Other Leagues 15/16

Kris.

1 minute ago, Robin.Hood said:

Can a strip still be ordered ? 

They certainly can! They're getting printed this week and we're hoping to receive them later in May.

Still to finalise the cost, but basically it'll be enough to cover production and shipping, plus a bit to cover shipping a crate of second hand football kit (they have said they are short of some of the basics, and I've managed to source some) back to them in Malawi. Not looking to make any personal profit.

Very happy to keep you posted with details once I have them.

For enjoyers of one sided leagues Ludogorets Razgrad won the Bulgarian Parva liga for the 11th season in a row.  The league also has two CSKA Sofias which is a thing.

Edited by GNU_Linux

On 12/05/2022 at 12:06, Adamski said:

Lower league Finnish football, anyone?

This lot play in tier 4, and are currently on a bit of a cup run at the moment - just drawn IFK Helsinki of the Premier League...
https://www.facebook.com/sexypoxyt

Literally 'sexy pants'.

Their vets +35 team also took part in the cup this season. Papped out in round 0 7-0 by 4th tier HPS.

• 3 weeks later...

Alan Pardew & Alex Dyer quit CSKA Sofia after CSKA fans racially abuse their own players

The former Newcastle and Crystal Palace manager Alan Pardew has quit as manager of CSKA Sofia after fans of the Bulgarian top-tier side racially abused their own players, according to a statement on CSKA’s website on Wednesday.

Pardew took charge in April but resigned after some fans threw bananas at black players from their own team and targeted them with racial slurs before a home game against Botev Plovdiv on 19 May.

Sky Sports reported that CSKA’s fans had been angered by a cup final loss to neighbouring Levski Sofia a week earlier.

“The events before and after the match against Botev Plovdiv were unacceptable, not only for me but also for my assistant Alex Dyer and for my players,” Pardew said in the statement. “This small group of organised racist fans, who tried to sabotage the game, are not the fans I want to coach the team in front of.

“It’s been a privilege and honour to serve this great club. Unfortunately, my time here has come to an end.”

Pardew, who first joined CSKA as technical director in 2020, leaves along with his assistant coach Alex Dyer, who is black.

Edited by GNU_Linux

On 31/05/2022 at 14:56, charger29 said:

https://norway.postsen.com/sports/8268/%E2%80%93-Does-not-look-good.html

Kinda interested to see what the punishment is for a keeper moving the goalposts.
From watching a video of him moving them it's obviously intentional and not a ritual. He waits till after the linesman checks the net.

ban him and deduct any points his team have gained in the games where hes done this imo.total fucking cheat

• 2 months later...

They seem to like an early morning kick-off in the Uruguay Primera Divisiön. It’s 10am local time and Montevideo Wanderers v Albion is about to start.

Before the last games of the New Zealand National League Southern League earlier today Cashmere Technical were top with 46 pts and GD +58, Christchurch United were second also on 46 pts but GD +52. Cashmere Tech won 5-4 away to 5th placed Dunedin City Royals. Christchurch United were at home to bottom side Mosgiel, final result 10-0, Christchurch United win league with GD +62 to Cashmere Tech’s +59. Both sides qualified for the National League.

• 2 months later...

The reserve side of Georgian top flight club Lokomotive Tbilisi who play in the 4th tier have reached the Georgian Cup final where they'll play top flight Torpedo Kutaisi. This is also the 1st time a 4th tier side have reached the cup final. On their way to the final Lokomotive II have taken the scalps of top flight sides Samgurali, Telavi & Saburtalo. The first team crashed out in the round of 16 to 2nd tier Shukura.

Real Madrid Castilla famously reached the 1980 Spanish cup final losing to their big brothers & going on to play in the Cup Winners Cup losing to West Ham. Hertha Berlin II made the German cup final in 1993 losing to Bayern Leverkusen.

• 1 month later...

Cook Islands football is streamed live on VAKA TV web site every week, usually 2 or 3 games. It came up in my feed one Sunday last month indicating it was a live broadcast from the day before. Disn’t realise the Cook Islands are on the other side of the international Date Line so instead of being 3.5 hours ahead of me they are actually -20.50 hrs (GMT -10.00) and yesterday. 

On 02/11/2022 at 23:13, GNU_Linux said:

The reserve side of Georgian top flight club Lokomotive Tbilisi who play in the 4th tier have reached the Georgian Cup final where they'll play top flight Torpedo Kutaisi. This is also the 1st time a 4th tier side have reached the cup final. On their way to the final Lokomotive II have taken the scalps of top flight sides Samgurali, Telavi & Saburtalo. The first team crashed out in the round of 16 to 2nd tier Shukura.

