Other Leagues 15/16

Kris.

Started a similar thread last year and then a lack of interest initially saw me completely forget about it, but I shall try again. With there being various different leagues on the telly these days (outside of the main ones), I figured it would be good to have a thread for all of those, since the bigger leagues all have their own threads. The TV rights are currently as follows:

SKY:
Netherlands - Eredivisie

BT Sport:
Portugal - Primeira Liga

Switzerland - Super League

France - Ligue 1

Brazil - Brasileirao/Paulistao

On top of that, betting sites like Bet 365/William Hill etc stream games from various leagues across Europe and I find myself watching the odd game from the Danish & Swedish top-flights, particularly the latter considering their season runs throughout our summer. Premier Sports had the Belgian Jupiler League last season, but don't appear to be showing it this year. Perhaps BT will swoop in on that as well.

Anyone else have any interests in leagues outside of the usual suspects?

I like to keep an eye on the Norwegian Tippeligaen.

Rosenborg are on course to win their win league title since 2010. It seems a long time now since they were regulars in the group stages of the Champions League.

Stabaek, managed by former USMNT coach Bob Bradley, are 2nd, despite having one of the smallest budgets in the league.

Henrik Ojamaa - formerly of Motherwell of course - is on loan at Sarpsborg, but hasn't found the net in ten appearances.

It's been a goalfest this weekend too:

Screen%20Shot%202015-08-03%20at%2000.40.

I like to keep an eye on the Norwegian Tippeligaen.

Rosenborg are on course to win their win league title since 2010. It seems a long time now since they were regulars in the group stages of the Champions League.

Stabaek, managed by former USMNT coach Bob Bradley, are 2nd, despite having one of the smallest budgets in the league.

Henrik Ojamaa - formerly of Motherwell of course - is on loan at Sarpsborg, but hasn't found the net in ten appearances.

It's been a goalfest this weekend too:

Screen%20Shot%202015-08-03%20at%2000.40.

Good to see another fan of Scandinavian football, it reminds me of Scottish Football in a few ways. The last Norwegian game I watched though was from the second tier involving Tromso last year. Lost 3-1 IIRC. Had intended on following them after their promotion but haven't really done so - looks like they'll be heading straight back down anyway.

EDIT: And I just noticed them in your screenshot, getting humped 6-0 at home. :lol:

Has anyone got the A-League?

Aye, BT still have it.

Edited by Kris.

A couple of the bigger leagues get underway tomorrow.

Eredivisie:

Newly promoted Roda JC are at home to Hercales, with Feyenoord who finished third last year hosting Utrecht. Both games are on sky. The first fixtures for some clubs are delayed as a few games were postponed, so champions PSV won't start their season until Tuesday night.

Ligue 1:

Okay, it technically started tonight with PSG winning 1-0 at Lille, but the majority of matches this weekend take place tomorrow, including a derby between Nice & Monaco (Live on BT Sport). Gazelec Ajaccio will be playing their first Ligue 1 game in their history when they go away to Ligue 2 champions Troyes. The other new side Angers, are away to Montpellier. Lyon v Lorient on Sunday is live on BT.

I mentioned the Swedish top flight in my opening post and there's quite a big game this weekend. Champions of the last two years Malmo sit 6th, are at home to league leaders IFK Goteburg. There's 7 points between them with 12 games to go, so defeat for Malmo may well rule them out of being able to win their 3rd straight title. Malmo won the game in Gothenburg earlier in the season, plus IFK have won just one of their last nine meetings between the sides, that coming back in 2012. IFK have a great defensive record this season though, conceding just 10 in 18 games, so I fancy them to take something. Game is on Sunday afternoon and will be streamed on the usual betting sites if anyone fancies it.

Edited by Kris.

1-0 Nice @ HT. It's been eventful. Only two real goalscoring opportunities, one which Nice took and one for Monaco which was headed wide - even then a boy at the back post nearly poked it in. 4 subs made as well, 2 for each side. Both of the Nice changes being down to injuries, but the two for Monaco were tactical/players being shite. Nice reduced to ten men just before HT too with their 17 year old LB picking up two bookings. Should be a good second half.

Finished 2-1 to Monaco. Very good second half. Monaco with a few chances including a terrific overhead kick from El Shaarawy which was saved. Nice had a few moments of their own too, despite playing with 10 men. Should have nicked a point in injury time, as well.

Elsewhere Marseille lost at home to Caen, the two new boys Troyes and Ajaccio drew 0-0 with one another, whilst Angers won 2-0 at Montpellier! Bastia came from behind to beat Rennes and Nantes won 1-0 at home to Guingamp with a late goal.

Toulouse v St Ettienne & Lyon v Lorient both on BT tomorrow.

Ajax already 1-0 up against Alkmaar

Some goal it was too. Only saw the first half hour so missed the other two goals. Surprised to see Ajax as far ahead as they were at HT, AZ had looked quite threatening in the time I was watching, had fancied them to get something.

In the big game in Sweden, Malmo beat IFK 2-1 to keep their chances of retaining the title alive. I'd planned on watching it but thought it was a 4pm KO - it started at 2. Only 5 points separates the top 6, should be a good run in. Elfsborg are playing just now and if they can find a winner (currently 0-0), they'll move in to the top 3.

No surprise to see Bielsa leave Marseille. They were shite for a large part of last season, especially at the start and during the run-in. They're raging he's gone though, as it's apparently down to some contract dispute.

Lyon v Lorient on later, will be recording it to watch at some point tonight after the missus pisses of to bed.

Some goal it was too. Only saw the first half hour so missed the other two goals. Surprised to see Ajax as far ahead as they were at HT, AZ had looked quite threatening in the time I was watching, had fancied them to get something.

It was bizarre. AZ would have some sustained pressure, Ajax would go up the pitch and score. The goalkeeper looked a bit shite though

Was going to watch Young Boys vs Thun earlier for a bit of the novelty factor.

Anybody see it? Was it any good? How did it finish?

Didn't see it personally, but I've watched a few of the games from the league so far as it started just ahead of our season and there was nothing else on. Definitely worth giving a go though, quite enjoyed the games I seen.

In terms of quality it's probably above your average Scottish Premiership/English Championship game. Basel and Young Boys games (as shown today) in particular tend to produce a few goals.