andriod boxes / Kodi

13 hours ago, boulderdomb said:

VPNs by-pass ISP blocks therefore if your add on is hosted on a server your ISP of choice (e.g Virgin Media) has blocked then you'll be unable to use that repo without a VPN - that's why some repo's will work and some won't. Another reason a repo won't work is because the server is temporarily/permanent down or your own firewall is blocking it.

1 hour ago, Mr X said:

Fair enough - I didnt realise any of the ISPs were blocking Kodi addons

ive yet to find an ISP for streams that virginmedia has blocked, they seem to focus only on sites like torrent sites, mind you i use a firestick and my exodis and sportsnation are working like a charm the now so maybe im just lucky

4 hours ago, 54_and_counting said:

ive yet to find an ISP for streams that virginmedia has blocked, they seem to focus only on sites like torrent sites, mind you i use a firestick and my exodis and sportsnation are working like a charm the now so maybe im just lucky

If your repo webscrapes a site that's blocked by your ISP or uses the same server a torrent site uses (I've found a few which do this) then it won't work without a VPN.

1 hour ago, supermik said:

Ok, finally I will have a bite. What the feck is a VPN and how do you make one work?

Virtual Private Network. They basically route your internet traffic via different routes to normal which makes it harder to track and allows you to appear to be somewhere you're not - eg watching a Scottish clubs game stream thats for non-UK residents.

To get one you have to set it up on your device, or router but you need to find a VPN service first. They will then have instructions on how to set it up. There are some free ones around but you'll only really get decent reliability and speed if you pay for one, like IPVanish

Virtual Private Network. They basically route your internet traffic via different routes to normal which makes it harder to track and allows you to appear to be somewhere you're not - eg watching a Scottish clubs game stream thats for non-UK residents.
To get one you have to set it up on your device, or router but you need to find a VPN service first. They will then have instructions on how to set it up. There are some free ones around but you'll only really get decent reliability and speed if you pay for one, like IPVanish

Can one install said thing on a Firestick?

Anyone here use Terrarium TV and Mobdro ?

I basically moved over to these 2 on my Fire TV after the issues with the Kodi addons. The adverts can be a bit of a pain in the arse but I'm finding it quicker and easier than Kodi, which I now only use for my SportsNation account.

I basically moved over to these 2 on my Fire TV after the issues with the Kodi addons. The adverts can be a bit of a pain in the arse but I'm finding it quicker and easier than Kodi, which I now only use for my SportsNation account.

Mobdro is my fave.

1 hour ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

I use Terrarium all the time. One of my favourite apps.

Wee question - I understand what a VPN is but why do people feel the need to put them on their android boxes?

I'm not an expert but I think mainly to hide their activity from their I.S.P. Other reasons are to access streams/sites blocked by their I.S.P. or by country.

Wee question - I understand what a VPN is but why do people feel the need to put them on their android boxes?

According to boulderbomb some ISPs are blocking sites that the add ons use. Using a vpn would get round this, in the same way it does with blocked torrent sites.

You could also use it to access Netflix content from other countries but as Netflix have been cracking down on that I don't know how reliable it would be.

3 hours ago, Mr X said:

That has a free version but then so do many others, but they're trying to get you to upgrade to the paid one. In my experience free VPNs aren't worth bothering with.

I've tried a few free ones, but this is the only one that I've stuck with.

Yes. they do try to get you to upgrade, but not aggressively so, it's not like they only give you an allotted number of hours to use it per day, before it cuts you off.

If you need a VPN to download torrents with, then you must pay for one, as you simply can't download a torrent using a free VPN, however, if all you do is browse, etc, then I don't see why you wouldn't use a free VPN. 

There's also a list of free Firestick VPNs: http://www.streaming1tv.com/2016/10/top-best-free-vpns-for-your-firestick.html

Edited by SlayerX

53 minutes ago, SlayerX said:

I've tried a few free ones, but this is the only one that I've stuck with.

Yes. they do try to get you to upgrade, but not aggressively so, it's not like they only give you an allotted number of hours to use it per day, before it cuts you off.

If you need a VPN to download torrents with, then you must pay for one, as you simply can't download a torrent using a free VPN, however, if all you do is browse, etc, then I don't see why you wouldn't use a free VPN. 

There's also a list of free Firestick VPNs: http://www.streaming1tv.com/2016/10/top-best-free-vpns-for-your-firestick.html

Free VPNs tend to be very slow.Its no coincidence that the paid for version offers faster speeds. Im not really sure why you would differentiate between downloading a torrent and other browsing. You dont need a VPN to download the torrents only to get around the ISP blocks on the major sites.

The free, built in, VPN in the newer versions of Opera is perfectly fine for browsing torrent sites.

2 hours ago, Mr X said:

Free VPNs tend to be very slow.Its no coincidence that the paid for version offers faster speeds. Im not really sure why you would differentiate between downloading a torrent and other browsing. You dont need a VPN to download the torrents only to get around the ISP blocks on the major sites.

The free, built in, VPN in the newer versions of Opera is perfectly fine for browsing torrent sites.

The main purpose of a VPN is to download torrents anonymously, as that's pretty much the only thing that can land a person in hot water. I don't think people get in trouble for browsing Sky Sports, etc.

You can browse torrent sites with a free VPN, but you can't use a torrent application using a free VPN, therefore, you are unable to download whatever it is that you are trying to download. You have to pay for that particular privilege.

Edited by SlayerX

2 minutes ago, SlayerX said:

The main purpose of a VPN is to download torrents anonymously, as that's pretty much the only thing that can land a person in hot water. I don't think people get in trouble for browsing Sky Sports, etc.

You can browse torrent sites with a free VPN, but you can't download a torrent using a free VPN. You have to pay for that particular privilege.

I disagree. The main purpose of a VPN is whatever the person using it does most. I use one to browse torrent sites, as they're all blocked by my ISP, but Ive never used one to actually download them. Ive also used one to change my Netflix region and access football clubs non-UK streaming services. For that, the built in Opera VPN has proved sufficient so far (except the Netflix bit)

Some free VPNs allow torrent downloads. They'll likely throttle the speed or limit downloads but its still possible. As I said, you dont need a VPN at all to download torrents

1 minute ago, Mr X said:

I disagree. The main purpose of a VPN is whatever the person using it does most. I use one to browse torrent sites, as they're all blocked by my ISP, but Ive never used one to actually download them. Ive also used one to change my Netflix region and access football clubs non-UK streaming services. For that, the built in Opera VPN has proved sufficient so far (except the Netflix bit)

Some free VPNs allow torrent downloads. They'll likely throttle the speed or limit downloads but its still possible. As I said, you dont need a VPN at all to download torrents

Fair enough. I use my VPN when I'm viewing Kodi, etc, so I suppose it's only as useful as the person who is using it, and how they are using it.

No. No free VPNs are compatible with Torrent applications. Once you open up a program like Utorrent, via the free VPN, the connection doesn't allow you to actually download the thing you are trying to download.