EoS Predictions (1st, 4th & 5th August)

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another good performance against Stirling uni yesterday. Game of two halves regarding the wind. Stirling started strongly and scored about 25 mins into the game. Strangeways then equalised 5 mins before half time. Second half we had the momentum with the wind. Second half sub Beesley made it two with 20 mins to go.

Really entertaining game and credit to Stirling who played well but unfortunately the talking point was the referee. Lost count on how many cards he dished out to both teams and yet there wasn't a bad tackle in the game. Thats Duns had 3 games and in all 3 the refs have been poor.

Another good performance against Stirling uni yesterday. Game of two halves regarding the wind. Stirling started strongly and scored about 25 mins into the game. Strangeways then equalised 5 mins before half time. Second half we had the momentum with the wind. Second half sub Beesley made it two with 20 mins to go.

Really entertaining game and credit to Stirling who played well but unfortunately the talking point was the referee. Lost count on how many cards he dished out to both teams and yet there wasn't a bad tackle in the game. Thats Duns had 3 games and in all 3 the refs have been poor.

Thing is,in comparative terms, the refs are at the same standard as the players. They operate at about the same 'tier' of the refereeing ladder as the players operate within the football ladder. Most players make more mistakes in each game than the ref does and he or she are involved in every action- unlike the players.

As frustrating as it is when errors are made its what can probably be expected at this level of football I'm afraid.

Thing is,in comparative terms, the refs are at the same standard as the players. They operate at about the same 'tier' of the refereeing ladder as the players operate within the football ladder. Most players make more mistakes in each game than the ref does and he or she are involved in every action- unlike the players.

As frustrating as it is when errors are made its what can probably be expected at this level of football I'm afraid.

A do see your point buddy. Another thing that a few supporters were talking about yesterday is why is there no linesman in this league? With it being one league now its surely freed up extra refs??

How many extra refs has it freed up? Last season there were 9 teams in the Premier (maximum of 4 league games per fixture day) and in the 1st there were 8 teams (also a maximum of 4 games).

Now there are 16 teams in one division so a maximum of 8 games.

Where do the additional 16 officials come from to have assistants?

On any given weekend there are now 7 LL, 8 EOSL and 7 SOSL = 22 games which is more than there used to be. Immediately before LL was formed (2012-13) there were 13 EOSL and 6 SOSL = 19 games.

All LL games must have assistants hence they're now rare as hen's teeth in EOSL and SOSL, despite new recruitment having apparently increased their numbers. In the past most/all EOSL Premier games and a few SOSL games would get assistants.

Nowadays only 4 SPFL divisions, Highland & Lowland, Junior Superleagues (and West Juniors tier 2) and Womens SPL appear to routinely receive assistants. Any leftovers get spread among EOSL, SOSL and East Juniors tier 2.

e.g. this weekend:

http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/football_document_libraries.cfm?page=2061

* SPFL - 21 sets of assistants + 7 fourth officials, i.e. every game + fourth officals for Premiership and a Championship TV game

* Highland - 9 sets of assistants, i.e. every game

* Lowland - 7 sets of assistants, i.e. every game

* North Juniors - ? (according to Junior posters these are provided under local arrangements)

* East Juniors - 9 sets of assistants, i.e. Superleague + 1 other game

* West Juniors - 11 sets of assistants, i.e. SuperPremier and 5/7 of SuperFirst

* EOS League - none

* SOS League - none

* Womens SPL (last weekend) - 6 sets of assistants, i.e. every game

* Womens SFL - none

Only further new recruitment could improve things, as there isn't a surplus of referees in the Amateurs, indeed often quite the opposite.

A do see your point buddy. Another thing that a few supporters were talking about yesterday is why is there no linesman in this league? With it being one league now its surely freed up extra refs??

The ref in our game wasnt the best either, couple goal kicks given that should have been corners against. Offsides are obviously the hardest when there not along the line.

The ref in our game wasnt the best either, couple goal kicks given that should have been corners against. Offsides are obviously the hardest when there not along the line.

Agreed, he let a lot go for both teams. Tried to play the advantage lot of the times but didn't work.

The refs on the tv get it wrong all the time , and that's with lines men every week .So one man in the middle of the park on his own has little chance being in the right place all the time to get it right on off sides , and I think most of us that go to east of Scotland games understand that . He is not going to get every foul right every penalty decision correct , so hey ho ! we all just have to take the rough with the smooth .Some weeks you will get the rub of the green others you wont .

The problem that I have is , refs running about flashing cards after 2 minutes , the game has not even taken shape at that stage , come on refs lets use some common sense . You are there to blend into the background make sure fair play takes place and no one gets hurt .Flash the cards if they want to kick lumps out of each other and want to fight. Seen 3 games this season so far 2red cards , god only knows how many yellows, and I am not sure if I have seen a bad tackle yet , all the games were played in a good spirit , with all teams trying to play football.

So lets be on here speaking about some young kid being star of the show , not speaking about some referee that has stole the leading role for himself .

Archived