Other Leagues 15/16

Kris.

11 minutes ago, lanky_ffc said:

They did the business and broke Basel's run of 8 in a row.

AEK also won the Greek Super League to break Olympiakos' run of 7 titles. Decent week for ending dominant steaks in '1-team leagues'.

Won it themselves at home in front of their first sell out in f*ck knows how long. Tremendous scenes at full time, full scale, old fashioned pitch invasion. Be interesting to see how they get on in the CL qualifiers next year. They aren't a particularly good team if you ask me but their style of play has been getting them results. Very basic "Get it wide, get it in the box and let the forwards attack it". It has worked for them though.

• 2 weeks later...

any of you knowledgable folk know anything about the Lithuanian or Latvian leagues?

I'm out in Lithuania on the weekend of 9/10th june, hoped id catch a game or 2 in a summer league but as per usual the fixtures seem unkind to me-there seems to be some sort of mid season break. or are cup games to be played that weekend?anyone know?

any of you knowledgable folk know anything about the Lithuanian or Latvian leagues?
I'm out in Lithuania on the weekend of 9/10th june, hoped id catch a game or 2 in a summer league but as per usual the fixtures seem unkind to me-there seems to be some sort of mid season break. or are cup games to be played that weekend?anyone know?
The A League seems to be on a bye week that weekend unfortunately. But it looks like there's some lower league games on. You'll probably need to use Google translate but this should help

http://lietuvosfutbolas.lt/varzybos/vyru/i-lyga/

Yesterday's games here saw the Lausanne ultras continue the recently establish Swiss tradition of invading the park and attacking your own players when they get relegated. Their match v Thun was abandoned with a few minutes left and Thun winning 2-0. Players made it up the tunnel, ultras attempted to follow but instead took a detour out and back in via a side entrance. Lausanne General Manager was having a hefty shouting match with one of the fans, looked all set for a square go until security got between them. Basel's bi-polar form continued. A few days after beating the new champions YB 5-1, they were pumped 4-1 by FC Zürich. Sums their season up.

So Beitar Jerusalem are to rename their club Beitar Trump Jerusalem FC because of trumps decision to relocate the US embassy
Largely a symbolic gesture. iirc clubs in Israel are only able to name themselves after persons that are deceased. Loathsome move from a loathsome club regardless.

12 hours ago, Craig the Hunter said:

The A League seems to be on a bye week that weekend unfortunately. But it looks like there's some lower league games on. You'll probably need to use Google translate but this should help

http://lietuvosfutbolas.lt/varzybos/vyru/i-lyga/

just typical of my luck with fixtures.youd think, if theyre having a weekend off,during the forthcoming world cup would be the time.football administrators are the same the world over:(

14 hours ago, GNU_Linux said:
23 hours ago, mizfit said:
So Beitar Jerusalem are to rename their club Beitar Trump Jerusalem FC because of trumps decision to relocate the US embassy

Largely a symbolic gesture. iirc clubs in Israel are only able to name themselves after persons that are deceased. Loathsome move from a loathsome club regardless.

They make Rangers under Struth look like club of tolerance and social progress.

Three teams relegated from Eredivisie. Twente went down automatically, Roda and Sparta Rotterdam have gone down via the playoffs.

Replacing them are Fortuna Sittard (last in Eredivisie in the 2001/02 season), Emmen (who have never been in Eredivisie), and the winner of Almere City and De Graafschap (Almere City have never been in Eredivisie, De Graafschap in 2015/16).

58 minutes ago, Allan Jacobsen said:

Three teams relegated from Eredivisie. Twente went down automatically, Roda and Sparta Rotterdam have gone down via the playoffs.

Replacing them are Fortuna Sittard (last in Eredivisie in the 2001/02 season), Emmen (who have never been in Eredivisie), and the winner of Almere City and De Graafschap (Almere City have never been in Eredivisie, De Graafschap in 2015/16).

Graafschap are generally promoted and relegated in alternate seasons, seems to be part of the required make-up of the leagues; 1-1 at half time in the second leg of the playoff (first game finished 1-1); great to see Emmen go up - that's about a dozen attempts they've had at the nacompetitie before managing to do it - added bonus that Dick Advocaat, the Sparta boss, is fucking fuming about a non-penalty award during their game; the referee, by the way, gave an interview on TV after the game explaining his decision....

Edited by Herman Hessian

I am intensely satisfied by the relegation of Sparta Rotterdam; hardly do I ever cheer as hard as I do when that bunch go down. Their fans are the most stuck-up I've ever had the displeasure of running into, and the club itself is stuck in the past, thinking they're hot shit because they're the oldest pro club in the country and high class.

