Other Leagues 15/16

Kris.

45 minutes ago, Marten said:
1 hour ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:
Thanks. 
In that case, my wife will be treated to a romantic Volendam v Jong Ajax/ Almere v NAC double header.

If you are looking for something for the Saturday afternoon, I'd suggest going one tier lower. In the Tweede Divisie Amsterdamsche FC play Koninklijke HFC from Haarlem. Two very traditional teams with a long history at a lovely ground near the heart of Amsterdam.

Thanks!

In New Zealand the 3 Regional League qualifying competitions for the National League are underway. There doesn’t appear to be any guaranteed live coverage at this stage but it’s a sunny afternoon in Dunedin with Dunedin City Royals scoring 2 goals in 3 minutes to go 3-2 ahead against Coastal Spirit in the Southern League. About 10 minutes left. 

Union Saint-Gilloise finish top of the Belgian Pro League before the split. Newly promoted last year and in the top flight for the first time in 48 years, they’re 11 times league winners and 8 times runners up between 1903 and 1935.

Theyre owned by the same guy who owns Brighton so it’s maybe not the fairytale it seems but still some effort. 

FIFA have launched a new app which is promising “thousands” of free live matches per month from domestic leagues throughout the world. 

https://www.fifa.com/mobile

The live games are obviously from leagues that have little commercial interest in this country, and you’d expect them to be on the obscure side. But the Nepal Women’s Football League was a WTF moment. 

Edited by The Master

2 hours ago, The Master said:

FIFA have launched a new app which is promising “thousands” of free live matches per month from domestic leagues throughout the world. 

https://www.fifa.com/mobile

The live games are obviously from leagues that have little commercial interest in this country, and you’d expect them to be on the obscure side. But the Nepal Women’s Football League was a WTF moment. 

Superb stuff.

Came across this eyebrow raising result in the AFC Champions League. A Korean team hitting a Chinese one for seven is out there enough but to boot Shandong are 1st in the Chinese Super League while Daegu are 10th in K League 1.  Going by the lineups on soccerway Shandong never had any of their foreign players.

image.png.db5d7732f0c2c05c8642b353193a24eb.png

Came across this eyebrow raising result in the AFC Champions League. A Korean team hitting a Chinese one for seven is out there enough but to boot Shandong are 1st in the Chinese Super League while Daegu are 10th in K League 1.  Going by the lineups on soccerway Shandong never had any of their foreign players.

image.png.db5d7732f0c2c05c8642b353193a24eb.png
The Chinese Super League has gone to shit since they reigned in the spending. Most of the foreign players have left (although I think Fellaini is still with Shandong).

Not that it's a scientific measure by any means but a couple of years ago most of the Chinese teams were rated around 3/4 stars on Fifa. Now they're lucky if they get a 2 star rating.

• 3 weeks later...

It’s not just foreign players the Chinese clubs have left out; they have only sent youth squads to the AFC Champions League, which is being hosted in a couple of locations for each region rather than teams playing actual home & away matches. I believe it’s Thailand and Malaysia for all the eastern section games.

Of the 3 Chinese clubs who qualified for the tournament, Shanghai Port withdrew altogether, Guangzhou lost all 6 games scoring zero goals, and Shandong drew one game while scoring twice.

Trabzonspor confirmed as champions after a 2-2 draw yesterday. Some decent #scenes videos out there on social media.
First title for 38 years. They're easily the best supported Turkish team not from Istanbul.

One of the other better supported teams, Bursaspor, who play in a crocodile, seem set for the third tier next season.

Singburi  Bangrachan FC my local team has been disbanded ☹️

In 2019 they came 7th in the 4 tier Northern Region, but were relegated to the amateur leagues as the 3 team below them were all 'B' teams, who could not be relegated  even though they were beating these teams 6 nil.& finished 20 point ahead.

Covid struck and we didn't have an amateur league until this weekend.  Singburi never entered.

Very sad, has a great wee 3,500 seated stadium. Youth teams at U15 & U11 (which my boy was hopefully join when old enough).  With Singburi province (county) of 250,000 population, it really should have a fitba team. Anyone want to take over?

Edited by SlipperyP

4 hours ago, Nightmare said:

It’s not just foreign players the Chinese clubs have left out; they have only sent youth squads to the AFC Champions League, which is being hosted in a couple of locations for each region rather than teams playing actual home & away matches. I believe it’s Thailand and Malaysia for all the eastern section games.

Of the 3 Chinese clubs who qualified for the tournament, Shanghai Port withdrew altogether, Guangzhou lost all 6 games scoring zero goals, and Shandong drew one game while scoring twice.

3 groups in Thailand, 1 in Malaysia and 1 in Vietnam.

