Ayr United v Brechin

stevemc81

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounded like 2nd goal killed it ! Trouten seemed to have a decent game and Gerry was always gonna notch!

Commentary was not that bad funny at times , better than watching BBC Scotland website . We re gonna struggle over next month or so I guess but we ll get there . Good luck to Ayr for rest of cup campaign?

Impressive from Ayr today. Sure there's more to come. Just need another couple of players for depth and we will be there. Wasn't too impressed by Brechin. Could be a long season there..

According to Chick and Richard on the Ayr commentary , Brechin were dominant in the second half before Ayr got their second. A case of Brechin not taking their chances then getting punnished on the break ?

Also had a wee chuckle when every Brechin challenge was described as taking out the Ayr player.

Fairly easy win for Ayr. Brechin were better than I expected considering all the players they have lost but never really looked like scoring. They did have good periods of possession though and competed for every ball but the better team won. Think both teams will improve as the season progresses but think Brechin will struggle a bit in the league, mid table at best.

Brechin had one chance in 90min so I wouldn't describe them as dominant at any point, Ayr, much the same as last week did everything well without being flashy, again deserved the win but didn't look like running away with it.

On the tackles, there were two or three bad challenges and Fusco booted Forrest up the arse rather than chase him but it wasn't a dirty game. Brechin were ok, defended well enough, didn't have much in midfield or attack.

We did it in second gear. The introduction of Forrest gave us more fluency up top and the interplay between him and Trouten already looks exciting.

Brilliant to see how solid we are at the back. It's been years since we've looked this organised and not many teams will leave Somerset with points this year.

Brechin looked limited (to be expected given their summer departures) but they were still streets ahead of what we faced in Albion last week.

Brechin never gave up and were better than what I expected, they never created much in front of goal though. Ayr done enough to win and will play better once we have our first choice team on the park.

A slow start to the season is to be expected for us given the change in management team and losing a number of top players for this level. However, it doesn't make it any less disappointing to be out of both cups at the first hurdle having scored none and conceded five against teams in the same league.

Someone mentioned above that we won't be much better than mid-table this season, I'd snap your hand off for that at the moment. We still have some quality players but the guys coming in aren't near as good as the ones that have left.

Brechin had a short corner at one point. They went to play a 1-2 and passed it straight out for a goal kick. This was just one of many embarrassments for them, a Mark Roberts style shambles.

We were pretty good again today. Some strike from Paddy!

Since the train fare to Inverness is a lot more than to Ayr I decided to take the day off from supporting Motherwell and came to this match.

First half was pretty poor, apart from the goal I don't remember either goalkeeper having a save to make, and it was played at a very slow pace. Probably the highlight was a chest high tackle by Jerry McLaughlin! He's 26 years old? Tough paper round.

The lad Forrest got Ayr going when he came on and game went up a gear. Alan Trouten, who had been anonymous up until then, suddenly came on to a game. I remember seeing him many years ago on another day off from Motherwell at Queens Park and him really standing out and of course he's gone on to have a pretty good career in the lower divisions.

Felt Graeme Smith made a complete hash of the second goal but I'll admit to some bias against him from his time at Fir Park.

Overall Ayr worth the 2-0 score line but I thought Brechin were pretty poor and looked fairly toothless. They have a lot of big lads in the team but it was pretty agricultural from them both on and off the ball.

Obviously didn't play today but hopefully Craig Moore has a good loan spell down there. Might pop down again one day if I have a free Saturday to see how he gets on.

Archived