andriod boxes / Kodi

I changed from sky to Virgin a while ago. Still have satellite cables there doing nothing and don't have an aerial connected to that Tv for freeview.

Just wondered if anyone had one and it worked ok and picked up all freesat channels.

Also, I saw that the more expensive ones do have a card reader slot so I wasn't sure if it was possible to use them similar to the skybox f5 type set up.

Edited by CLANCY2KTID

You should be able to connect the old Sat cables to either a freesat box or a skyboxF5 though to get premium channels on the skybox, i would suspect the 'package' that is being paid for on the box is still valid. I had a 3 lnb satellite at my old home and had a different type of ahem Satbox, but ive recently moved and the sky cables etc were already installed in my new house which meant i set my box up exactly as it was before

You should be able to connect the old Sat cables to either a freesat box or a skyboxF5 though to get premium channels on the skybox, i would suspect the 'package' that is being paid for on the box is still valid. I had a 3 lnb satellite at my old home and had a different type of ahem Satbox, but ive recently moved and the sky cables etc were already installed in my new house which meant i set my box up exactly as it was before

Already having Kodi, I'm still debating whether to get an f5 box or not. Just for the picture quality.

Ive always found Kodi a bit hit and miss to be honest. Not keen on it for live sports however add ons like Genesis, Showbox etc are great for tv progs and films

I agree, although I now pay a subscription to Sports Donkey and it does make a big difference to the quality of streams available to me. On Saturday there was around 6 or 7 different EPL games all in Hd.

I just worry about how long it'll be until it gets shut down and I'm back to square one. That's why I was considering an f5 box they seem to be pretty stable.

This. Do you get the subscription channels on an f5 box? If so, how?

Best case scenario is to ask around for anyone in your area that has one. They'll be able to hook you up with whoever installed it. A few of the boys in my local have them.

They need reprogramming with new codes every six or twelve months. I think you can buy the codes online but I'm not sure how reliable that'd be, if you have an installer he'd do it for you.

Best case scenario is to ask around for anyone in your area that has one. They'll be able to hook you up with whoever installed it. A few of the boys in my local have them.

They need reprogramming with new codes every six or twelve months. I think you can buy the codes online but I'm not sure how reliable that'd be, if you have an installer he'd do it for you.

In other words, they have to stay one step ahead of Skys encryption? Probably save a few quid, I guess but not worth it, IMO.

£100 a year seems to be the going rate, alot better than £80 a month.

While it works. It could stop working at any time and then you're left waiting for the next hack. £100 a year to some guy that you've no come back on and no guarantee you'll get what you've paid for.

Fair dos if you're happy to take the risk ... and break the law, of course.

How easy are the pre-loaded ones to update with new software?

Been looking at Fire TV sticks and android boxes and not sure which one to go for. I'm sure i could install the stuff I need on the Fire stick, and kind of like the idea that amazon is a bit more reputable than a random off ebay, but i'm not sure if i'm better just paying for a fully loaded one and going from there?

Looking at the Minx X8H+ fully loaded vs the fire stick which i'd have to install myself.

Any advice or comments?

While it works. It could stop working at any time and then you're left waiting for the next hack. £100 a year to some guy that you've no come back on and no guarantee you'll get what you've paid for.

Fair dos if you're happy to take the risk ... and break the law, of course.

Isn't watching tv/film/sport through Kodi etc illegal as well though.

Akin to downloading music from piratebay?

God yes!

Its a grey area and you could debate the rights and wrongs for ever, but I think you are more likely to fall foul of the law buying an f5 box and hacking Skys encryption than you are buying a Kodi box. I might be wrong, of course.

Its not really like downloading from pirate bay, watching via kodi its just for your own viewing whereas downloading from TPB you are essentially uploading as well, (sharing ;) ) and thats what you would be done for.

Picked my box up from the post office. I came with kodi on it already and a few other apps. So far I would say movies are very hit and miss, TV shows are all watchable but not HD, live streaming I'll probably find out about over the weekend.

Don't think it would replace sky or virgin, it only cost me about £20 - £25 all in so think there'll be enough to get my moneys worth from the TV series.

How easy are the pre-loaded ones to update with new software?

Been looking at Fire TV sticks and android boxes and not sure which one to go for. I'm sure i could install the stuff I need on the Fire stick, and kind of like the idea that amazon is a bit more reputable than a random off ebay, but i'm not sure if i'm better just paying for a fully loaded one and going from there?

Looking at the Minx X8H+ fully loaded vs the fire stick which i'd have to install myself.

Any advice or comments?

I have that Minix box and I love it, use it for Kodi and as an emulator to play all the old PS2/Gamecube/Nintendo games with my PS3 controller. I personally wouldn't be arsed with a "fully loaded" one, its easy enough to set up yourself with tutorials.

Picked my box up from the post office. I came with kodi on it already and a few other apps. So far I would say movies are very hit and miss, TV shows are all watchable but not HD, live streaming I'll probably find out about over the weekend.

Don't think it would replace sky or virgin, it only cost me about £20 - £25 all in so think there'll be enough to get my moneys worth from the TV series.

I get all my movies and sports in HD no problem although I have taken out a paid sub for sports. I pay £26 for 6 months and its got just about every sports channel and even imaginable on it, all in HD and incredibly stable.

After a little bit of playing around with the box, I'm using dexter TV as it seems to have sky sports on it to a good quality. I have genisis and phoenix on it, the movies and shows are certainly watchable on it but not 1080 HD.