First title for 38 years. They're easily the best supported Turkish team not from Istanbul.

One of the other better supported teams, Bursaspor, who play in a crocodile, seem set for the third tier next season.

The side we played in Europe in 2012 have had a similar collapse. Eskiherspor have a 30’000 but corrupt owners and shite investments ruined their club. One of their fans was on our fans podcast talking about the Galatasaray games in July and said most Turkish clubs were a bad season for total collapse.

Another "fresh" league winner in Europe as Zurich are crowned Swiss champions after a 2-0 win away at nearest challengers Basel.

They last won the league in 2009 - since then Basel won 8 straight before Young Boys claimed the last 4.

I posted about this on another thread, but this is probably where it belongs...

As I've mentioned in a couple of other corners of the forum, I'm a scientist working on infectious diseases in Africa. Over the past few years, sleeping sickness cases have been rising in Malawi, and I'm involved in a string of projects investigating the causes, and what can be done to lower case numbers. Alongside the core research, we've been doing public engagement work in the affected communities: hearing people's experience of the disease, and discussing the research we do.

The area of Malawi most affected by sleeping sickness is Rumphi District, and I got talking to the local football team about helping spread the word on the work we are doing...

Rumphi United, 'The Leopards of Chikulamayembe' only formed in 2019, but they've made great strides since: becoming champions of their region and gaining promotion to the Super League of Malawi - the top league of Malawian football. There, they're up against Malawi's big two from Blantyre: Nyasa Big Bullets and Mighty Wanderers, as well as a host of other fantastically-named clubs. Quite fittingly for a team called Rumphi United from a town called Rumphi in a district called Rumphi, the team play at Rumphi Stadium, with crowds of around 5000 at some of the games so far.

Discussions with Rumphi United developed to me noticing that they currently don't have a shirt sponsor, and soon I was getting ideas about how filling that space might demonstrate our links to the community and widen publicity about our work when photos and videos of the team appeared in the media. Also, of course,, the idea of being the shirt sponsor of a top-level African football team totally floated my football anorak boat.

Rumphi United kicked off their 2022 league campaign last month with kits carrying the logo of the Wellcome Centre for Integrative Parasitology (the centre in Glasgow where I do my research) and a web address for the Centre's public engagement work (WCIPscience.info). Life in the top league has been a bit of a struggle, and the team are currently in 14th place out of 16 (with two wins from eight games: the highlight so for being a comprehensive 3-0 win over Waka Waka Tigers (I did mention that the names in this league are rather good). Trouble Kajani is the main man in the team, with five goals so far. I really hope that they play the Taylor Swift song whenever he scores, but realistically that probably doesn't happen.

A tough season ahead, but a new Scottish supporters club to cheer them on. I've had several people asking me for a shirt, and just organised for a batch of 50 to be shipped across. Also I'm heading over there in October and hoping to make it to two or three games.

https://www.facebook.com/Rumphi-United-FC-104149408493557

b79cd969-fc56-4018-8714-f1193953af06-1.jpg

IMG_2451.JPG

278319977_313281247580371_2480822150280240148_n.jpg

Edited by Adamski

Quick update to what I posted the other day (don't worry, I'm not about to start spamming this thread with endless Malawi-related posts - maybe just the odd one here and there)...

A 2-0 win for the Leopards on Sunday at home to Sable Farming - a team with the most curious club crest I've seen for a while. I can't decide if that's a pile of potatoes or bread rolls featuring front and centre.

The win moves Rumphi out of the relegation zone and up to 11th in the table. Champions Nyasa Big Bullets lead the way.

Two more goals for Trouble Kajani - top scorer in the league now. Fairly rattling them in for a struggling team, and fans calling for him to be called up to the national squad.

274449223_112646678013319_8449300408772586902_n.jpg

Screenshot 2022-05-09 at 21.47.05.png

Edited by Adamski

12 hours ago, Adamski said:

Quick update to what I posted the other day (don't worry, I'm not about to start spamming this thread with endless Malawi-related posts - maybe just the odd one here and there)...

A 2-0 win for the Leopards on Sunday at home to Sable Farming - a team with the most curious club crest I've seen for a while. I can't decide if that's a pile of potatoes or bread rolls featuring front and centre.

The win moves Rumphi out of the relegation zone and up to 11th in the table. Champions Nyasa Big Bullets lead the way.

Two more goals for Trouble Kajani - top scorer in the league now. Fairly rattling them in for a struggling team, and fans calling for him to be called up to the national squad.

274449223_112646678013319_8449300408772586902_n.jpg

Screenshot 2022-05-09 at 21.47.05.png

Can a strip still be ordered ?