Other Leagues 15/16

Kris.

I'm currently watching the Copa Sudamericana game between LDU Loja and Independiente Santa Fe. I also have the Basel vs Thun game recorded from earlier to see if it's any good.

Does anyone know of any decent websites or podcasts that cover any of the South American leagues? I'm going to try and get into it more after enjoying the Copa America and a few of the Libertadores matches during the summer.

The Belgian league is on Premier Sports again this year, starting on Friday night with Club Brugge vs Kortrijk.

I'm currently watching the Copa Sudamericana game between LDU Loja and Independiente Santa Fe. I also have the Basel vs Thun game recorded from earlier to see if it's any good.

Does anyone know of any decent websites or podcasts that cover any of the South American leagues? I'm going to try and get into it more after enjoying the Copa America and a few of the Libertadores matches during the summer.

Up until this year we got 2 or 3 games from Copa Libertadores & Copa Sudamerica live every match week plus a highlights show and also live Argentine league games. Then Setanta sold to BeIn Sports and the've all been dropped from the schedule. You've missed the boat on the LIbertadores as the 2nd leg of the Final was last week, River Plate beat UNAM 3-0 after 0-0 draw in Mexi9co in 1st Leg.

Up until this year we got 2 or 3 games from Copa Libertadores & Copa Sudamerica live every match week plus a highlights show and also live Argentine league games. Then Setanta sold to BeIn Sports and the've all been dropped from the schedule. You've missed the boat on the LIbertadores as the 2nd leg of the Final was last week, River Plate beat UNAM 3-0 after 0-0 draw in Mexi9co in 1st Leg.

Yeah, I watched both legs of the Libertadores final. Sorry I should've made it clearer about what I meant with coverage. I can view most of the games no problem on tv or on betting sites, I was more interested in analysis of the games from blogs and/or podcasts etc.

That's quite shite about how the rights to show the games on tv worked out all the same.

Edited by t1t3h

Yeah, I watched both legs of the Libertadores final. Sorry I should've made it clearer about what I meant with coverage. I can view most of the games no problem on tv or on betting sites, I was more interested in analysis of the games from blogs and/or podcasts etc.

That's quite shite about how the rights to show the games on tv worked out all the same.

Argentine newspaper La Nacion ( http://www.lanacion.com.ar ) has a reasonable sports section and the AFA web site ( http://afa.org.ar/torneos.php ) has reasonable stats but might not be as independent as you want plus a knowledge of Spanish or use of Google translate will help. ESPN FC has a River Plate blog of sorts so might have blogs for other teams/comps ( http://www.espnfc.com.au/club/river-plate/16/blog ).

The BBC reports that the liquidators are selling Parma's trophies.

"Creditors on behalf of the defunct club are selling a number of lots including Uefa Cups won in 1995 and 1999, three Copa Italia trophies, a Cup Winners' Cup and a European Supercup.

A new Parma football club Parma Calcio 1913 will begin the season in Serie D."

Good to see that the new Parma is not claiming to be the same club.

Surely Rangers' liquidators should be selling their trophies too. 8)

Scenes in the Allsvenskan on Wednesday as Elfsborg came from 2-0 down to win 3-2 with a last minute penalty. The win moved them up to 2nd, level on points with Goteburg in 1st & Norrkoping in 3rd. The table looks like this just now:

post-15093-0-73763400-1439570098_thumb.p

11 games to go and just 4 points separates Goteburg at the top and Malmo down in 6th. Not only are they close on points, but look at the GD! It's going to be some run-in. For those who don't take much interest in the league, a little bit of extra info on the top 6:

IFK Goteburg - They last won the Championship in 2007, which at the time was their first in 11 years. That title in 1996 was their 6th in 7 years. They did finish runners up last year, though. My favourites to win it. Should they happen to finish 22 points clear of Malmo (unlikely), they'll overtake them in the all-time Allsvenskan table. Best defence in the league with just 12 conceded in their 19 games (although almost half of this total has come in their last 4 games).

Elfsborg - Won their first Allsvenskan in 45 years back in 2006 and followed that up with another 3 years ago. Along with a 2nd place finish in 2008, these are their highest leagues finishes since the late 70's. Have the smallest average attendance of the top 6, just behind Norrkoping, but around 6,000+ less than the other 4. Malmo and AIK average almost double the amount. Unbeaten at home in the league so far this season.

Norrkoping - Haven't won the title since 1989 or even finished in the top 2 since 1993. Were only promoted in 2010 after finishing runners-up in the second tier. Would be massive if they could win it. Currently have the leagues join-top scorer in Emir Kujovic. Also have the best defence in the league away from home, conceding just 7 so far.

