Scottish FA Youth Cup 2015/16

Hughsie

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is a corker of a result. How have Selkirk fared before in this competition?

They made the Last 16 last season, which is why they entered directly at R3 this season. However, their U20 side folded in January and resigned from EOS U20s League, and they haven't one this season.

Normally in such cases a boys club is roped-in or players are cobbled-together specially.

I played in a frankly awful boys club team and we got spanked every week, double digits.

But we never lost 25 nil!!

You probably weren't playing against one of the better u20's professional set ups though.

Anyway, 4th round gets underway on Saturday with Queen of the South v Cumbernauld Colts at Palmerston, 1pm kick off.

With Queens having a week off at first team level there will hopefully be a half decent crowd to watch this.

While it's always nice to see us win 25-0, what's the point? I'm more thinking from Selkirk point of view - if they don't actually have an u20 team and have to patch one together or use a local boys club, only to take such a beating, who is it actually benefitting? Must be horrible for the Selkirk boys, and the Ayr boys aren't going to learn anything much you wouldn't think

I can only think that, having reached R4 last season and therefore having a R3 slot this season, they felt an obligation to themselves to give it a try. Entry is optional, there is no prizemoney, and I doubt it induced players to sign for LL team.

They're not alone with it - e.g. Dalbeattie also had a 'bespoke' team - but as I said on another thread, maybe it should be limited to U20 teams.

The other thing is that its part of the Youth Cup that clubs play matches at their own registered ground. For clubs like Selkirk then it offers a rare opportunity for players to play at some of the country's top grounds and for officials to visit them. Not sure what the make up of their side is but i guess they maybe have a few first team players young enough to be involved. That might just be a factor in entering.

Draw for the 4th round:

1. St. Johnstone v Hamilton Academical or Celtic

2. Queen of the South v Cumbernauld Colts

3. Motherwell v Kilmarnock

4. Greenock Morton v Ross County

5. Dundee United v Dundee

6. St. Mirren v Rangers

7. Selkirk or Ayr United v Airdrieonians

8. Heart of Midlothian v Inverness Caledonian Thistle

Any idea when these games getting played? I know QOS beat CC last and Hearts game v ICT cancelled today but what about the others?

Only game to beat the weather was Motherwell - Killie which has just finished 1-0 to the 'Well.

They join Ross County and Queens in the last 8.

The remaining fourth round ties look like they'll be played later in December - next round is due to be played before the end of January so a bit of catching up to do after this weekend's postponements.

Archived