Fortuna Sittard has a Turkish chairman, who has ties with a load of agents; slightly shady, but the guy has proven to be a miracle maker, taking Fortuna from the bottom of our second tier to promotion. I will gladly tip them forspot 13/14 in next season's Eredivisie.

De Graafschap is a conundrum; they have incredible support in their part of the country, where they reign undisputedly. Their 12500 seat stadium is almost always filled to capacity, and is one of the hardest places to play in for the visiting team, with the fans always happy to intimidate and the seats nice and close to the pitch. Despite all this, the Superfarmers as they are known are a yo-yo club; this year, though, they have the best coach they could wish for, Henk de Jong, who lives and breathes the 'sturm und drang'-play the fans demand. They will no doubt be in the bottom three next season, but I hope they pull through and stick around because they are just a joy to have in the top flight.

FC Emmen is the wild card; close to promotion a bunch of times, but never quite there. This time around, they happened upon a hapless Sparta, which was well-beaten across two legs. This is the first time a team from the province of Drenthe will be in the top flight, and I hope it will be a stimulant to both the club and the region. No one gave a dime for Heracles' chances when they got promoted in 2005, but they turned into a stable mid table club. Emmen have undisputed dominance in their area, like De Graafschap, and a good coach in Dick Lukkien, who isn't afraid to let his team take initiative against stronger (on paper) opponents. Relegation candidate #1 next season, but it'd be brilliant to see them establish themselves. They play in very decent kit too, an inverse of the Ajax shirt supplied by an old Dutch brand.

I reckon VVV Venlo and Excelsior are pretty happy with the outcome of the relegation play-offs, but I wouldn't be surprised to see both in the relegation mix next season; both are losing their coaches, the sophomore year is always difficult in the Eredivisie (VVV is going into their second year), and Excelsior has the smallest  budget, stadium, and fanbase of all 18 teams. Meanwhile, FC Twente is the juggernaut in the second tier (and will probably not survive being there for longer than a single year, they are already 40 million or so in debt), Roda JC way too big for that level as well, NEC eager to push for promotion again (backed by their sugar daddy), while Go Ahead Eagles will have a rebuilt squad and Sparta might be able to conjure up a decent squad as well. The horrid Colt teams will also be present to ruin what would otherwise be a fair competition, so it's promising to be an exciting season for sure.

But who cares about that when SPARTA GOT RELEGATED! UP YOURS YOU p***kS! STAY DOWN THIS TIME!

As an Excelsior fan, I'm definitely happy with this. Obviously, I don't have much with Sparta either. I realise we will again be expected to be amongst the relegation candidates. But so were we the last 4 years and we stayed up each time. Wait and see I suppose.

The Eerste Divisie (2nd tier) is going to be a hell of a league next season. In terms of support, they got the 4th biggest team in the country (Twente) in there and 3 other massive clubs in Roda JC, NEC and Sparta. Also Go Ahead Eagles, Cambuur Leeuwarden and MVV are in size of support clubs that could easily be eredivisie. Comparable to Hearts, Hibs and Rangers all being in the Championship over here...

• 1 month later...
31 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

Former Rangers attacker Harry Forrester has joined Iranian side Tractor Sazi.

if ever there was a pre-season tournament needing the participation of that lot, Traktori Lushnje, Traktor Tashkent and Ipswich Town...

4 hours ago, Herman Hessian said:

if ever there was a pre-season tournament needing the participation of that lot, Traktori Lushnje, Traktor Tashkent and Ipswich Town...

:lol::lol::lol:

"the tournament was ok but the pitch was a shocker,like a ploughed field...."

• 2 weeks later...

any greek football enthusiasts on here?im in Athens in a couple of months and have been keeping an eye out for fixtures.however,despite the league usually starting in august none appear to be released-is there some issue with greek footie just now that's caused a problem eg court action or something?

16 minutes ago, highlandcowden said:

any greek football enthusiasts on here?im in Athens in a couple of months and have been keeping an eye out for fixtures.however,despite the league usually starting in august none appear to be released-is there some issue with greek footie just now that's caused a problem eg court action or something?

Aye or a massive fire

1 minute ago, highlandcowden said:

unless the greek fas offices were in that location I doubt thatd have any impact on them releasing their fixtures but thanks for the reply anyway

Perhaps they have delayed the fixtures because half their country is on fire was my point or even delayed announcing them.