Djurgarden - Last title win came exactly 10 years ago, which was their 3rd win in 4 years. Haven't even managed a top 2 finish since that last title. They share a stadium with Hammarby but average almost 10,000 less. It's the second largest league stadium in the country, though. A fun little fact too - their earliest known manager back in the 20's was Scottish.

AIK - Last won the title in 2009, but did finish runners-up in 2011 & 2013. They have the second highest average attendance in the league this season and the highest attendance for any one game - 41,000+. Their stadium is also the biggest league ground in Sweden. They have the best home record in the league 28 points out of 30 and obviously unbeaten. Second top scorers in the league behind Malmo. Alex Miller was briefly in charge in 2010 - less than 5 months to be exact.

Malmo FF - They've won 3 out of the last 5 titles and probably have the strongest side in the league. They are the top scorers in the league, having scored one more than AIK. When they don't win the league, they don't tend to do too well. 2002 was the last time they failed to win the league but still finished top 2. It'll be between them and Goteburg for the title, depending on how they do in the CL. They've won more Allsvenskan titles than any other club and top the all-time Allsvenskan league table.

Another interesting fact: in every game week since week 8 (we're just going in to week 20), at least two of these six clubs have faced one another. This weekend is no different as Elfsborg are at home to Djugarden. In fact, in 8 of final 11 game weeks, at least two sides from this little group will face each other. Malmo v Norrkoping on the final day could be a title decider!

Edited by Kris.

Lille managing to fend off Monaco, 5 mins still to go and 0-0.

Mounir Obbadi just rightly shown a second yellow for Lille, whose players then remonstrated with the referee over a case of mistaken identity...ref talks to the lino and then rescinds the card and gives it to Sofiane Boufal instead. Replay shows it was indeed Obaddi who commited the foul. Renard hooks him a minute later and they've got off with one!

Lille not looking a bad outfit under Renard, two tough games to start the season in PSG and Monaco and they haven't looked outclassed at all.

Didn't have much to do tonight so reserving judgement. Finished 3-0 Porto, Vitoria looked poor, can't see them repeating last term's top 5 spot.

Recorded the game to watch later, is it worth watching after all, or should I sack it for some highlights instead?

Caen look like they might be able to build on that superb run they had towards the end of last season and make a push for a top half finish, perhaps even the Europa League. Two wins from two, including away to Marseille, whilst keeping two clean sheets.

Monaco despite failing to score looked decent against Lille, could do with an out and out striker, though. Looking forward to seeing how Marseille bounce back tomorrow at Reims.

Edited by Kris.

Recorded the game to watch later, is it worth watching after all, or should I sack it for some highlights instead?

Caen look like they might be able to build on that superb run they had towards the end of last season and make a push for a top half finish, perhaps even the Europa League. Two wins from two, including away to Marseille, whilst keeping two clean sheets.

Monaco despite failing to score looked decent against Lille, could do with an out and out striker, though. Looking forward to seeing how Marseille bounce back tomorrow at Reims.

Highlights would cover it, pretty routine stuff from Porto with Guimaraes not offering anything in counter.

Watched the PSG game this morning. Hard to tell how good they are, or even how poor Gazelec are considering the huge gulf in quality between the two sides. Game was over once the second went in. PSG were really impressive in the first half though but naturally eased off in the second.

Marseille lost again, this time to Reims. Reims incidentally have beaten Bordeaux and Marseille in their first games, not bad going for a side who finished 15th last season. Angers have 4 points from 6 which is a decent start and Troyes have a couple of draws to their name, including coming from 3-1 down at home to Nice despite playing for an hour or so with 10 men.

On to the Allsvenskan and there were routine wins for some of the top 6. IFK pumped Hacken 4-0 to remain top of the table. Elfsborg beat Djurgarden 2-0 to move up a couple of places to 2nd and remain level with IFK, with Djurgarden dropping from 2nd to 6th, highlighting just how tight the division is at the top. Malmo also had a comfortable 2-0 win at home to Gefle. AIK won 2-1 at home to Kalmar to also move in to the top 3.

The side that were nudged out for Elfsborg & AIK - Norrkoping, travel away to bottom of the table Atvidaberg later on today where a win will move them back to 3rd, whilst a win by 4/5 goals would see them go 2nd. A win in either case puts them level with the top 2, anyway. Won't be easy for them though as Atvidaberg drew 2-2 at home to Malmo a couple of weeks ago, where they led 2-0 at one point and managed a goalless draw away to Djurgarden a couple weeks before that. Despite only winning one game all season, they have managed 4 draws in 5 now, including those two mentioned results.

Helsingborg could pull themselves within 6 points of Djurgarden and in to contention for a top 6 finish if they can beat Halmstad. Falkenberg and Hammarby face off as well to round up the weekends games, they're currently the two sides sitting just outside the relegation play-off spot. Should Falkenberg win, they'll move level with Hammarby and both sides would then be 4 points clear of that play-off spot.