Stirling Albion vs Clyde

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Two mediocre sides, you would be pushed to pick a decent 11 from the players who appeared. Fair play to the 50 or so choir in the away stand they kept going through a fairly dire game. The game had 0-0 written all over the it, soft penalty but hard to argue with, but the handball at the other end !!!

It's hard to believe that the officials managed to meet the eyesight test for a driving licence, perhaps they don't have licences. I wouldn't want to be on the same stretch of road as any of them if they were in a car.

Clyde look a bit us - solid enough in defence but punchless. On this performance neither side looks capable of winning the league, both teams might have just enough to scrape into a play off place though.

Two mediocre sides, you would be pushed to pick a decent 11 from the players who appeared. Fair play to the 50 or so choir in the away stand they kept going through a fairly dire game. The game had 0-0 written all over the it, soft penalty but hard to argue with, but the handball at the other end !!!

It's hard to believe that the officials managed to meet the eyesight test for a driving licence, perhaps they don't have licences. I wouldn't want to be on the same stretch of road as any of them if they were in a car.

Clyde look a bit us - solid enough in defence but punchless. On this performance neither side looks capable of winning the league, both teams might have just enough to scrape into a play off place though.

Agree with some of what you say i think out front three will have different rolls going forward in the future but the fact its the first game of the league we are a bit harsh in our thoughts

Well honestly now. Yellow cards. Red cards. Supporters being ejected. Homophobic vitriol. Violence before, during and after the match… I enjoyed it.

But why dwell on the positives? That’s what Ephesia always says.

The first thirty or so minutes elapsed without excitement and play seldom built its way out of the middle third of the pitch. Thereafter there were perhaps one or two trials for each goalkeeper but nothing ominous.

It has been said that Clyde were on balance the better side in the first half. I think that’s an optimistic appraisal. Although I wouldn’t say the opposite was true. There were at least as many reasons for Clyde to fret about what the next half had it store as there were for Stirling. And despite the dismissive remarks directed towards Craig Beattie above, the sheer presence of the old horse unsettled us. Smith and Bolochoweckyj’s partnership showed subtle signs of weakness in his shadow. Of course it would be harsh to hold anything against those two players. Newly partnered as they were. Both dug in and improvised effectively.

The first thirty minutes of the second half were enjoyed more by Stirling than Clyde. Players like Johnston and Comrie had an agility and guile which their opposites weren’t matching. With the energy of players like those, Stirling stretched play while advancing in good number and at speed. Clyde’s failure do to the same in the attacks which they launched on Stirling was irritating to watch.

The introduction of David Marsh in place of a gritty and composed but guileless and complacent Hugh Murray changed things – at first for the worse. In Murray’s absence the middle of the pitch was a red-carpet down which Stirling could saunter even more easily than before. Scott McLaughlin’s contribution to the match prior to and following this change was conspicuous only by its inconspicuousness. He trailed Stirling’s midfielders by an even greater distance than Murray and should perhaps have been the one to make way.

Entering the fray, Marsh brought power and guile to the right flank. Working that side with the comparably powerful and crafty Gormley, it was he who tipped the scales in Clyde’s favour. But it was very close to being a different story. Only a lack of humility would prevent a Clyde supporter from conceding as much. I allude to the penalty which Stirling ought to have had, of course.

A changeable arrangement of forward players was one of Barry Ferguson’s opening gambits yesterday. As has been said: it was a fruitless one and ought not to be retried.

A couple of original observations for this thread. One: Archie Campbell’s performances are likely to improve significantly as he becomes accustomed to playing in a side which is largely on the front foot. Two: lots of technical skill and intelligence on show from both sides today. This might’ve been a mediocre spectacle but that was more a consequence of the occasion than the limitations of the individuals on the field.

It’s far too early to predict how Stirling (or Clyde) will finish but with a bit of tinkering to remedy their indecisive and at times cumbersome play, I reckon they’d fair well.

Probably around 250-300 Clyde fans. Very decent for this division.

Clyde probably the better team but not much in it.

Not bad, I would think the last time we were there the support wouldn't have went much past the exit to the left of the stand.

Be interesting to see our home attendance next week.

post-18747-14391179738889_thumb.jpg

As much as we dominated in the first half we were pretty toothless. Never felt that the front 3 were working well together and lumping the ball up to Higgins, for as much as he tried, wasn't going to work. Keeper made an excellent save from Bolo but Gibson pulled out a few good saves in the first half. Pretty dominant in possession but nothing more than that.

Second half we started pretty poorly and continued that way until Marsh came on. Defence had less protection but we needed his drive in midfield and he was exactly what we were missing. I'd start him every week. He played very well in midfield at the end of last season so I've been surprised to see he hasn't been starting lately.

Gormley's going to be a handful for the opposition this season and it was clear to see that Higgins is a very smart player. Once we figure how to get the best out of the two of them up front we'll do well. Defence looks settled and Smith was a rock. Linton played very well too. Felt we were a bit weak in the midfield but we were constantly being out numbered, at least we have options to rectify this.

Think it'll take a while to get a system that works for us but once we are settled we should be good. If we're lucky and manage to dodge injuries we should be pushing for the play-offs at least.

Loved the celebrations after the goal and at full time, the photo that was posted on the previous page is a belter.

Archived