Dumbarton v Hibernian FC Club

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great start to the league campaign for us, no doubt about it. Sure we rode our luck a wee bit at times but the attitude throughout the team was excellent. Hibs huffed and puffed but created very little of real incision, even their goal came via a defensive clearance and a farcical attempt at defending it.We need to approach next week's game at Paisley with exactly the same attitude and concentration levels - well done today guys !

This.

We did really well today, considering we're almost a brand ne team. Pass marks to everyone. After Chase lost us the equaliser, I don't think he put another foot wrong. And Willie Gibson's winner was excellent. Well done the Sons - a huge scalp early doors.

And that big flag at the Hibs end........instead of saying Prestonpans Hibs, it should have said Gibson pans Hibs.

Well, that was a rather excellent day. Superb performance and finally a win against one of the 'big teams'.

Stevie got his man management of the Garry Fleming situation absolutely spot on, handing him a start and the armband was a bold move. But he lead by example and put in one of the finest performances I've seen from any player in a Sons shirt in recent times. Stee applauded him off and hugged him as he was subbed. A true masterclass in how to manage a difficult situation.

Craig and Fleming upfront was also a bold decision, but one which ultimately paid dividends. Craig's strength, aerial prowess and hold up play was outstanding. He looks like the sort of striker we've missed since Jimmy Lister left.

It was his chasing down of a long ball, and subsequent strength which created the chance for the first goal. Drawing fouls from players in dangerous situations with Gibson in our team is an excellent skill to have.

The free-kick was defended horribly and Buchanan had an easy task to poke the ball home. It's great to see us finally scoring goals from set plays - Buchy in particular seems to cause a lot of problems in the opposition penalty area. That's three goals he's now scored at the CID if you include a header for Airdrie in 2013!

Malonga's goal was the result of horrible defending by Andy Graham. It looked as if he was towing a motorhome which was towing a jet-ski never mind the standard cliche of a caravan! He should've just stuck his foot through it and launched it into the High Street. It was however the only time he made a mistake in the entire game, his bravery when defending is second to none.

Scott Allan seemed awfully upset at Willie having his sleeves rolled up. Kept gesturing that at him...I assume that's what he was saying and wasn't doing an Anelka gestury thing anyway!

Broon kept us in with a series of decent saves, but we always looked very strong on the break. The tactic of leaving more than nobody up when the opponents have a corner is a smashing one. Something we all wished Muzz Ian Murray would do last year.

Then Willie produced one of the best moments in all my time following the club. What a free kick. But the celebration was even better, tearing past Allan with a smug grin and then 'shooshing' the Hibs fans. God I'd hate him if he played against us, but he doesn't so :wub:

The way we defended for the last 15 minutes or so was expert. We didn't go deep too early and - unlike last season - all the players seemed to know what role to perform in and out of possession.

Taggart I felt was excellent, strong getting forward but completely marked Allan out of the game. It's mental that we played David Van Zanten ahead of him last season. Docherty on the other side also put in his best performance in a Sons' shirt so far...not that that'd be hard given that in the two games I'd seen him play he'd gifted the opposition a goal and been sent off 5 minutes after coming on :lol:

Routledge performed his role expertly and Cawley and Gibson are two of the hardest working wingers I've ever seen. Always tracking back and not scared to put in a tackle. Gallagher just looks better and better - and like Jordan Henderson.

Considering they've never played together the Fleming/Craig partnership looks like a good un already. Who played upfront with Craig when Thistle won the league? Was it Doolan? If so I can see the partnership working very well in the future too. I wouldn't want to be a centre half up against those two. Very, very physical strikers. Garry is getting more and more intelligent on the ball as well, his decision making and finishing have improved incredibly since he first joined the club.

Football is back :) Just a shame we didn't get any coverage on Radio Scotland on the way home, they always seemed to have extended interviews when we lost last year :(

Bring on Muzz whoever our last manager was' mob next week! First time I'll ever have been at NSMP, another one to tick off the list!

Good post s08. Wasn't there today and that's gave me a good idea of how players performed.

Chuffed for fleming, I thought it was a cert he would have been dropped after last week.

Buzzing for St mirren next week!

That has to be one of the worst performances i've seen from a hibs side in many years. We really shouldn't be losing these games if we want to win the league and it's now a very possibility we could be 6 points behind Rangers in 2 weeks time.

The hibs fans fighting in our end :lol:

I am old enough to remember Sons beating Hibs before. The last time I think was a 3-2 victory at Easter Rd in the Premier League season 1984-85 - a game where Pat Stanton decided that enough was enough for him as manager. More that 30 years ago!

Others have defined today's game better than I can but really, this is probably the best Dumbarton performance for many a year against a team whom on paper should have beat them easily. Garry Fleming was absolutely brilliant and thoroughly deserved his ovation when he left the field. However there wasn't a bad performance from any man in a Dumbarton shirt. Gibson's free kick was f*cking amazing. Pleased to see the new confidence of three men remaining in the opposing half when we were defending set pieces. Christ! we didn't even do that against Alloa last season!

More dig and effort in today's performance than anything achieved last season. Great to see Steven Craig challenging for balls instead of the Colin Nish ducking aeroplane manoeuvre.

More beer please waiter!

15th step 1984 sons won 3-2 Arthur Kay m McGowan t coyle McNeill mccahill ashwood Craig p McGowan Crawley j coyle subs mccaig Simpson. Scorers t coyle1 j coyle2. It seems like yesterday.

The best though was a 4-1 victory in the League Cup in the 73/74 season against a Hibs team containing Schaedler, Blackley, Stanton, O'Rourke, Gordon, Duncan etc.

That has to be one of the worst performances i've seen from a hibs side in many years. We really shouldn't be losing these games if we want to win the league and it's now a very possibility we could be 6 points behind Rangers in 2 weeks time.

The hibs fans fighting in our end :lol:

Where did you copy and paste that from?

Archived