andriod boxes / Kodi

5 minutes ago, bopolopoluss1 said:

:lol: I thought everyone knew about real-debrid services by now. If you want to download a series you can do that too. Anything you've watched via real debrid on Kodi will show up in your account section on realdebrid.com alongside a download link. Handy if you like to stockpile.

Yeah, noticed it keeps a track of what you watch.

See, now Im starting to think you've been keeping this to yourself for months, laughing at us poor peasants struggling with Kodi :(

Open revolt and rebellion is the only logical course of action 

Can someone give me a quick idiots guide to using an Android box please .
1)whats best for movies and tv
2)Do I need a VPN
3) What is a VPN
4) How do you use a VPN
5) What else can an Android box do?

Thank you.

I follow the teachings of a guy called Free Tech on YouTube. Droll Yorkshire man but his tutorials are spot on for a thicko like me.

3 hours ago, McQuade said:

Can someone give me a quick idiots guide to using an Android box please .

1)whats best for movies and tv

2)Do I need a VPN

3) What is a VPN

4) How do you use a VPN

5) What else can an Android box do?

Thank you.

1) Live? Probably IPTV. On demand, read back on the debrid stuff or try the Showbox or Terrarium apps

2) No, not really

3) Virtual Private Network. Reroutes all your internet traffic so you can appear to be in a different country. Also helps keep your browsing private

4) Install it and follow the instructions of whichever one you choose

5) Anything an android tablet can

1 minute ago, McQuade said:

Cheers, The VPN stuff I keep hearing that I might still use one?

Its really up to you. For some stuff its probably safer and if you want to watch EPL games you might find you need one.

Its not necessary to have one but theres no real downside, unless you get a free/bad one that kills your internet speed

Its really up to you. For some stuff its probably safer and if you want to watch EPL games you might find you need one.
Its not necessary to have one but theres no real downside, unless you get a free/bad one that kills your internet speed

I took the plunge and paid for IPVanish. It's supposed to be Torrent friendly but I noticed a massive difference in speed. I was downloading at 5 MB/s, switched to IPVanish to see what difference it made...250kb/s. I was on the Glasgow server and reading into it the UK and US ones are to be avoided when using Torrents. I'll try another couple to see if that makes any difference. It's hard to say for certain as maybe a couple of seeders dropped off, rather than the VPN being the main cause.

16 hours ago, Kennboy1978 said:

I took the plunge and paid for IPVanish. It's supposed to be Torrent friendly but I noticed a massive difference in speed. I was downloading at 5 MB/s, switched to IPVanish to see what difference it made...250kb/s. I was on the Glasgow server and reading into it the UK and US ones are to be avoided when using Torrents. I'll try another couple to see if that makes any difference. It's hard to say for certain as maybe a couple of seeders dropped off, rather than the VPN being the main cause.

Thats pretty much why Ive never bothered. I know its a different thing but the DNS switchers I used to use for Netflix killed the internet speed.

I generally just use the built in VPN in Opera to browse torrent sites and then dont bother with one for downloading.

What's the current consensus about the best Kodi box to buy?

I've got a Firestick but want to upgrade to something a bit better to use on my other TV.

Ideally with:

Optional Wired Ethernet connection,

Ability to install VPN client,

Budget is flexible. I am a bit concerned that the glory days of streaming may be coming to an end so I don't want to spend a massive amount on something that may be useless in a few months.

Cheers.

1 hour ago, SramTon said:

What's the current consensus about the best Kodi box to buy?

I've got a Firestick but want to upgrade to something a bit better to use on my other TV.

Ideally with:

Optional Wired Ethernet connection,

Ability to install VPN client,

Budget is flexible. I am a bit concerned that the glory days of streaming may be coming to an end so I don't want to spend a massive amount on something that may be useless in a few months.

Cheers.

The box you buy wont make any difference to whether or not the days of streaming are coming to an end - the glory days are well and truly gone already.

Look for something with octo-cores and a decent amount of RAM thats 4K compatible.

The box you buy wont make any difference to whether or not the days of streaming are coming to an end - the glory days are well and truly gone already.
Look for something with octo-cores and a decent amount of RAM thats 4K compatible.

I maybe shouldn't have said "glory days", what I really meant was the end of dodgy streaming altogether.

The box I buy obviously won't affect that, but I'm mindful of whatever box I buy potentially being redundant in 3/6/12 months because there's no Kodi streams available. For that reason I'm a bit more budget conscious.

10 hours ago, SramTon said:

I maybe shouldn't have said "glory days", what I really meant was the end of dodgy streaming altogether.

The box I buy obviously won't affect that, but I'm mindful of whatever box I buy potentially being redundant in 3/6/12 months because there's no Kodi streams available. For that reason I'm a bit more budget conscious.

Fair enough. Im not sure streaming will ever go completely but, as has been discussed on here a few times, it will get harder, probably to the point where most "normal" folk wont bother anymore.

You should be able to get a decent enough box for around £50

Wonder if anyone a bit more tech savvy than me could help me. I use kodi on a firestick and was watching the NFL on a stream of sky sports last night on my main tele in the living room no problem.. then moved up to spare room (after not so gentle persuasion from the GF) and every stream I tried would work fine but the sound would be extremely stuttery. I tried on another spare TV I had lying around and had the same issue. Moved back downstairs later and sound was perfect on the living room tv.

I'm assuming it's just a setting I need to change or something but have no idea what and can't find anything online. Had stuttery video before that I fixed by changing to 50Hz for British tv and 60Hz for US tv so thought it might a similar issue to that but not sure.

Any help appreciated :thumsup2.

Wonder if anyone a bit more tech savvy than me could help me. I use kodi on a firestick and was watching the NFL on a stream of sky sports last night on my main tele in the living room no problem.. then moved up to spare room (after not so gentle persuasion from the GF) and every stream I tried would work fine but the sound would be extremely stuttery. I tried on another spare TV I had lying around and had the same issue. Moved back downstairs later and sound was perfect on the living room tv.
I'm assuming it's just a setting I need to change or something but have no idea what and can't find anything online. Had stuttery video before that I fixed by changing to 50Hz for British tv and 60Hz for US tv so thought it might a similar issue to that but not sure.
Any help appreciated :thumsup2.

Where is your router ? You might have a poor WiFi signal upstairs.

If it's possible I would take the living room TV (as you know that's okay) upstairs to try it and see if the same issue occurs.

If not, take the spare and/or bedroom TV downstairs. If the problem persists then the issue is with the settings on the stick, rather than the WiFi signal strength.

27 minutes ago, Kennboy1978 said:

Where is your router ? You might have a poor WiFi signal upstairs.

If it's possible I would take the living room TV (as you know that's okay) upstairs to try it and see if the same issue occurs.

If not, take the spare and/or bedroom TV downstairs. If the problem persists then the issue is with the settings on the stick, rather than the WiFi signal strength.

I'll try that , I have good wifi so didn't think it would be that but the spare room is upstairs and opposite side of the house from the router in the living room so you may be right, cheers.