Other Leagues 15/16

Kris.

3 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:
20 minutes ago, Eednud said:
hesgoal.com has Adama City v Ethiopian Buna in the Ethiopian Premier League listed for a 1pm kick-off today. 6th v 10th but only 1 point difference. 

I'd be interested to see some games in that league featuring clubs from opposing sides of the civil war. Is the league even continuing as normal?

All teams have played at least 10 games so far. 

https://www.flashscore.com.au/football/ethiopia/premier-league/standings/

Opening games of the Uruguayan Primera Division started yesterday. Right now Albion FC are at home to Rentistas. Albion FC is the oldest football club in Uruguay founded in 1891. This is Albion’s first game in the top flight in 113 years. Game is being played at the Centenario instead of their own ground and it kicked off at 9.30am local time.

Has there every been a league champion club relegated the following season? Can't think of any in Scotland, in England also no one springs to mind though Aston Villa came close during the 1981-82 season spent much of the time in the bottom three before finding some late season form that also won them the European Cup. This must have happened somewhere in Europe at some time?

Herføgle, "The Danish Leicester" lead by John "Faxe"* Jensen, were relegated in 2001 the season after winning the league. Eight years later they, like most teams in Denmark, did a Caledonian and merged with their neighbours.

*so named due to his love of Faxe Kondi, a soft drink.

Lokomotiv Moscow currently 7th in the top flight papped oot the Russian Cup 4-0 at home by Yenisey Krasnoyarask who are 9th in the 2nd tier.

In light of recent going ons Markus Gidsol & Daniel Farke have left their respective jobs at Lokomotiv Moscow & FC Krasnodar. The latter club have suspended 8 of their foreign players & these players will train seperate from the rest of the squad.

10 hours ago, Eednud said:

Another 9:30am local time kick-off in Montevideo with River Plate at home to Cerro Largo. River 1-0 ahead after 32 mins.

Is there any particular reason for these morning kick offs in Uruguay? Doesn't seem like 9.30am is a very appealing time for a game.

Queretaro v Atlas abandoned in Mexico after riots in the stands where apparently many have died and hundreds are injured.

Stumbled across a video on Twitter this morning by accident and really wish I hadn’t. Fucking grim stuff.

The rest of this weekend’s fixtures still went ahead as well, which is disgraceful.

10 hours ago, Craig the Hunter said:

Is there any particular reason for these morning kick offs in Uruguay? Doesn't seem like 9.30am is a very appealing time for a game.

No idea as I was hoping someone would know. There’s another today with Fenix v Boston River. I bet Penarol and Nacional never have an early morning game. Have noticed on YouTube that some Argentine reserve games have early morning starts. 

58 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

Queretaro v Atlas abandoned in Mexico after riots in the stands where apparently many have died and hundreds are injured.

Stumbled across a video on Twitter this morning by accident and really wish I hadn’t. Fucking grim stuff.

The rest of this weekend’s fixtures still went ahead as well, which is disgraceful.

Stupidly I had a look and definitely fucking grim. Always associate Latin American games with having a high police/security force presence but maybe it’S not the same for some domestic competitions. There certainly didn’t seem to be any sign of any/many at the game.

On 19/02/2022 at 09:08, Snafu said:

I've been watching the plight of Legia this season and after winning all their winter break friendlies it would be expected that they might regain the confidence to start climbing the table but after watching them play Warta last week they look to be even worse, contributing to their own downfall unable to score goals along with bombscare defending and also Artur Boruc losing the plot and getting himself red carded.

Has there every been a league champion club relegated the following season? Can't think of any in Scotland, in England also no one springs to mind though Aston Villa came close during the 1981-82 season spent much of the time in the bottom three before finding some late season form that also won them the European Cup. This must have happened somewhere in Europe at some time?

Manchester City were relegated from the English top-flight in 1937/38, the season after they won the league.

They were also the league's top goalscorers that season, a fairly unique acheivement.

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks. 
In that case, my wife will be treated to a romantic Volendam v Jong Ajax/ Almere v NAC double header.
If you are looking for something for the Saturday afternoon, I'd suggest going one tier lower. In the Tweede Divisie Amsterdamsche FC play Koninklijke HFC from Haarlem. Two very traditional teams with a long history at a lovely ground near the heart of Amsterdam.