Real Madrid Castilla famously reached the 1980 Spanish cup final losing to their big brothers & going on to play in the Cup Winners Cup losing to West Ham. Hertha Berlin II made the German cup final in 1993 losing to Bayern Leverkusen.

The Georgian Cup final is this afternoon. Has a team from a fourth tier or below ever won a European domestic cup? I know Calais famously came close in France a couple of decades ago.

14 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

The Georgian Cup final is this afternoon. Has a team from a fourth tier or below ever won a European domestic cup? I know Calais famously came close in France a couple of decades ago.

rsssf.org is awesome for this kind of stuff: Minnows in Cup FInals

Edit: on a really quick look I could only find third tier winners in Europe:

Luxembourg: 1970/71 Jeunesse Hautcharage (3, pr.) 4-1   Jeunesse d'Esch (1)
Sweden:: 1948    Råå IF (3, pr.)               6-0   BK Kenty (3)

Edit again: in fact, if I'd scrolled down the page, I'd've seen this has already been done and I've missed loads.

The following European clubs won domestic cups playing at the third or equivalent level:

1900/01 Tottenham Hotspur      England
1917/18 RCH                    Netherlands
1919/20 CVV                    Netherlands
1920/21 Schoten                Netherlands
1948    Råå IF                 Sweden
1970/71 Jeunesse Hautcharage   Luxembourg
1982/83 Lechia Gdansk          Poland
2012/13 FC Pasching            Austria
2015/16 CSKA Sofia             Bulgaria

Edited by Cyclizine

6 hours ago, Cyclizine said:

Surely the Welsh Cup was won by clubs below tier 3?

EDIT: and presumably Liechtenstein too.

Edited by HibeeJibee

4 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Surely the Welsh Cup was won by clubs below tier 3?

EDIT: and presumably Liechtenstein too.

I suppose the difference there is those clubs would be playing in leagues of a different nation to the cup.

11 hours ago, Cyclizine said:

Luxembourg: 1970/71 Jeunesse Hautcharage (3, pr.) 4-1   Jeunesse d'Esch (1)
Sweden:: 1948    Råå IF (3, pr.)               6-0   BK Kenty (3)

Edit again: in fact, if I'd scrolled down the page, I'd've seen this has already been done and I've missed loads.

The following European clubs won domestic cups playing at the third or equivalent level:

1900/01 Tottenham Hotspur      England
1917/18 RCH                    Netherlands
1919/20 CVV                    Netherlands
1920/21 Schoten                Netherlands
1948    Råå IF                 Sweden
1970/71 Jeunesse Hautcharage   Luxembourg
1982/83 Lechia Gdansk          Poland
2012/13 FC Pasching            Austria
2015/16 CSKA Sofia             Bulgaria

Minnows in Cup Finals
Countrywise Listing of Cup Final Minnows
Scotland

2015/16 Hibernian (2) 3-2 Rangers (2, pr.)

Superb. 😂

• 2 weeks later...

Cook Island KO Cup Final day live 

Women’s Final Titikaveka v Tupapa 1-1 FT. Titikaveka win on penalties which was an upset according to the commentator.

Men’s Final Nikao v Tupapa.

Not a good day for Tupapa fans as the men’s final also ended 1-1 with Nikao winning on penalties. These were the last games of the Cook Island season.

Edited by Eednud

• 2 weeks later...

Wuhan Three Towns have won the Chinese Super League by a bawhair in their maiden season & is their 3rd league title in the three seasons after winning League Two & League One previously. Shandong fans are probably having a heads gone on China's equivalent of Pie & Bovril after the last round of fixtures were cancelled.

Contrast of fortune for Wuhan as Yangtze River are doon.

image.png.1cfbb7f90405ad20a52170f8d6d3351c.png

Edited by GNU_Linux

• 1 month later...

Noticed that 2 top flight teams were beaten at home by lower league sides in the Copa Argentina Round of 64 this morning. Gimnasia y Esgrima (LP) lost 5-6 on penalties after 1-1 to Excursionistas (4) and Newell’s Old Boys 0-1 to Claypoles (4). Two weeks ago Tigre lost 4-5 on penalties after 1-1 to Centro Español (5). Opening game of this round was played on 24 Jan with TBD as last date.

• 3 months later...

Not sure if this is the right thread or not, but a hell of a finish to the season in Belgium today:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65805961

With 89 minutes gone, Union Saint-Gilloise were top. 

With 90 minutes gone, Genk were going to be champions. 

With 94 minutes gone, Antwerp scored to win their first title in 64 years. 

Was there any other football today? Probably not :whistle