ain's 2nd goal was a real cracker, goalie cleared it from the edge of his box straight to the striker in the other box and he slammed it home. There may have been a slight hint of offside about it, but it was some goal.

Defending champions of the Ekstraklasa Legia Warsaw currently sitting 2nd bottom in the league.

image.png.c3bdde08cd94189de3cac0b35e558459.png

Interesting note about the team keeping Legia off the bottom. Bruk-Bet Termalica Nieciecza represent Nieciecza which has a population of just 750 thus the club are the team from the smallest settlement to have played in the top flight of a European country which they first achieved in the 15/16 season. The following season they finished 8th being as high as 4th at one point before relegation in 17/18. Returned for this season after a 2nd place finish in the I Liga.

The previous holder of this honor was Sweden's Mjällby AIF from Hällevik which has population of 813 as of 2010 & first played in the Allsvenskan in 1980.

Edited by GNU_Linux

On 23/12/2021 at 17:58, Jacksgranda said:

2-1 to Besiktas, probably deserved it on the second half performance, 2 cracking goals from Besiktas to be fair, both sides hit the woodwork in the second half (Besiktas was a deflected free kick), Beskitas played the last 10 minutes + 5 additional with 10 men.

Fenerbahce - another of the so called big three - lose 2-1 at home to Adana Demirspor, who deserved to win from what I saw. Didn't see the first half hour but Fenerbahce for all their possession created very little, thought the visiting keeper looked a bit iffy but he was never really tested. Demirspor weren't afraid to have a pop at goal any time they ventured upfield.

14 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

Fenerbahce - another of the so called big three - lose 2-1 at home to Adana Demirspor, who deserved to win from what I saw. Didn't see the first half hour but Fenerbahce for all their possession created very little, thought the visiting keeper looked a bit iffy but he was never really tested. Demirspor weren't afraid to have a pop at goal any time they ventured upfield.

On 24/12/2021 at 07:43, DiegoDiego said:

Fenerbahçe only managed a draw against Karagumruk despite the position being down to nine men for 48 minutes.
Galatasaray aren't even top half.

What is happening in Turkey? All the so called big 3 teams being mediocre, only Fenerbache are near the European places and the other 2 are mid table (although the league is tight and a few wins could change that) but to be there halfway through a league is something.

In modern times this kind of thing is unheard of, can you imagine a scenario where the big 3 in Portugal and Holland don't possess at least 3 out of the top 4 spots and generally it is only the 3rd spot up for grabs, the top 2 are not for the smaller clubs.

The elite clubs from each country have stacked the chips so much in their favour that this kind of thing shouldn't happen, has something fundamentally changed in Turkey?

The short answer is increased strength in depth coupled with a Lira which has been in downfall for the last four years. Portuguese and Dutch teams tend to do significantly better in Europe, too.

Nobody in Turkey talks about a big three, Trabzonspor are as big a club as the others and have been doing pretty well these last few years.

• 2 weeks later...

Kasimpaşa's fifth win on the trot (after picking up only twelve points from their previous eighteen games) means that Galatasaray are the worst Istanbul team in the top flight. I'd love to still be there getting it right up the glory-hunting fans of the sixth best team in the city.

Kasimpaşa's fifth win on the trot (after picking up only twelve points from their previous eighteen games) means that Galatasaray are the worst Istanbul team in the top flight. I'd love to still be there getting it right up the glory-hunting fans of the sixth best team in the city.

As shit as our season has been. I think every Saints fan will say that they’re without a doubt the easiest set of fans to get a reaction out of online.

On 26/01/2022 at 02:54, mizfit said:

As shit as our season has been. I think every Saints fan will say that they’re without a doubt the easiest set of fans to get a reaction out of online.

Their fans are almost cult like, any team that plays them can expect all of their social media channels to be flooded by them for a week or so before and after the game. I did laugh at them 'insulting' St Johnstone by calling them a small club

hesgoal.com has Adama City v Ethiopian Buna in the Ethiopian Premier League listed for a 1pm kick-off today. 6th v 10th but only 1 point difference. 
I'd be interested to see some games in that league featuring clubs from opposing sides of the civil war. Is the league even continuing as normal?