andriod boxes / Kodi

Exodus now loading films and stuff. Didn't uninstall anything or that. Just reinstalled the exodus repo and installed it. Now working. Fantastic. Must have been something to do with updates. 

WOOHOO.

13 minutes ago, King Dom's Moustache said:

You get entertainment channels & movies on demand. Isn't worth it IMO. I wish I had just went with the sports only package because I use UK Turks for everything else.

Cool, sound!  So it doesn't enhance streaming of sports or that?

f**k just noticed, that friend can renew subscription until Sunday as it's closed for the boxing and it ran out yesterday :lol: 

1 hour ago, Mr X said:

Well, there we go, confirmation that fully loaded boxes and streaming subscription or paid for content is illegal

https://www.eveningtelegraph.co.uk/fp/landmark-case-makes-fully-loaded-tv-streaming-boxes-illegal/

at least while we're still in the EU that is.

Yes, to sell the fully loaded boxes, however I do not see where it is illegal to watch it once purchaced?

Just now, johnnydun said:

Yes, to sell the fully loaded boxes, however I do not see where it is illegal to watch it once purchaced?

How can they tell if it's fully loaded?  It's pretty simple to add Kodi to firestick regardless?

Best place to watch the boxing if not sportsnation?  Stuck with MamaHD? 

4 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

The new ruling puts pirated streams on the same legal footing as illegal downloads.

It said the underlying technology of the players was legal, but noted that the boxes were often configured in a way that promoted piracy.

It is widely believed that streaming material instead of downloading it means you aren’t infringing copyright, but in this case the European Court said there was no difference between the two.

ETA - I take issue with their statement that it was "widely believed". It was something sellers tried to use to get round the law but I doubt anyone with any common sense actually believed it.

Edited by Mr X

1 minute ago, Bambino7 said:

How can they tell if it's fully loaded?  It's pretty simple to add Kodi to firestick regardless?

Best place to watch the boxing if not sportsnation?  Stuck with MamaHD? 

I think its intended to stop people selling the boxes advertised as fully loaded. If you look on Amazon now there are none advertised as fully loaded but there are still people selling the boxes themselves. As you say, its easy enough to install Kodi if you're reasonable technically minded, there are plenty of people who arent, though, and they'll be the ones put off buying a box.

6 minutes ago, Mr X said:

I think its intended to stop people selling the boxes advertised as fully loaded. If you look on Amazon now there are none advertised as fully loaded but there are still people selling the boxes themselves. As you say, its easy enough to install Kodi if you're reasonable technically minded, there are plenty of people who arent, though, and they'll be the ones put off buying a box.

Yeah fair call. 

Cool, sound!  So it doesn't enhance streaming of sports or that?
f**k just noticed, that friend can renew subscription until Sunday as it's closed for the boxing and it ran out yesterday :lol: 

Nah all it does is give you entertainment channels and movies on demand.

11 minutes ago, Mr X said:

ETA - I take issue with their statement that it was "widely believed". It was something sellers tried to use to get round the law but I doubt anyone with any common sense actually believed it.

I read the 2 page press release from the european court and it is all about selling, distribution and copying. Nothing stating that watching the streams was illegal.

8 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

I read the 2 page press release from the european court and it is all about selling, distribution and copying. Nothing stating that watching the streams was illegal.

The very first lines say

The sale of a multimedia player which enables films that are available illegally on the internet to be viewed easily and for free on a television screen could constitute an infringement of copyright. The temporary reproduction on a multimedia player of a copyright-protected work obtained by streaming is not exempt from the right of reproduction

Theres then a higlighted section on the next page

The Court also finds that temporary acts of reproduction, on that multimedia player, of a copyright protected work obtained by streaming on a website belonging to a third party offering that work without the consent of the copyright holder, cannot be exempted from the right of reproduction.

The case itself was brought against someone selling boxes but the wording of the findings is pretty clear - it considers the streams themselves in breach of copyright and illegal.

ETA - mucked up quote boxes!

Edited by Mr X

2 minutes ago, Mr X said:

The very first lines say

Yes but, (appologies if I am being thick here) what Im getting from this is that streaming can not be exempt from right of reproduction, however if you do not reproduce this then whats illegal?

Does that make sense? 

The watcher is therefor not reproducing, it is the third party that is.

33 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

Yes but, (appologies if I am being thick here) what Im getting from this is that streaming can not be exempt from right of reproduction, however if you do not reproduce this then whats illegal?

Does that make sense? 

The watcher is therefor not reproducing, it is the third party that is.

I think you're making the same argument as the sellers did - that the streaming is not reproduction. The ruling pretty clear says it is.