First weekend thoughts?

queensferryspartan

I took in 2 games this weekend. Firstly Edinburgh City against Gretna followed by Stirling Uni v Spartans.

Edinburgh City did what they had to do to win the game without being overly impressive. Gretna were poor and lacked much going forward. Overall City deserved the win and will be difficult to beat this year. From a Spartans point of view Sean Mushin played well, and scored, i would have liked to have seen him back at Ainslie Park this year, but sadly he has moved on.

Today was my first visit to Fortbank. A good game ending in a 1-1 draw. Spartans were the better team in the first half but couldn't score. The Uni scored first in the second half and Spartans fought back well to claim a draw. However i think deserved all 3 points today. With some players missing our squad may not be the strongest in the league but there was some promising play today and given a few games the team will improve.

For me Thomson played well at the back along with Stevenson and Greenhill in midfield. Murray put in a good shift up front and deserved his goal.

All in all a decent game today. The Uni will cause teams problems this season which should make for an interesting season.

Was at the city game yesterday, some poor defending and decision making by the Gretna defence cost them yesterday, and some poor finishing. If it went on chances and shots on goal, Gretna would have won this on another day!, city just do what they do and that is grind out results , wasn't there best performance but that's what good teams do, still grind out results even on a bad day.

Think it will pan out pretty much the same as last season, with the same teams lower half of table , as these teams don't seem to have improved or brought in any real quality, if anything probably poorer than last season. Kilbride, Bsc, ed city, Spartans, Gretna, Stirling, Dalbeattie. Fight it out as usual.

Was at the city game yesterday, some poor defending and decision making by the Gretna defence cost them yesterday, and some poor finishing. If it went on chances and shots on goal, Gretna would have won this on another day!, city just do what they do and that is grind out results , wasn't there best performance but that's what good teams do, still grind out results even on a bad day.

Think it will pan out pretty much the same as last season, with the same teams lower half of table , as these teams don't seem to have improved or brought in any real quality, if anything probably poorer than last season. Kilbride, Bsc, ed city, Spartans, Gretna, Stirling, Dalbeattie. Fight it out as usual.

Ha and you've seen all these teams play pre season likes to justify :)

:lol: now who have you missed out!? I think we've GOT OUR answer to the,,,,,,,?question!!!

I take it Threave have improved vastly on last season then...

Missed the City game, I was on holiday. We shall see what Wednesday is like- probably a good time of year to be playing the tax dodgers...

I think most teams will do well to come away wining a point at Forthbank but after today's performance I felt we were unlucky to come away with just a point.

After a nervy 1st 1/2 from both sides we took control of the game by the finish of the 1st 1/2 but couldn't convert any of our chances. We dominated the 2nd 1/2 & gifted the Uni their goal as Sluds the ex-Spartan nipping in to open his Uni account again. At the other end another of our old boys Jack Nixon played out of his socks & looks like he'll be a top signing for them too. We managed to keep Geddes quiet well in footballing terms, maybe it was a bit too soon for him & he'll pick up the pace when he gets more games under his belt.

I'll stick the highlights up tomorrow all being well & relive all our opportunities.

Grimbo

What you think of your latest acquisition from Tayport Grim ?

Mark went on to better things.

I suspect Thomo will show up better in LL than top level juniors.

Quite a silky defender, but a bit of a bombscare under physical pressure.

What you think of your latest acquisition from Tayport Grim ?

Mark went on to better things.

I suspect Thomo will show up better in LL than top level juniors.

Quite a silky defender, but a bit of a bombscare under physical pressure.

Early days Soups, different gravy to Sivey so not comparable but I like the look of him, Big Ally took a sore one yesterday & Sammy had to pull him off early, luckily we've got strength in depth to repair the damage.

Think Thommo was outstanding yesterday but he wasn't alone. Glad Minty got a goal his effort was superb but like I said everyone put in a decent effort & l'm still struggling to see how we came away with only 1 point.

Grimbo

Pretty fair assessment of the match. Although City's young keeper playing as a trialist, deserves special mention. He made at least two tremendous saves.

Not as one sided as the OP and scoreline suggest.

Lazarus

Pretty fair assessment of the match. Although City's young keeper playing as a trialist, deserves special mention. He made at least two tremendous saves.

Not as one sided as the OP and scoreline suggest.

Lazarus

Bloody hell, I was almost organizing a whip round for a search party for you Cic, glad you've arisen!

Sounds a bit like your team got off to a dozy start too.

Grimbo

Bloody hell, I was almost organizing a whip round for a search party for you Cic, glad you've arisen!

Sounds a bit like your team got off to a dozy start too.

Grimbo

Cmon Grimbo - you know wot teachers are like wae their holidays !! ;)

Cmon Grimbo - you know wot teachers are like wae their holidays !! ;)

Aye that's true Voddy,, happy to slap us in detention but give the do not disturb sign for the summer time hmmmn?

Grimbo

Grim, when are the highlights going up??

I got meself a new editing program but it's doing my tits in. Think I'll go back to moviemaker.

I 'm on a works night out this afternoon so looks like it's going to be a busy Sunday with a Spartans triple bill.

I've got the Stirling game all mapped out but can't get the slo-mo replays to work, it just puts the whole footage either in slo-mo or not at all.

Grimbo

Archived